EB Gli gets an LCD CLuster 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EB Gli gets an LCD CLuster
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

hey guys. i've got an EBII GLi and i recently bought an LCD cluster and the extra 20-pin connector. Now before you tell to to read up just know that i've already read the tech doc on this site about upgrading clusters and searched this site and fordforums and read all the posts i could find on cluster upgrades.

my car is an EBII GLi 4-spd 6-cyl pre-smartlock.

my problem is that i cant get the speedo to work. i've rewired the whole cluster and these things work:

-indicators
-backlighting (and dimming)
-LCD illumination
-power mode jewel
-alternator and oil lights
-"lamps on" warning
-tacho
-fuel
-temp

the speedo doesn't work at all ie. no number displayed and the same goes for the trip and odometer. the tacho does work but it's out (i have a digital tacho too) so i think the cluster may have been from a V8. the other issue i'm having is that my gearbox is stuck in limp home mode unless i row it thru the gears or stick it in power mode.

so im wondering how i can solve this problem. ie. do i need the trip computer from a high series or do i need a high series ECU?

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

if the cluster is from a 8, then the tacho wont read properly, but you shouldnt have any illumination problems, check the tech doco's and make sure you wired it all correctly, other then that, i dont know it sounds weird. good luck

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i've had a minor breakthrough...when i was playing with everything i noticed that my hazzards didn't work (but my indicators did :S) so i checked all my fuses and found that my hazzards one was blown so after replacing it i now have numbers coming up on the speedo, trip and odo but the speedo, etc still doesn't work (and hence im still stuck in limp home mode). i'm thinking maybe i've blown the sender unit on the box (and hopefully not the box itself). i've also got the flapping doors problem that someone else described in another thread but i kno how to fix that.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

"flapping doors" other wise known as door ajar warning. You'll need to buy the "door ajar" sensors that sit in the door, the boot and fuel door (6 in total). If you dunno what these look like, just tell me and i'll explain

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i know i need relays and resistors to fix the flapping doors but that wasn't my biggest problem..not having a speedo was.. its ok now because i scored an Spack dash from an ED and that works a treat. so if anyone wants to buy an LCD cluster for $50 let me know.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

Slabz wrote:
i know i need relays and resistors to fix the flapping doors but that wasn't my biggest problem..not having a speedo was.. its ok now because i scored an Spack dash from an ED and that works a treat. so if anyone wants to buy an LCD cluster for $50 let me know.

were not giving up are we???

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

LED Tacho? sounds like an XF cluster.. IIRC E series high series clusters still had an analogue tacho yeh?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xpression wrote:
LED Tacho? sounds like an XF cluster.. IIRC E series high series clusters still had an analogue tacho yeh?

i have a separate tacho that isnt part of the cluster...and that tacho is a digital one

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Slabz wrote:
i've had a minor breakthrough...when i was playing with everything i noticed that my hazzards didn't work (but my indicators did :S) so i checked all my fuses and found that my hazzards one was blown so after replacing it i now have numbers coming up on the speedo, trip and odo but the speedo, etc still doesn't work (and hence im still stuck in limp home mode). i'm thinking maybe i've blown the sender unit on the box (and hopefully not the box itself). i've also got the flapping doors problem that someone else described in another thread but i kno how to fix that.

Limp home mode in the tranny would have been because the ECU wasnt seeing a speedo signal. When you did your "rewiring" you must have missed something or maybe put something the wrong way round.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]