Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont climate control problem, HELP!!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF Fairmont climate control problem, HELP!!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi there Guys,
I got an EF fairmont and the damn climate control is malfucntioning, where the air comes from, and the display of same don't match up, the electrics are fine,(done self test, no error codes) I think is a vacum prob, and ford want around $900 to fix, they reckon the whole dash has to come out and will take 2 days+ the money, anyone out there who can help? Diagarms, info, tips, anything at all to help will be appreciated, i have a manual, but it isn't all that consice in that area. Cheers and beers to ya's guys & girls,

Two step forward, One step back will still get you there, It's just damn annoying!

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Concorde

ACT, Australia

definately a vacuum problem, the hoses are located behind the glove box as far as i know so its not that hard to check, might also be the vacuum line from the engine itself has come adrift.

2nd Place Summernats19 SQ Comp, Street Pro 0-600 Class
STEREO - 128.7db
JVC EXAD DVD and surround sound
3 X 10" Lanzar Dual Voice Coil 6ohm Subs
4 X 6.5" Alpine S-Type 2-way, front and back
JVC 6.6cm Center Speaker
Engine -
2.5" exhaust, SS Inductions CAI, K&N air filter. 132.6rwkw

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

if only you were in adelaide i would help.. cos i did that 4 weeks ago and it would be amusing to watch smoeone else do it, your doors could be broken, mine were, best way to check is look behind the dash, sorry no real easy cure here but if you are going to take it all apart, check vacuume hoses first before taking the dash apart and if you have to buy a replacement unit from a wreckers first, oh and dont forget... to remove the heater box unit u have to disconnect the aircon too

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

what do you mean that the icons dont match the air flow?

are you talking about every mode? or just 1 of them?

in dads, when u set it to "face" type mode, if you set the temperature above a certain temperature.. think it was liek 24 or something? it will send the air out onto the windscreen, i was told this was so hot air isnt blown onto your face..

cause hot air on face = sleepy driver

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

is that why when i choose face and floor in heat mode (26 degrees 4 example) face is cold air??

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Post subject: thanks guys!
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thanks for your answers, I am sure they will help along the way.
to clear up the icons dont match air thing, it don't matter what the temp is set at, in face mode sends to windscreen, foot & face mode sends to face only, foot and screen send to face only, and here's the funny bit, in screen only sends to face outlet, and i usually have the temp set tween 20 and 22 degrees, so it isnt anything to do with high temp, as far as i can see.
keep the ideas comming guys, all are appreciated. any diagrams or pics of things location would be very helpful too! cheers & beers!...........

Two step forward, One step back will still get you there, It's just damn annoying!

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

bummer, sounds like the problem i had, ok drivers side footwell behind where the base of the stereo or pocket for single deck there is a cover, behind that is a vacuume activated arm, the cover has 2 plastic tacs holding it in place, try to remove them, one each side, remove towards passanger side, i think its possible, anyway check the arms and the part it is connected to is not broken, get someone to change heater positions while you look or use a video camera!? if its broken plan a long weekend of fixing or find someone who knows to help... good luck

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

bentfairmont wrote:
is that why when i choose face and floor in heat mode (26 degrees 4 example) face is cold air??

thats what im lead to belive, because if you have ever had hot air blown onto your face it makes you sleepy, or me anyway :)

so i think when u choose face and feet, over a certain temp, ~24 cant remember what i tested it to.. hot air will come out the feet fast, and face will be slow cold, hot air will rise up anyway. so guess it all equals out.. but yes, i was told it was designed that way. is it possible ford put thought into something they made? :shock:

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
in dads, when u set it to "face" type mode, if you set the temperature above a certain temperature.. think it was liek 24 or something? it will send the air out onto the windscreen, i was told this was so hot air isnt blown onto your face..

Maybe only in Auto, cause you can definatly pump hot air out the face vents in manual.

It may also be a vacuum leak as insufficent vacuum will cause the air to be diverted to screen (default) regardless of what mode is selected.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

OK i think i can help here, I've got a copy of the Bible the FoMoCo factory manual. There aren't many pages so I scanned them off and zipped it up.
You can download it from here http://home.iprimus.com.au/loward/16-3-AutoClimateControl.zip.
But there might be references to other areas you may need so send me a pm if you need other bits. :)

If anybody wants any other sections I can scan em off for ya's.
I've got a couple of sections already scanned so I can print off bits I need and drag them into the garage and get greasy fingerprints on them instead of my rather expensive manuals cause I don't like paying some other half-assed F**kwit to do a s**t job.. :evil:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Post subject: Re: EF Fairmont climate control problem, HELP!!!!!!!
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

perevem wrote:
Hi there Guys,
I got an EF fairmont and the damn climate control is malfucntioning, where the air comes from, and the display of same don't match up, the electrics are fine,(done self test, no error codes) I think is a vacum prob, and ford want around $900 to fix, they reckon the whole dash has to come out and will take 2 days+ the money, anyone out there who can help? Diagarms, info, tips, anything at all to help will be appreciated, i have a manual, but it isn't all that consice in that area. Cheers and beers to ya's guys & girls,

You haven't changed the climate control computer to an EL one by any chance, or is it still the EF one?

If its still the EF computer, then I would say specifically the vaccum soleonoid pack had failed.

I've seen this one time before, with the exact same symptoms. Just need to know the answer to my first question to tell you which way to go.

Post subject: yep, i change the panel!
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I changed the panel, but i think it was from an EF, although I bought it used from a guy in WA, I sent of an email to him to check, but I am pretty sure it was from an EF, although I would be interested to know what to do if it was from an EL anyway!.......keep those suggestions commin' boys, I'm listening to 'em all........cheers and beers.................perevem

Post subject: Re: yep, i change the panel!
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

perevem wrote:
I changed the panel, but i think it was from an EF, although I bought it used from a guy in WA, I sent of an email to him to check, but I am pretty sure it was from an EF, although I would be interested to know what to do if it was from an EL anyway!.......keep those suggestions commin' boys, I'm listening to 'em all........cheers and beers.................perevem

Look at it this way, you have to be sure if it is EF or EL. Are the buttons on the new CC unit black or the same colour as you interior (grey/cuppa). If they are the same colour as your interior, you have an EL unit.

In this case, the circuitry inside the EL unit is different to the EF and it does not work properly with the vaccum soleonoid pack on the heater box, as once again, they are different between EF and EL.

Seeing as you just said you changed it, there arent anymore suggestions needed, until you answer that question. There is only possible reason for what is happening here.

If its an EL CC unit, and you want to keep it, you will either have to modify the wires as I did for a mate or replace the vaccum pack with an EL one.

Post subject: checked out as EF panel
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

buttons are black, same as the old one i took out, so I guess is deff an EF panel arm79. 8-)

and thanks for the file NFGhia, it'll be a help, tells me the stuff is........I hope....... :lol:

Post subject: Re: checked out as EF panel
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

perevem wrote:
buttons are black, same as the old one i took out, so I guess is deff an EF panel arm79. 8-)

Ah well... See what happens. Either way, I still think its an EF/EL issue. If you put an EL CC unit into an EF, you will have this exact problem. Dont forget, the buttons can be changed.

I know as I've fixed it for someone. Even a Ford mech couldn't work out the problem.

Or I suppose at worst case, the CC unit has gone up the creek.

Have you still got the old CC unit to put back in and see if the problem goes away?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next