EF conked out on me....D"OH 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF conked out on me....D"OH
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

g'day all!
I've got a 95 EF Falcon,dual fuel, and was driving it this afternoon when all of a sudden the steering got really heavy then the engine stopped dead in it's tracks.
It would start again,then go for probably 6 or 7 hundred metres then do it again.It's not a fuel problem as there is a full tank of LPG,and about 1/4 of petrol.
It's never happened before,(that i know of) so i got it home (was only 2 or 3 k's from home) and checked the oil,that was a bit low so i topped it up with Lucas oil additive,and it made it to the shops and back without conking out on me.
Has this ever happened to anybody before?If so,was it only an oil issue or might there be something more sinister that i've overlooked?
Also,what would the chances be of my engine ( i6) being stuffed?,even though i drove it for a very short distance home,and the coolant levels were ok?cuase i'm not too certain how it will go getting to work tomorrow!!
Thanking u in advance if anyone has any thoughts

"STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN or HIGHWAY TO HELL!"

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

does it do this on both gas and petrol, the same thing happened to my old EL turned out to be the fuel pump s**t itself, but mine wasn't dual fuel so it could be something else also

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

Similar happened to my mates EF and also my ED, both were ignition switches, its tempremental with when it turns off, and sometimes just turns back on as quick as it went off.
Then a few days ago it shorted one last time and melted the whole wire, and filled my car with smoke, damn hat wasnt fun.
Check the fuel pump first, check fuel lines etc aswell. If the engine was stuffed you know about it, lagging, and also noise wise.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

It did it while it was running on gas.
I'll look at the fuel pump,etc this ,but hopefully if i get to work and back and it doesn't conk out again,i'm hoping the oil was the actual cause for it dying,as thats a cheap and easy resolution.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

FUEL PUMP! had that happen to me before too

Team EGO

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thats a nice looking ride you've got there EF_Mont_Ghia.
I didn't think the fuel pump gets used if yer running on LPG,but i'll still have a look at it in near future.
I know it's in the tank,but do you have to replace a seal or gasket while yer at it?
I got to work and back ok today,so maybe it was just a bit low on oil,but istill can't think of why the steering would go really heavy just before it conked out,but then again,i'm not too familiar with the EF power (?) steering units,as i'd hate to be screaming down the freeway and it happened again! so i'm a bit nervous about that!!!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]