Post subject: EL Factory electric aerial installation
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Hi, has anyone done this job before? I realise the parts required are
-electric aerial
-switch
-Green high series BEM

Just wondering if any additional wiring is required, from the switch to the BEM to the aerial? Mine is an ex-police EL GLi with the mid-series blue BEM.

Also what would happen if I fitted the blue mid series BEM into a Fairmont Ghia with the green one (IE swap with mine). Would it affect the dash illumination on mine or the fairmont or would it always be bright or low?

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF OPT20

SA, Australia

You can have a power antenna with the low/mid series BEM (was an option on these models), the switch is not required - the antenna is either fully up when the radio is on or fully down when the radio is off.
A high series BEM simply allows you set the antenna height (using the switch) and returns it that position next time you turn the radio on.
High series BEMs have an extra connector and some wiring differances on the other 2 connectors - not a task to take on lightly..

'94 EF GLI
Dash Mat
Color-coded Ashtray
Polished Wheel Nuts

Post subject: Re: EL Factory electric aerial installation
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=69

ELV8 wrote:
Just wondering if any additional wiring is required, from the switch to the BEM to the aerial? Mine is an ex-police EL GLi with the mid-series blue BEM.
Extra wiring is needed - in the EL's no extra plug is required, just need to add the extra pins.

ELV8 wrote:
Also what would happen if I fitted the blue mid series BEM into a Fairmont Ghia with the green one (IE swap with mine). Would it affect the dash illumination on mine or the fairmont or would it always be bright or low?
Never tried it - just upgraded to the green one and modified the wiring, and added the high series light switch.
I'd say your lighting will be affected.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Did this to mine when I installed cruise, premium sound, trip computer and climate control, AND switchable aerial. Used green high series bem, and dash loom to suit from ef fairmont ghia.
Turned an ex chaser into a reasonably updated car. :D :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Thanks for the help guys. This will make the job a bit easier now knowing that extra pins can be added to the BEM connectors. Is the plug for the electric aerial already behind the passenger kick panel or does new wiring have to be run from there to the switch?

I haven't had a good look, but I know that there is already a plug with a few wires (but not all) for the electric aerial switch, so these would either go back to a plug behind the kickpanel or to the BEM wiring connector, or radio?

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

ELV8 wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. This will make the job a bit easier now knowing that extra pins can be added to the BEM connectors. Is the plug for the electric aerial already behind the passenger kick panel or does new wiring have to be run from there to the switch?
You'll need to add the wires.
ELV8 wrote:
I haven't had a good look, but I know that there is already a plug with a few wires (but not all) for the electric aerial switch, so these would either go back to a plug behind the kickpanel or to the BEM wiring connector, or radio?
It's actually the Economy switch plug for the column shift autos - plug should be orange colour, the half height antenna switch plug is blue. You can cut the wires and use the plug, but you'll need to move the pins to match the antenna switch.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Too easy. I've got an EF Fairmont wreck so that'll make things easier, to get the plugs, aerial off etc.
thanks
Rhys

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nice thead should make it a sticky.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nice thead should make it a sticky.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

yep, would be worth adding some of this info to the electric aerial install doco. I'll try and do this conversion in the next few weeks and make some instructions up. Good alternative to this existing mod.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]