Fordmods Logo

el power windows suck??? help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: el power windows suck??? help
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

hey,

lately i have noticed that my windows on my el fairmont all bar the drivers one, are becoming stiff and now i cant put them all the way down coz they will stick. out of this my rear drivers side electric window has givin up the ghost. the motor is not feeding the wires properly and one of the cables attached to the sliding mech is not attached any more. first off how can i fix this? ford want $310 for the unit and $120 to fit it. also you can unbolt the rail and detached the slide for the window, but the actual motor in which the wires run into looks like it's pop rivited to the inside of the door frame.... how do you get the whole thing out.. :S

P.S also to have warped disks do they have to shutter and houl all the time, coz i get a shutter and noise from my brakes and some vibration but not all the time. had it into ABS to get a check done. they said everything is fine. what can do this.??
thanks

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:59 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Just replace the power window winder. Units are available on Ebay or any wrecker, Just drill out the pop rivits or use a good cold chisel to knock the tops off and bolt the new one in, just use short 1/4" gutter bolts to bolt on the motor instead of pop riviting. Just did rear window in the wagon and took longer to get the bugger out than it took to put it in. Not long at all, get someone to help you to hold the window up.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

thanks for the info, will look around for em. unfortunately one for the two wiries which is meant to be connected to the top for the slide the plastic grove for it to hold this in place so it can wind the window up is broken. so i think i need the window rail and the metal slide that move up and down on this rail.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ok. i have purchased one off of ebay.. from a guy with 100 positive feedback and the iem comes with a three month warrenty. and if it's like everytihng else i have replaced the aftermarket parts so far have been so much cheaper and heaps better. ha.. does anyone really buy gen ford stuff any more.. unless it's on ebay going out really cheaps.. ha thanks

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Don't buy genuine Ford power window motors. Reconditioned units cost heaps less (around $130 each), but reco ones have stronger cables than the Fords and last longer.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

When bolting in your new req use 6mm by 10mm bolts with nyloc nuts. The last thing you want is your reg working itself loose and falling inside the door.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]