Fordmods Logo

ED - Electrical Problems, Please Help! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ED - Electrical Problems, Please Help!
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ED Futrua Classic - Manual

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

I am new to this site, I had a quick look around but couldn't find any info on this issue/s ... please point me in the right direction?

I have an ED manual and have had some electrical problems (or so i am assuming they are electrical).

1) My horn is constantly on. A few years ago (yes, i am driving around without a horn) i was driving, turned a corner and the horn just came on and didnt stop. It was like the horn pad got stuck or something so i cleaned all the contacts in the wheel, but to no avail .. any ideas?

2) My speedo needle cuts in and out when I drive over the smallest of bumps. If its not working, ill tap the top of the dash or around the fuse box and it'll start working again (at least until i drive over the next bump). Also, if cruise control is on and set and the needle cuts out, so will cruise control. Sometimes it will cut out completely, other times it will momentarily cut out and go back to where it was set (but the needle wont).

3) Just recently, I started having trouble with starting the car. Sometimes it just wont kick over .. battery isnt dead, it just wont kick. I replaced the starter motor (thats what I initially thought it was), checked all wiring contacts .. still nothing. After two weeks of thinking I couldnt drive it, it decides to kick itself over. Now when i go to start it and if it doesnt start the first time, ill try until it does start ... its starting to annoy me!

Im not that electrically minded, but it seems to me that something is shorting out and causing these things to happen?

I dont know if any of these problems are related but I am hoping that someone can help!

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:55 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2010 g6e turbo

SA, Australia

s**t, you must have some good nerves i'd have lost the plot by now and put it up 4 sale. Good luck someone should be able to help

2010 G6E TURBO

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

1) get a new horn pad....mine did the same a couple of years back in the heat. The guts of it fell apart leaving the two metals plates contacting each other constantly.

2) no idea but sure someone will know

3) BEM....try tapping you dash or steeing column at the same time as turning the key and see if it starts. Common as.

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

1) I had the same problem , just pop the bonnet , and disconnect the horn wire for now , then get a new horn pad. I still havent got around to fixing it lol too slack

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I think i've heard its the bem, from a previous post, look for bem problems in the search.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

bats wrote:
1) I had the same problem , just pop the bonnet , and disconnect the horn wire for now , then get a new horn pad. I still havent got around to fixing it lol too slack

yeah, its been disconnected for a while n i havent been bothered to fix it either .. until now.

Thanks, ill get a new horn pad.

Post subject: 3)
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el xr8

NSW, Australia

i have the same problem with starting car so i took 2 my auto elect he told me above hand brake there is a module 2 replace but at moment just smack dash below it while starting car

i smell bad even when fm members drive past lol.

Post subject: 3)
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i have the same problem with starting car so i took 2 my auto elect he told me above hand brake there is a module 2 replace but at moment just smack dash below it while starting car

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

jases ed - the heat theroy sounds about right. i was living in brisbane and it was summer when it happened! ... if i do get stuck, ill remember to tap the dash ... thanks!

smiley235 - thanks, ill have a look

fordebgt93 - i dont suppose you know what the module is? have you fixed yours? is it much effort to?

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

The module is the BEM. Think they called in body control module and it is up in behind the handbrake. Hit the dash, steering column, slam the hand brake in pick one of the above and at the same time turn the key and if that's your problem, it will start. Smart light should be flashing at you too when it won't start, if the BEM is dodgy.

Mine has been dodgy for years. I have one sitting in the shed I got from the wreckers before Xmas, just have got round to changing it yet.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i have not fixed as yet ,my auto elect says it part of smartlock system and 4 him 2 do i looking around $130 or replace with new auto elect say close 2 $1000 and that i cant pull from my pocket in 1 hit

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Just a tip for #3, pull out the starter relay (alongside the battery, nearest to the headlight) and run 2 wires to the terminals nearest the front guard, and the one directly opposite next to the battery, run this to a button, and problem solved (well thats what i did STARTER BUTTONED ED Uleh)

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Post subject: Re: ED - Electrical Problems, Please Help!
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

1. The horn on sounds like horn pad.
2. Is it coincidence that when you tap the dash the speedo works? or it's definitely kicking in when you tap it?
3. Faulty BEM, Bad earth/battery terminals/starter motor/relay.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Just a tip for #3, pull out the starter relay (alongside the battery, nearest to the headlight) and run 2 wires to the terminals nearest the front guard, and the one directly opposite next to the battery, run this to a button, and problem solved (well thats what i did STARTER BUTTONED ED Uleh)

really, this fixed the problem?

Post subject: Re: ED - Electrical Problems, Please Help!
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

smoke_ wrote:
2. Is it coincidence that when you tap the dash the speedo works? or it's definitely kicking in when you tap it?

No, definitely kicks in when i tap the dash, or hit a bump in the road. Anything will jolt it on and off. And the cruise control cutting in and out is linked to this as well. when the needle cuts out, so does cruise control??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next