Fordmods Logo

eb xr6 engine 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: eb xr6 engine
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

Hi ppl i recently picked up a complete eb xr6 engine for 300 bucks and i want to put the head onto my 94 ef futura but what i would like to know is there any power differenc between the ef xr6 head and the eb one i thought id get some other opinions before i strip down this complete engine, my engine is standard int the ef except i have my extractors split into 2 seperate 2 inch pipes witch give its a little more lift but i thought the head with make it more lively

Post subject: Re: eb xr6 engine
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

fastcar wrote:
Hi ppl i recently picked up a complete eb xr6 engine for 300 bucks and i want to put the head onto my 94 ef futura but what i would like to know is there any power differenc between the ef xr6 head and the eb one i thought id get some other opinions before i strip down this complete engine, my engine is standard int the ef except i have my extractors split into 2 seperate 2 inch pipes witch give its a little more lift but i thought the head with make it more lively

The Tickford cars had around 9fwkw more than the std cars.

But, this was from a combination of the head, cam, 300kpa fuel pressure regulator, and ECU enhancements. The head had slightly different combustion chambers, and larger exhaust valves, and better valve springs.

Just bolting on the head on it's own will not make much, if any, difference. You need the full package for it to be noticeable.

In my opinion, the expense of changing the head over is not justified against the lack of performance in this situation. If however, you plan on adding a cam, J3 Chip, Fuel mods etc, then go for it.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sorry to hijack the thread :D
i just scored an EF XR6 head for $100, was a bit unsure if it would make any difference on its own also...

is it going to make much difference combined with my other mods?
just have a wade 1604 cam, will shave 50thou off the head exhaust etc, no chip.

like will the XR6 head give much or any more power of a standard head with that kind of mods?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Tickford head is better than a stock head, and will flow slightly better. Raising the compression by decking it always helps.

If you don't intend on having a head ported and polished, and/or having much larger valves installed, then the Ticky head is a good option.

I myself have a Ticky head to be recoed, and will install it in due time. But, I won't pull off a perfectly good std head, just to put it on YET!

In my case, I already have the Ticky ECU, Fuel Pressure Reg, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, intake mods, and the XR6 cam installed, I would see a minor improvement.

Hope this helps.

BenJ

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Well thanks for the reply, i though that would be the answer that i would properly get, although i am running the ef xr ecu now but i didn't know about the higher pressured fuel pump , and to do it right id realy need the diff center also , although i have gone to a little bit of trouble and converted my ef to a 5 speed manual and fitted it with the duel 2 and a quter inch systems , i kinda sounds nice , its not a bad looking car for its age its perfectly straight and its also factory monza red , and yea its a wagon as well , and i also made a body kit for it as wagon kits are hard to find , its pretty uch just a sprint one but lengthen but it looks good all the same , id do also have plans to repaint the interior in black as well ,if i get there lol

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I would like to see some pics of your wagon, as I am biased to a large degree :D

Some additional details re your exhaust too would be good.

Please note that the 'Fuel Pump' is the same in all the cars, but the 'Fuel Pressure Regulator' on the firewall end of the fuel rail, is different in the XRs.

You are probably aware that there are XR6 Wagons. These had the 3.45 diff in them, but there are as rare as rocking horse s**t.

I note that you are in Bundy. I went to Kepnock High School many years ago, and have a number of fond memories of the place.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi again, yes bundy is a nice place i haven't lived here very long though , about 5 years , well at least now i know ill only need the regulator and not the fule pump as they are metal tanks and probably a bastered to get the pump out , but as for the twin system it was rather easy to fit all i really had to do was adjust my fuel lines around a bit and i used the xd wagon v8 exhaust system to start with but other than that its reasonably straight forward , i think i had more problems with my xr headlights as i made these up out of Toyota Dyna twin light assembly , some minor cutting and welding and now i have a set of xr6 headlights , but if u want to see some pics its probably easier to do messenger for me anyway because im new to this site , my email is pcuser2@hotmail.com

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]