Fordmods Logo

f**k power windows 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:41 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

DrE wrote:
my ea ghia did this to me once cleaned up the contacts in the switch and workedlike new, the contacts where filthy black with carbon

How did you gt access to it and clean it? My passenger window is f**k for some reason and I will need to check thi out.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

I just finished fixing my power window problem. It would go down fine-ish but it struggled coming back up until about 3/4 the way up when it would shoot up like normal. After numerous attempts to fix by lubricating everything, I also changed the winder plate(the one that runs up and down the track and is connected to the window) regreased, and nothing helped. I finally took it out on the verge of going to Ford and buying a brand new one to evade this issue, when I noticed the winder guide was somewhat warped. I compared it to my manual one and realised it was alot warped. So I changed the tracks over and now......
MY BLOODY POWER WINDOWS WORK LIKE A CHARM!!!!

I was so stoked to finally get it working. And the fact I didnt have to buy another one was even better. I will post some pics, maybe it is not the only one out there, and maybe it is more common than we think.....

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Ugly Igley wrote:
I just finished fixing my power window problem. It would go down fine-ish but it struggled coming back up until about 3/4 the way up when it would shoot up like normal. After numerous attempts to fix by lubricating everything, I also changed the winder plate(the one that runs up and down the track and is connected to the window) regreased, and nothing helped. I finally took it out on the verge of going to Ford and buying a brand new one to evade this issue, when I noticed the winder guide was somewhat warped. I compared it to my manual one and realised it was alot warped. So I changed the tracks over and now......
MY BLOODY POWER WINDOWS WORK LIKE A CHARM!!!!

I was so stoked to finally get it working. And the fact I didnt have to buy another one was even better. I will post some pics, maybe it is not the only one out there, and maybe it is more common than we think.....

Hmmm tell me more.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

the window switches *unlcip* from the circuit board, theres two little metal contacts that rock and two little plastic rod looking things, pull all of those out clean up the contacts on either side of the rocker contacts and the contacts inside the switch (circuit board side) i used a flat head screwdriver and scraped off all the carbon worked a charm

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:08 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

DrE wrote:
the window switches *unlcip* from the circuit board, theres two little metal contacts that rock and two little plastic rod looking things, pull all of those out clean up the contacts on either side of the rocker contacts and the contacts inside the switch (circuit board side) i used a flat head screwdriver and scraped off all the carbon worked a charm

Is this accessible from just takling to door tim off?

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

VIC, Australia

Yeh im not a big fan of power windows myself i prefer manual. lol.

my old man has an au xr8 and his window came out of hinges! but yeh all is fixed now but i reckon there more trouble than there worth

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

GMHETR wrote:
there more trouble than there worth

Only Ford ones :(

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Post subject: switches
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
DrE wrote:

Well for the centre console,open the Lid and unscrew the bucket thats holds ur crap,then push that piece of plastic thats useless or if you have drink holders unsrew them.
After that you should have access to the switch unit,unclip it from the wiring connection.
As for the back doors I dont know about the removal of those switches but then of a*** just ask the BACK SEAT DRIVERS IF THEY WANT THEIR WINDOW DOWN. :lol:
[DrE wrote:
the window switches *unlcip* from the circuit board, theres two little metal contacts that rock and two little plastic rod looking things, pull all of those out clean up the contacts on either side of the rocker contacts and the contacts inside the switch (circuit board side) i used a flat head screwdriver and scraped off all the carbon worked a charm]
You can attempt to service them your self of take them to an auto electrician ,If you plan to do it your self its pretty easy to do.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

NC 5ltr wrote:
my drivers power window switch sticks down when i press it and if i forget to release it cuts out the motor for a while to cool it down.
it depends on how long it takes to cool down though

wow mine does the EXACT same thing... wish i knew how to fix it.

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Post subject: Re: switches
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
twirqurky wrote:
DrE wrote:

Well for the centre console,open the Lid and unscrew the bucket thats holds ur crap,then push that piece of plastic thats useless or if you have drink holders unsrew them.
After that you should have access to the switch unit,unclip it from the wiring connection.
As for the back doors I dont know about the removal of those switches but then of a*** just ask the BACK SEAT DRIVERS IF THEY WANT THEIR WINDOW DOWN. :lol:
[DrE wrote:
the window switches *unlcip* from the circuit board, theres two little metal contacts that rock and two little plastic rod looking things, pull all of those out clean up the contacts on either side of the rocker contacts and the contacts inside the switch (circuit board side) i used a flat head screwdriver and scraped off all the carbon worked a charm]
You can attempt to service them your self of take them to an auto electrician ,If you plan to do it your self its pretty easy to do.

EF/ELs dont need to remove the centre console thing, the cup holder section comes off by itself.

I thought someone actualyl cleaned some balck s**t off their motor. Cna anyone post pics of what he motor looks like?

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

This happened to my XR, drivers side and passenger side, it would go down but would go back up. I hit the damn door trim and surpisingly enough that worked for one of them :shock: So it would seem that the window guides jam up or something when you go to put the window up. Hmm not really fixing the problem am i? :roll:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

twirqurky wrote:

Hmmm tell me more.

A picture tells a thousand words....

This was the winder guide from thew power window, you can see that the track is arched, but about half way along it seems to flatten out.

http://www.teamgemini.8m.com/broken.jpg

This is better compare when you look at the one I changed it for, which was a more perfect arch.

http://www.teamgemini.8m.com/good.jpg

You can see here where the orginal one had warped, causing the window to wind the way that it did....

http://www.teamgemini.8m.com/broken2.jpg

SO I just detatched the winder, winder cable, motor and clips and transfered them to the better track.

[BLEMIN]

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Ugly Igley wrote:
twirqurky wrote:

Hmmm tell me more.

A picture tells a thousand words....

This was the winder guide from thew power window, you can see that the track is arched, but about half way along it seems to flatten out.

http://www.teamgemini.8m.com/broken.jpg

This is better compare when you look at the one I changed it for, which was a more perfect arch.

http://www.teamgemini.8m.com/good.jpg

You can see here where the orginal one had warped, causing the window to wind the way that it did....

http://www.teamgemini.8m.com/broken2.jpg

SO I just detatched the winder, winder cable, motor and clips and transfered them to the better track.

Couldn see the photos. Can you email me them please?

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

well what is your email you twit.....

[BLEMIN]

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Couldn see the photos. Can you email me them please?
Ugly Igley wrote:
well what is your email you twit.....
Could you post them again here for everyone to see?? You can use http://www.imageshack.us/ to host the pictures.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next