Fordmods Logo

EA Fairmont Ghia Cruise into ED GLi Classic. Help! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Fairmont Ghia Cruise into ED GLi Classic. Help!
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

I am in the process on installing cruise out of a EA Mont Ghia wreck, and am having some troubles. I have made my own wiring loom, and am using custom switches. I have looked around using the search function, but need some more answer.

Here is the situation.

Put everything in, wired the switches correctly. However, I am not using an off switch, as I want the cruise to come on and go off with the car. So, I have wired the on switch to a positive run, not a momentary switch. The Set / Resume buttons aren't working. Is this because the on switch is constantly getting power and not being used with a momentary switch? Or is my vacuum pump screwed?

Just after some suggestions as for what to do next.

By the way, the cruise light comes on so the speed controller is working as far as I know.

Cheers!

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

it needs to me a momentary contact switch wired up correctly.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xpression wrote:
it needs to me a momentary contact switch wired up correctly.

And that would be the reason the other cruise buttons aren't working?

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

A capacitor in series with the activate line may work to make it momentary. you will probably need a bleed resistor in paralell with the capacitor to drain it when the ignition is off. you will also need a reverse-biased diode across the cuise module to prevent teh -ve spike on turining the ignition off from blowing up the module. The values used will require some experimentation. It may also not work at all, i am not sure of pulse width, voltage adn current requirements for the module. You could also use a simple 555 or transistor based single shot circuit. This assumes that the cruise will automatically turn off when the ignition is killed.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Bump.

Wired up in momentary, but the set res switches still don't work. So either my wiring is wrong, or the vacuum pump isn't working. How do I test this?

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

The set resume momentary switches have specific resisitors in line so that the cruise module can recognise what action should be taken.

The set button uses a 330ohm and the coast resume uses a 1000ohm.

I am interested in how you set up the cruise to come on when you turn the car on as this is something I would like to do for when I get a sports steering wheel.

Regards
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
The set resume momentary switches have specific resisitors in line so that the cruise module can recognise what action should be taken.

The set button uses a 330ohm and the coast resume uses a 1000ohm.

I am interested in how you set up the cruise to come on when you turn the car on as this is something I would like to do for when I get a sports steering wheel.

Regards
BenJ

Well, now it doesn't come on with the car, as I changed it to a switch. However, when I just had it on the ACC line, it seemed to be fine when I turned the car on.

But, I have remote start, so I reckon I could wire it to the momentary pulse and it would work. Then again, maybe not. I haven't tested it.

I have the resistors on the switches as well. The resistors might be f**k, but I don't think so. The earths for the speed controller and the switches are earthed in different places though. Does this make a difference? I wouldn't think it would, but I am running out of ideas. I need to test the vacuum pump, but I am not sure how.

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]