Fordmods Logo

EF boot lid wont open 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EF boot lid wont open
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef fairmont

SA, Australia

Firstly hello to all this is my first post and I hope some one has got an idea how I can overcome it!My problem is I cant get my boot lid open Its a ef fairmont on aftermarket gas(no access to boot thru back seat).The remote makes the soleniod operate but wont open it same with the dash button and the key doesnt work either.I've tried levering the lid while using remote, dash button & key, still no luck.I just hope I dont get a flat tyre, my wife drives the thing most of the time.Anyone got any ideas at all seems theres no easy answer, cheers.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon

VIC, Australia

press the release button a few times and then just pull really hard upwards ;)

if all else fails, take it to someone and get them to try to fix it, and if they f**k it up, they pay to get it fixed! everybody wins!

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

tried pushing down on the bootlid while pressing the button?

Banned

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
tried pushing down on the bootlid while pressing the button?

thats what works with my gf's bonnet lol, have to hold it down while u click it!

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

when u do get it open just check in and around the boot area for glue thats gone hard, these bits crumble and can come off and sometimes can jam in between the mechanism! thats what happened to me :)

Team EGO

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Does it actually make the clicking noise when you activate the button for the boot? Common for the lock wiring to unplug when uve been playing around with the boot carpeting, wouldnt hurt to check it; its located on the drivers side near the strut if you can see in that far.

other than that and if it is clicking (trying to unlock) press down on the boot like the guys said.

Goodluck

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Post subject: Re: EF boot lid wont open
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

ged46 wrote:
...cant get my boot lid open...remote makes the soleniod operate but wont open it same with the dash button and the key doesnt work either. I've tried levering the lid while using remote, dash button & key, still no luck....

So how did it go in getting into your boot ?

If you can hear the solendoid operating as you say, and the key won't work and it's not stuck so pushing the boot down doesn't help. I would think that the control rod/wire has come away from the lock mechanism (but i'm not too familiar with its construction) :)

Your best bet would be to go to the wreckers and look at how the lock mechanism works. Check if there is any way you can operate the mechanism using a long wire from the back seat. If you can't, it may be time to use a 'can opener' and cut an access hole in your boot, then get it open and replace the boot with another one from the wreckers.

Just be very careful if you have to cut the access hole. A grinder will create lots of sparks which burn holes in carpet and more importantly these sparks do not mix well with leaking LPG creating an explosion risk.
I would use a drill and nibbler to cut the access hole :D

If this sounds like too much, take it to a dealer and see if they have some trick that opens the boot.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef fairmont

SA, Australia

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their time and effort to reply to my problem.I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply but I've been away working.To say this was a frustrating problem would be an understatement, I tried all the bump, lift, go to the local dealer and even a couple of wreckers, the last told me there was only one solution, radical surgery on the boot! I noticed at the last wrecker I visited that making a hole in behind the number plate I could get to where I needed to be! Anyway with a tape measure and a 4" hole saw I managed to get the f----n thing open, turned out it was a small piece of what must be sound deadening foam (looks a bit like honeycomb) that had stopped the lock from opening properly, once that was clear it worked perfectly, I covered the hole with some tin and silicon which is all behind the number plate, nice neat job even if I do say so myself. Well at least I can get to my spare now! Thanks again to all who responded. :D Cheers Gerry

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: V8 VE Calais V Spec

Power: 262 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What a bugger of a job......

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago on an ex Taxi.....
My problem was the thing was re-sprayed, and the loom was disconnected in the boot (No boot release), and some bastard (I think it was me Lol) forgot to reconnect the key tumbler to the lock release cable thingy.....

anyways, the way I got in, incase it helps anybody, is I removed the drivers side light (Its possible to do with the boot closed), pried the boot open a little bit, and pulled on the cable with long nose pliers.....

I also tried removing the plastic number plate screw holder thingy (Bottom right), and using logn nose pliers to pull on the cable there, but because the cable had not been connected, it was hanging down way to low... Hence the light trick !

Still, I wasted a couple of hours doing that trick..... Cutting a smallish hole in the boot is the better option in hindsight Lol !

VE Calais V8, IQ, HSV instruments and brembos fitted.
IQ, IPC, BCM all hacked and programmed without TECH2 :)

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

ged46 wrote:
Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their time and effort to reply to my problem.I'm sorry I've taken so long to reply but I've been away working.To say this was a frustrating problem would be an understatement, I tried all the bump, lift, go to the local dealer and even a couple of wreckers, the last told me there was only one solution, radical surgery on the boot! I noticed at the last wrecker I visited that making a hole in behind the number plate I could get to where I needed to be! Anyway with a tape measure and a 4" hole saw I managed to get the f----n thing open, turned out it was a small piece of what must be sound deadening foam (looks a bit like honeycomb) that had stopped the lock from opening properly, once that was clear it worked perfectly, I covered the hole with some tin and silicon which is all behind the number plate, nice neat job even if I do say so myself. Well at least I can get to my spare now! Thanks again to all who responded. :D Cheers Gerry

TOLD YA SO! exactly what happened to me hardened foam, glue s**t stuck in the mechanism :D C*** of a thing it was

Team EGO

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:27 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Sounds like a fun exercise

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]