Driving Light - Fog Light Switch 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Driving Light - Fog Light Switch
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I am wondering what types of switch if any people are using for their driving/fog lights. I am stumped at the moment as I am trying to find a switch that will fit in with an EF Fairmont dash, any pics would be appreciated.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

from what Ive seen so far, most people go with the missile type switch, but it all depends if you want to go dioscreet or don't care or need to handle 50 billion amperes.. etc.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I borrowed a rear window wiper switch from a wagon and used that. looks standard!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
I borrowed a rear window wiper switch from a wagon and used that. looks standard!
I was looking at getting another rear window demister switch and using that. You had no problems adapting the switch to use with driving lights?

Last edited by SWC on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BAII XR8 Ute

QLD, Australia

This is what im using in my AU. It might give you an idea. Ive also got a ute so I had the empty space there where the boot/fuel cap buttons i think would usually be.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

We just bought a standard automotive switch with a light in it, and made a bracket for it, and bolted it up next to the hood latch switch.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

You cant use a demister switch as its only a momentary on. The same applies for boot release, its only momentary on (Perfect for a second horn, but no good for driving/fog lights). A said above a rear wiper switch is perfect as it looks factory and blends in. Even an arial half height switch will work for you (If EL have these). Im in an AU so cant be specific. you can simply have one hidden away that cant be seen, but can be reached so that you can have anything you want in there. I had a switch mounted there for my driving lights, tucked under the dash in my AU, and in my old EA had it mounted to te top of the fuse box, you simply stuck a finger in the hole in the fuse box cover and switched them on or off.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

autickfordfairmont wrote:
You cant use a demister switch as its only a momentary on. The same applies for boot release, its only momentary on (Perfect for a second horn, but no good for driving/fog lights). A said above a rear wiper switch is perfect as it looks factory and blends in. Even an arial half height switch will work for you (If EL have these). Im in an AU so cant be specific. you can simply have one hidden away that cant be seen, but can be reached so that you can have anything you want in there. I had a switch mounted there for my driving lights, tucked under the dash in my AU, and in my old EA had it mounted to te top of the fuse box, you simply stuck a finger in the hole in the fuse box cover and switched them on or off.
Thanks for the info on Demister switch, had a feeling that may be the case. I will pick up a wiper switch and see what I can do with that.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

kenz wrote:
This is what im using in my AU. It might give you an idea. Ive also got a ute so I had the empty space there where the boot/fuel cap buttons i think would usually be.

I used a similar switch for my fog lights ... but it lights up orange. It's a bit more round than that ... but the same position as yours Ken.

My driving lights switch is under the fuse box cover at the base of the dash (that's a simple metal rocker switch that stays on all the time) and is switched through my high beams.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:53 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Try a column shift auto ECON switch - looks like the demister switch, except it should be an on/off type, and not a momentary. Should be a good fit provided you fit a fairmont wagon cover bezel.
Antenna half height switch would fit as mentioned, but due to it's angled cover, you'd need to put a demist switch cover on it.

You might want to have a go at making a custom caption for the switch cover - what you do is remove the switch cover (2 clips)spray it with vinyl spray, and use an engraver to etch a light symbol into it - takes practice to just go through the cover colour down to the white plastic - don't go too deep. Be wise to make a template and practice on some demist switch covers (switches should be cheap from a self serve wrecker).
Then your setup will look factory.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]