Fordmods Logo

ED mirror problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ED mirror problem
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Hi, I just got an ED GLi wagon but I have a problem with the mirrors. They both move up and down fine but neither moves from side to side. I just get a grinding sound from the mirror when I push the stick sideways. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just grab a couple of secondhand mirrors.

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Private9 wrote:

Having just spent a couple of hours mucking around trying to fix my mirrors I wish I'd taken your advice! The mirrors are made so that it's almost impossible to fix them without breaking them (which is what ended up happening).

It was just as I thought -- the motors were fine but the screw-stalk type thing for the sideways motion had popped out. Unfortunately, the thing that houses them is welded on to the mirror frame and you have to break it off to fix them, then glue it back on.

Too much pissing around for my liking. So if anyone reading this has the same problem, you're best off just replacing the whole thing.

Post subject: Re: ED mirror problem
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ED Futura Classic

VIC, Australia

awsome thanks mate i have the same problem with my passenger mirror, ill just get another one..!! you saved me hours Cheers mate!

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

tss26 wrote:
Private9 wrote:

Having just spent a couple of hours mucking around trying to fix my mirrors I wish I'd taken your advice! The mirrors are made so that it's almost impossible to fix them without breaking them (which is what ended up happening).

It was just as I thought -- the motors were fine but the screw-stalk type thing for the sideways motion had popped out. Unfortunately, the thing that houses them is welded on to the mirror frame and you have to break it off to fix them, then glue it back on.

Too much pissing around for my liking. So if anyone reading this has the same problem, you're best off just replacing the whole thing.

Yes i found that out too, i tried fixing the spring inside one (it popped off the tab) but unlike EF/L they aren't serviceable at all. My advice, before you go spending big bucks on more EB/D mirrors, do the EF/L mirror mod, worth the time and effort plus would work out only slightly more expensive.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]