EF Windows Stuck - have tried all the suggestions on this si 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF Windows Stuck - have tried all the suggestions on this si
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF II Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hi,

I have a 96 EF II Fairmont with electric windows. The front windows go up and down, they are a bit slow going up but they dont get stuck.

The rear windows go down fine but going up they get stuck in THREE places and u actually have to grab the window and lift it up a bit and it will keep going.

Now i have tried everything, changed the regulator, tried different tensions in the screws that hold the window to the regulator, silcin spray etc. I have also tried alligned the window but i couldn't move that little brass bracket thing on the bottom of the window, any hints on this? I had the door card off today and looked at the top of the regulator and saw that the plastic pulley that the cable runs on is damaged on one side :S and it doesnt turn all the time when the cable is running.

What do i do? my mates have resorted to just opening the door and yelling out coz i wont let them out the window down :P

I am thinking of getting some manual regulators, but i cant seem to find any. Does anyone know where i could get a pair?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: EF Windows Stuck - have tried all the suggestions on this si
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:38 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

a mate of mine has used graphite powder from power plus in a blue bottle, and with the window down give it a squirt or two down the sides of the window and run a light layer around where the window sits at the sides and the top.

just a word of warning when doing this you need to cover your seats and door trims as i can get a bit messy.

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

cheers mate i will have to give that a try

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DC LTD V8

VIC, Australia

timboyle wrote:
Hi,

I have a 96 EF II Fairmont with electric windows. The front windows go up and down, they are a bit slow going up but they dont get stuck.

The rear windows go down fine but going up they get stuck in THREE places and u actually have to grab the window and lift it up a bit and it will keep going.

Now i have tried everything, changed the regulator, tried different tensions in the screws that hold the window to the regulator, silcin spray etc. I have also tried alligned the window but i couldn't move that little brass bracket thing on the bottom of the window, any hints on this? I had the door card off today and looked at the top of the regulator and saw that the plastic pulley that the cable runs on is damaged on one side :S and it doesnt turn all the time when the cable is running.

What do i do? my mates have resorted to just opening the door and yelling out coz i wont let them out the window down :P

I am thinking of getting some manual regulators, but i cant seem to find any. Does anyone know where i could get a pair?

Thanks

Did you maybe try replacing/repairing that plastic pulley?

When you had the trim off you should've been able to see where it was getting stuck?

DC LTD V8 pure style

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

can't repair the pulley. unfortunately these days u just replace things rather than fixing them. when i have the trim off, i couldn't see anything that would block the window making it get stuck, i took the window off the regulator and the regulator went up and down fine, so it must be in the track somewhere :S

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

WA, Australia

I thought I had this problem - turned out to be the switches. I pulled the switches apart and the contacts were damaged from arcing. I cleaned up the contacts with a light rub from some emery, bit of electrical grease and they are good as gold now. I didn't do anything with the window mech's. Worth a try I guess.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

geez thats wierd, i would have thought that it was the regulator, i will have to give that a try as well.

Thanks

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok, tried the electrical contacts, wasn't that. I think the regulator might be f***ed. the motor doesnt stop when the window gets to the top :S

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ghia

VIC, Australia

One of my cables had a little kink in it causing the window to creep up and get stuck/stop quiet a bit. Just went down to the wreckers and got replacement stuff now good as new.

||||

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

My EL Ghia I can hear the motor going but the window doesnt come down - cable is hanging out not sure where it connects to - do you have a little sketch of where it goes thanks

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef wagon nc5lt fairlane ef sedan

WA, Australia

hi guy's the main reason that the electric and manual windows stick is due to the guides if you get some silicone spray lubricant and spray it down the rubber guides and wile it's wet run the windows up and down this will stop the glass binding witch causes most of the problems with broken cables you do need to do this about every 6 weeks and you will never need to repace the regulators again untill the finaly wear out this also works on other makes too and it dosen't matter if there manual or electric windows and the same goes for the door locks door handles only brake due to wearing out if it's all keep lubed i live in a very dusty enviroment but have had the same trouble as most of you guys have mentioned and found the cures having owened to many fords to list and as always you have to fix the things that frequantly get neglected like windows door locks and the usual bits and pices after year of doing these you get used to working out how to prevent future trouble as for the window treatment i sugest it chep to do and i have done this to a EF futura and the windows would come down but not back up after treating it and working it it took five minutes and they worked like new and still do had a similar problem with my EF GLI wagon manual windows same treatment and good as new i find that i have to redo them every 6 weeks but i drive down dirt roads regularly. you can also buy the eletric window regs brand new but don't go to ford if you can find a parts importer like we have in Perth SSS imports they sell new regs for about $150ea and there better than origonal and ford in Preth get theres from the same place but charge heaps more same goes for the wreckers if they tell you it's new they will charge at least $300ea and get them from the same place hope this helps

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

hey yobbo, take a breath, that was 2 sentences...

and filipop1, id get another reg and put it in, most of the broken ones i've seen are not worth fixing.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

yeah sorry most of thr regs once broken are not worth fixing beleve me i have been down that road

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 75th AUII Ghia

NSW, Australia

the reg works and pulls and stuff but the cable that is supposed maybe pull the window is just out wanna know where to connect to

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

you will probly find the small plastic retainers on the end of the cable are broken if this has happened you will need a new reg if the cable has come off the window end check the plastic where it conects to it maybe broken if so you need a new reg as you can't buy parts for them

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next