Fordmods Logo

Extra plugs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Extra plugs
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Was just working under the dash, and I noticed that I have two extra factory plugs/looms there that arn't used. The first is wiht the fuel flap opener button, it's all wired up to plug into another buttom, any ideas what? I thought maybe a power antenna (but that'd be supriseing considering my car is GLi), and it is definately factory, as it has a special moulded place inside the dash for that plug to sit in, but it's also got room for an extra button there.
The second is the clock, next to the plug for the clokc is a biger blue plug, is this for the trip computer? Does this mean that my trip computer is already all wired up? If so, I'll upgrade from the clock!

Post subject: Re: Extra plugs
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Was just working under the dash, and I noticed that I have two extra factory plugs/looms there that arn't used. The first is wiht the fuel flap opener button, it's all wired up to plug into another buttom, any ideas what? I thought maybe a power antenna (but that'd be supriseing considering my car is GLi), and it is definately factory, as it has a special moulded place inside the dash for that plug to sit in, but it's also got room for an extra button there.

Is this near the clock in a wagon? There may be a switch plug there for the premium sound with selectable antennae height.

Quote:
The second is the clock, next to the plug for the clokc is a biger blue plug, is this for the trip computer? Does this mean that my trip computer is already all wired up? If so, I'll upgrade from the clock!

Yeah it is for the trip i think but not plug and play. Need to run a data line to the instrument cluster.

Just the way these things are mass prodcued. All start out the same in the factory with same looms etc. A GLi gets a clock, fairmont gets a trip computer - so on and so forth!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

what he said i got heaps of spare plugs in mu au!
i added a half heigh switch thats cool as th plug was there unliek series 2 au were u have to run wire to the BCM
there is also another plug there for the wagon rear wipers

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

in regards to the clock / trip computer plug, yours (being a Gli) will plug & play a clock - as 4.9 EF said, you need the extra data wire for the trip computer. the plugs are pre-made so you can whack a clock straight in. but yours, being on gas... aren't there issues fitting a trip in regards to the fuel consumption readings etc??

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
in regards to the clock / trip computer plug, yours (being a Gli) will plug & play a clock - as 4.9 EF said, you need the extra data wire for the trip computer. the plugs are pre-made so you can whack a clock straight in. but yours, being on gas... aren't there issues fitting a trip in regards to the fuel consumption readings etc??

It will read something but wont be accurate/usefull. EEC is still calculating injector pulse width and sending this data to tripmeter for fuel consumption calcs. Will get a reading but will be about as useful as a mule with a spinning wheel.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

(of course, if you run injected LPG the trip computer is quite usefull... he he he)

Post subject: Re: Extra plugs
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Just the way these things are mass prodcued. All start out the same in the factory with same looms etc. A GLi gets a clock, fairmont gets a trip computer - so on and so forth!

JFYI - GLi's don't come standard with the clocks, I bought mine of SLi GLi when she upgraded...
Anyways, cheers for the replies, so I was right about what I thought they were for, since I've got an aftermarket rubber antenna, it's imposable to adjust the height, and I'm on L.P.G., so the Trip Computers pointless (although I still woulda put it in there if it was all wired up! :roll: ).

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba wagon,,hq350, volvo 242GT

VIC, Australia

mmmm plugs nice.

1995 EF fairmont
1972 LJ gtr torana
1973 HQ monaro
1973 HQ sandman

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]