Fordmods Logo

ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 212

Joined: 11th Jan 2008

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

Location: Dandenong
VIC, Australia

Howdy, I currently had an ED Fairmont heater box in my car and I am preparing for my dash conversion.

I wanted to find out if there are any major differences between them.



Heater Box: ED Fairmont
Climate Unit: EF Fairmont
Dash and Body Loom: NL Fairlane


Will I have any dramas or is their something that I need to change beforehand.

Cheers

Kyle

 

_________________

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

KyleBardell wrote:
Howdy, I currently had an ED Fairmont heater box in my car and I am preparing for my dash conversion.

I wanted to find out if there are any major differences between them.



Heater Box: ED Fairmont
Climate Unit: EF Fairmont
Dash and Body Loom: NL Fairlane


Will I have any dramas or is their something that I need to change beforehand.

Cheers

Kyle


Hi Kyle

The ED heater box will work fine.

You will need to swap out the Fan Speed controller for the EF one.

You must use the EF Vac Solenoid setup with the EF Climate Control Unit. The Vac Sol must also be relocated to a similar position to it's factory location in the EF. I made up some brackets to located it properly.

I presume you will be using an EL ECU? You will need to run some wires to the ECU from the A/C wiring as the EL ECU will control some of the operation.

It won't just plug in and play. There are other wiring differences as well to do with the fan control. When I get some time I will look it all up again.

BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 212

Joined: 11th Jan 2008

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

Location: Dandenong
VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
KyleBardell wrote:
Howdy, I currently had an ED Fairmont heater box in my car and I am preparing for my dash conversion.

I wanted to find out if there are any major differences between them.



Heater Box: ED Fairmont
Climate Unit: EF Fairmont
Dash and Body Loom: NL Fairlane


Will I have any dramas or is their something that I need to change beforehand.

Cheers

Kyle


Hi Kyle

The ED heater box will work fine.

You will need to swap out the Fan Speed controller for the EF one.

You must use the EF Vac Solenoid setup with the EF Climate Control Unit. The Vac Sol must also be relocated to a similar position to it's factory location in the EF. I made up some brackets to located it properly.

I presume you will be using an EL ECU? You will need to run some wires to the ECU from the A/C wiring as the EL ECU will control some of the operation.

It won't just plug in and play. There are other wiring differences as well to do with the fan control. When I get some time I will look it all up again.

BenJ


Cheers for that BenJ, i remember hearing that their is a difference between EF/EL, something to do with vacuum lines or something, im just concerned because im using an EL/NL Dash loom with an EF Climate unit and an ED Heaterbox.

 

_________________

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 56

Posts: 1597

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

Location: Riverstone
NSW, Australia

As long as you match the vacuum unit with the main climate control unit you'll be fine - EF to EF, EL to EL. You'll find the EF's have 2 different vacuum controls - a black one for EF I and a blue one for EF II. The EL's also have blue ones. And of course you climate control will have black buttons for EF and grey buttons for EL :)

Cheers
RD

 

_________________

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:06 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 212

Joined: 11th Jan 2008

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

Location: Dandenong
VIC, Australia

racedirector wrote:
As long as you match the vacuum unit with the main climate control unit you'll be fine - EF to EF, EL to EL. You'll find the EF's have 2 different vacuum controls - a black one for EF I and a blue one for EF II. The EL's also have blue ones. And of course you climate control will have black buttons for EF and grey buttons for EL :)

Cheers
RD

Cheers RD, it is making me think whether I should change to the EL style buttons, does the change in VAC lines actually make a difference, and will I have to pull the heaterbox out for any of this, i wanna keep my A/C Gas

 

_________________

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

There is no need to remove the heater box. So yes you won't loose the A/C gas.

Just make sure you source the Climate Control Module and Vac Solenoid from the same model and series ie. EF11 and it should be fine.

EL Climate Modules are harder to find and they have grey buttons instead of black ones.

BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:21 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 1093

Joined: 29th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

Location: Lower Hunter Valley
NSW, Australia

Here's one here, an EF control unit fitted with EL buttons.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-Fair ... 240%3A1318

 

_________________

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 212

Joined: 11th Jan 2008

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

Location: Dandenong
VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the reply's guys, I am thinking of getting hold of an EL Style climate module for the sake of having it look newer and fancy etc etc. From what you have informed me on, as long as I get the EL style vacuum pack and vacuum lines, and fan speed controller and relocate it to the position that is on an EL, all should be good?

PS: Does anyone know why Ford made it different in the EL?


Cheers
Kyle

 

_________________

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 5582

Joined: 20th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

Location: Seven Hills, Sydney
NSW, Australia

Ford also made a change from EF1 to EF2 in regards to the CC logic.

And, no, there is no known reason.

BenJ

 

_________________

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ED-EF/EL CC Heater Box Differences
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 am 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 212

Joined: 11th Jan 2008

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BF Fairlane Ghia, BA XR8 Ute

Location: Dandenong
VIC, Australia

I cant believe that the heaterbox's were the same, just changed a few items on the box itself. I might see what I can get hold of the quickest.


Cheers for that BenJ

 

_________________

The Luxo Cruiser - 07 BF Fairlane
Silhouette,Pedders CoilOvers, Whiteline Adjustable Swaybars, BluePower Tune and Airbox, DiFillipo Headers and Cat with Catback, FPV Brake Upgrade, G6ET Wheels

The New daily/Toy - 2004 BA XR8 Ute
Mercury Silver, 5 Speed Manual, a factory Blownup Boss 260 :P

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names