Fordmods Logo

ELECTRIC HEATER ELEMENTS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: ELECTRIC HEATER ELEMENTS
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 66 XR FALCON UTE

NSW, Australia

Hi ford people. Would anyone know of detailed info or links to fix or replace the electric heater elements in the dash of a 95 ef futura. My brother inlaw works for ford Tar :shock: :roll: ee and tells me they are a b**ch to replace but the quick heatup they offer is missed at the moment. I am a new member so please excuse if i have not placed this correctly.

Post subject: Re: ELECTRIC HEATER ELEMENTS
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

hi welcome to fordmods.

if by electrical elements u mean the components of the heater system, have a look in the resources section up top, under technical documents and scroll down to climate control section.
there is a detailed document explaining how to remove, diagnose, repair the heater and reinstall.
hope that helps

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hi mate the heater in your car is not electric. It works by hot water from your engine flowing through it and the warmth is adjusted by a mechanical heater flap or blend motor as in fairmont models. And it will more than likely be a dash out job if its leaking or the blend motor is gone. Expect to pay around at least $500 or more to fix it.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hey 93eb tyre schreader, yep i do know that the heat is transfered to air via a small radiator with the air being heated from the radiated heat from hot engine coolant passing through it but believe me they have two (i think)small elements somewhere in the system to take the chill off the air quickly whith the heater turned on and at least one fan speed selected. I will give my bro a ring and see if i can get more info. Hey thaks for the advise. PS IF I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS I PROMISE TO GET OF DRUGS FOR GOOD HHAH AH A HA HA,

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

your bro may be refering to components of the climate control

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

well i see your thinking and i am no expert but he told me my futura (no climate control) has these and, i do know that it would once upon a time produce slightly warm air within 1 minute versus now 5 minute (cold nite measurements) and he also said they were a quick way of getting comfortable temp of air. Most people dont notice they are gone as they may have never known they were there. my other brother inlaw (ex panel beater) reckons the EA's had a similar thing that was prone to igniting dried out leaves acumulated in the fresh air intake for the heater, as they glowed red hot!. Very dangerous he reckons. According to him they were behind the glovebox area in the heater ducts? Anyone heard of that??

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

He may be referring to the fan speed resistor in the heater box behind the glovebox. If I recall correctly, it has a metal coil that is exposed to ventilation air to cool ITSELF, not heat the air going into the cabin. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. I remember a resistor like that in my old XD, not sure if EF/ELs had it? The climate control models have a sealed unit, maybe lower models have the coil-type fan resistor?

But I'm sure there is no electric element heating in these cars at all. The resistor coil could very well become hot enough to ignite dry leaves in there.

The resistor is a little tricky to get at, but only a 5 minute job with a Philips head screwdriver. The glovebox and wiring all come out without any tools at all. Is your fan working OK?

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:09 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Trust me there is no electric element in your car!

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

what your refering to is the fan speed resistor coils..
they are not there to heat the air..
as they are resistors they need the air from the fan to keep then cool when the fan is on..

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hey good idea about the fan resistor. yep the fan is working perfect. I think this needs further investigation with my contact in spares. Surely he can produce a schematic (how is that spelt?) with descriptions. Watch this space.

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

have a look through this technical document it will show u most parts of the heater systems, it for the high spec climate controls, but will give u a fair idea of where things go and whats what.
u'll see the pics of the fan speed controller (found behind the glovebox) and yes if u remove this from the heaterbox there are usually a few leaves in there.

documents.php?d=8

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

ELF100CAPI..... oh my gord. Freekin hell what a doc. dont think i will attempt that conversion. That sure has some reading in it. Hey I promise to go through that and get a good idea as to how it all works. Thanks :P

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]