Fordmods Logo

ef cluster problem(URGENT) 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: ef cluster problem(URGENT)
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

ok so a very wierd problem has just accurd in my mates ef falcon ,

the problem being that the odometer and clock lcd's have stopped displaying the k's and the time but the light shines still?

so does anyone no wtf is going on coz i have no idea i was sure that the clock had it own little computer thing same with the odometer and to answer any further q's this happened at the same time ... ok now while typing this my mate has just informed me that the cluster is now not operational as in the speedo, tacko, fuel and temp gauges dont work ... guys could this mean that the ECU has s**t itself?

cheers

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Doubt the ECU would be the fault purely because it has nothing to do with the clock and odometer. There are various things to do with the BEM (Body Electrical Module) that resides at the drivers left knee in the dash. Could just be wiring coming loose - you havn't been d**k around with putting a new stereo in or anything have you?

Someone here will have a clue... Hope they wake up soon.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

my mates pulled the cluster off about 2 days age but it was all working ....i cant see why it would be the bem doesnt the odo and clock have there own seperate chip to run the lcd readout

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:47 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

has he checked the disp-inst fuse?

in fact all the fuses

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ill get him to ok he just called and sead that the car wont start due to battery being dead could this possibly be that the loom is shorting somewhere this is so wierd

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Kenay wrote:
my mates pulled the cluster off about 2 days age but it was all working ....i cant see why it would be the bem doesnt the odo and clock have there own seperate chip to run the lcd readout

Depends on if the LCD readout is NOT working, or just the light BEHIND the LCD readout is not working. Without the light working behind the LCD it will appear the LCD isn't working. Try reflecting some sun onto it or using a bright torch and you may just see that the LCD is working... There is a dimmer signal from the BEM that the instrument cluster and the clock (or trip computer) uses... Anyway.... Krytox says check fuses... And if there's a short somewhere, you will be blowing fuses anyway, and possibly flattening battery. If you've pulled the cluster out, try pulling it out again and making sure you have not sliced or crimped a wire putting it back in etc etc

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for that but like a stated in first post all you can see is the light shining behind the lcd i pulled the cluster our and tryed another one and still no luck just a light no readout

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

haha i have the opposite problem.

I can see the readout, but the light has stopped working.

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok i checked the fuse's and the wiring everything is sweet.. btw cluster was taken out 1hr before this all happened my mate was doing blue led conversion!

i dont see how nice could effect both the clock and odo but something has happend anymore thoughts

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

OsbornThomas, If the LCD's still work, and there is no light, the globe has simply gone. Just a normal T5.

Having the light and no lcd readout is strange though. Does the cluster work properly otherwise?

Seems strange, but Id say both the cluster and clock are damaged in some way, as the odo display is exclusively controlled by the cluster, and the clock display is also controlled only by the clock unit.

Try re-seating the connectors, otherwise id be trying another cluster/clock.

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

yeah very strange, like if you weren't getting light it could be as simple aswrong way around etc.

umm just a thought but maybe the legs on the led itself is shorting on the cluster somehow frying the lcd or something.

Actually did he make sure he put the screen back in the right way up, I don't know if it matters but I'd think so, as you have to take the display off the board itself to change the filter. make sure he put it in right way up and seated properly.

Also the filter he used did he change the filter to blue or white, he didn't forget to change the filters did he??
and he put it in the right spot, just behind the lcd right.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Post subject: cluster
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 08 BF Ghia

VIC, Australia

Sounds fried to me. Try swapping cluster into another EF to see if its 100% in the cluster or elsewhere.

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The LCD panels are really hard to fry. I've had them out and forgot which way was up, so I held a 12v battery, a magnet and a flat head screwdriver and played around with touching the contacts so that I could see the LCD's open to allow light through and read which way was up and down.

Maybe you could try making sure the contacts for the screens are clean... And remember that these LCD screens actually work in reverse... IE - They are constantly ON (ie BLACKED OUT) and then when the backlight is on and when the LCD is OPEN you can see light through it...

Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:39 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

sounds like possibly a bent pin when he has put the harness back in, either that or perhaps not put back in correctly, ie plug not all the in. If this has been checked, I would start to think that the memcal is buggered, probably shorted it out during the conversion. he wasn't soldering around the cluster was he? has not fropped something on the back of the board and shorted or shorting something out to stop it working? its almost certainly not ECU based as all the odo info is stored in the cluster not the BEM or ecu like a commodore.

But worst case I would say you will need to swap it out for another just to test if it has fried and thats the fix.

Dave

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i ve tryed 3 different clusters 1 i tried ftg no luck, then tryed another bem while at ftg , then tryed taking the alternater plug off no luck, then pulled dash right off checked all wiring and earths all good so im lost i got no idea and nothing was shorted i was watching yes he changed filter and it was all put back together correctly so anymore ideas

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next