Post subject: EF and EL Fan Speed Controllers
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

Are they the same??

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I'm not sure that they are. Is it true that in the EF, the only time both thermo fans come on is when you turn the interior fan all the way up the max. I've heard this stated, and I've tried it out for myself and sure enough, the temp goes down a notch when I turn the fan up to high. A bit ridiculous if it's true?

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

they should be different since the fans themselves are different,, on the ef one is a two-speed whereas the el uses paralel/series switching to acheive the extra speeds

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

noticing that you put this in the interior mods section im going to guess you are talking about the blower fan not the engine fan and say YES.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Leroy wrote:
noticing that you put this in the interior mods section im going to guess you are talking about the blower fan not the engine fan and say YES.

yes i am talking about the interior fan...

Thought that would have been a bit obvious...

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Pretty sure EA-EL is all the same.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:
Pretty sure EA-EL is all the same.

nope, EF, well i know definatly the EL FSC has inputs from the ECU. Even the EA is different from the ED. According to my diagrams the ED FSC is controlled soley by the CC unit

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:43 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Maybe you should have specified Climate or non Climate.

EA to EL non climate are all exactly the same.

EA to ED climate are different, as from memory they dont have as many fan speeds, plus the extra wiring you discovered.

EF and EL are the same, as they both have 10 fan speeds. But that extra wire is to tell the ECU when the fan is set above a certain speed (8 I think) to get it to bump up the idle to compensate for the extra load on the electrical system. The speeds are controlled by the CC unit, not the ECU as you think.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Maybe you should have specified Climate or non Climate.

EA to EL non climate are all exactly the same.

EA to ED climate are different, as from memory they dont have as many fan speeds, plus the extra wiring you discovered.

EF and EL are the same, as they both have 10 fan speeds. But that extra wire is to tell the ECU when the fan is set above a certain speed (8 I think) to get it to bump up the idle to compensate for the extra load on the electrical system. The speeds are controlled by the CC unit, not the ECU as you think.

very handy info there. And just what i wanted to hear as well :)

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef futura/ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

the ef thermo fans hardly ever switch to high speed where the el's are different altogether,the ef thermo's have two speeds on the drivers side and three on the passenger side,found this out from a auto elec you can manipulate the fans to run at high speed but will burn out a/c pump faster.

custom airbox,custom intake
paccie comps,lukey 2.5 cat back,high flow cat
CMS stg2 head,CMS stg2.A. cam,CMS hybrid auto with mod shift,3.9 lsd
custom 3500rpm hi stall
ANZ mayhem 18's,custom interior,venom body kit,xr wing,jumbo 2' low springs
143rwkw and 407rwnm on CMS dyno

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

green machine wrote:
the ef thermo fans hardly ever switch to high speed where the el's are different altogether,the ef thermo's have two speeds on the drivers side and three on the passenger side,found this out from a auto elec you can manipulate the fans to run at high speed but will burn out a/c pump faster.

umm, read the post (interior fan)
also how the hell is the a/c compressor going to burn out fron the hi speed fans? I guess if the elec routed the +ve to the AC clutch as well as teh fans then he'd be a d*ldo.

I've added 2x 2 throw relays to my AC clutch power to trigger the 4 relays to turn the fans on to hi speed when the AC is on, in return this maintains airflow to the condensor and keeps the ac pump cooler and keeps my engine at a nice temp during peak hour in the summer!

keeping the AC compressor cool will prolong its life as scroll pumps can fatigue/warp in heat and it only takes one peice to foul and its dead!

I've been meaning to submit this mod to a moderator for review but motivation on diagrams doesn't permit!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Krytox wrote:
green machine wrote:

also how the hell is the a/c compressor going to burn out fron the hi speed fans? I guess if the elec routed the +ve to the AC clutch as well as teh fans then he'd be a d*ldo.

I've added 2x 2 throw relays to my AC clutch power to trigger the 4 relays to turn the fans on to hi speed when the AC is on, in return this maintains airflow to the condensor and keeps the ac pump cooler and keeps my engine at a nice temp during peak hour in the summer!

keeping the AC compressor cool will prolong its life as scroll pumps can fatigue/warp in heat and it only takes one peice to foul and its dead!

I've been meaning to submit this mod to a moderator for review but motivation on diagrams doesn't permit!
umm,try again post says ef-el fan speed controllers! does not state (interior or exterior) as there is more than one fan! and as to the a/c compressor,I just had mine fixed up and was asking my auto elec about fixing a bypass for the cooling fans to run at high speed,and he said he could run the two relays as what you said but would short'n the life of the a/c compressor as it would run too high for to long.NOT my words his!

custom 3500rpm hi stall

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sorry didn't read the what forum only saw the topic!

custom 3500rpm hi stall

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

green machine wrote:
Krytox wrote:
green machine wrote:

umm,try again post says ef-el fan speed controllers! does not state (interior or exterior) as there is more than one fan! and as to the a/c compressor,I just had mine fixed up and was asking my auto elec about fixing a bypass for the cooling fans to run at high speed,and he said he could run the two relays as what you said but would short'n the life of the a/c compressor as it would run too high for to long.NOT my words his!

We are in the interior forums... Not the exterior or 6 Cyl/V8 forum. So a fairly decent assumption could be made that fordz would be talking about the cabin fans.

Then if we add this post:

fordzatmyplace wrote:
yes i am talking about the interior fan...

Thought that would have been a bit obvious...

Which was put up many posts before yours would kill any question as to whether fordz was talking interior or exterior.

Maybe an apology to Krytox is due. :wink:

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

green machine wrote:
sorry didn't read the what forum only saw the topic!

I dare say you didnt read the whole thread at all... Saw the title and saw fit to post whore a post which added no value to the overall thread. :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next