Fordmods Logo

EF Fairmont dash wiring into EL GLi? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Fairmont dash wiring into EL GLi?
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Due to the painful experience of trying to find an EL Fairmont dash loom I am trying to psych myself into converting an EF Fairmonts wiring to do the job.

I have had a look at the 2 tech docs on upgrading "smartlock" which encompasses replacing the BEM. I already have a Green EL BEM to install in place of the current Blue one.

Going through the docs (which seem to point to EF more than EL) I found a few anomalies which isn't doing my confidence any good. First up, the docs say that only the High series BEM's in the EL have the 2 plug arrangement yet the Blue BEM in my EL GLi has two plugs and I can do a straight swap with the Green one. Then there is the wiring info.... I cut the very top BEM plug off an ravaged EF Fairmont at the wreckers however quite a few colors in the plug do not match the docs. Then there is the lack of matching pin functions/wire colours for the various plugs on the EF's vs the EL's.

So, I was wondering if anyone has put EF Fairmont wiring into an EL and have some wiring info on how to change the single EF plug to the double EL plugs for the BEM.

I understand from snap0964 that the LH dash plugs are also different on the EF vs the EL, so does anyone have any info on what wire goes where so I could replace the EF plugs with the EL equivalents.

Before anyone asks, I am doing this to gain all the Fairmont wiring for such things as the trip computer, climate control etc which I hope to install when I kick off my major transformation project later this week. If nothing comes to light then I will just have to live with the GLi wiring until I find the correct model version meaning the dash will have to be pulled out later, not a happy thought.

Any assistance from any of the wiring gurus out there would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

One of the two large connectors that connects to the body loom is different and needs to be changed. From memory ( and it is very hazzy on this mod) the only real issue was the lack of tach signal that needs to be sourced from the diagnostics connector.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Thanks twason

I don't need the info any longer as I have managed to source an EL loom - phew! I didn't much like the idea of replacing bloody big plugs!

Mods, you can close this now please.

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]