Fordmods Logo

Fairmont Climate Control, High Series BEM, DASH into FUTURA 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Cheers BENJ brother. I am struggling with esactly where you mean the fan is...

Is it on the passenger side inside the cabin as in the plastic boxes I am going to pull out tomorrow? IE - In the photo at left, above? If it is anywhere near that photo then I will find it promptly, as it is all coming out.

I am still in the process of pulling this to bits, but it is dark outside, and warm and bright inside... I have no garage!

I stopped at the point I did as I am weighing up options before plunging in and ripping into my Futura's insides once again. I think I will have enough cables and connectors etc etc etc, for the wiring...

My PROBLEM is sorting out how to pull out, and re-assemble, the Climate system. I have read the tech doco, but am hoping to bypass a lot of it by simply using the Fairmont system "as is". It was working well before the car died, so will hopefully succeed in pulling it all out, and remembering how to put it all back!!!

*** I may need to go park the two cars next to eachother and drive the Subaru for a day or two ***

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Yes, the black box or heater box is in the middle. The intake duct for external air is on the left, and behind it against the firewall, is the heater fan.

You dont need to change the whole heater box. The doco shows what needs to be changed on to your heater box. It is up to you, but you will have to get your aircon regassed.

Good Luck.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers again BENJ Brother. Love your ride by the way... Awesome. I am seriously considering getting rid of the centre console box between the two front seats and making some custom thing up to fit... The amount of wierd angles I am getting into in the front of these cars is making it obvious to me that more fun would be had without this silly big hunk of plastic between the seats.

I just thought it would be simple to take the whole lot out and put the whole lot back in without having to swap this bit for that bit, and add this bit, and take this bit out (etc etc etc).

The actual AIR CON at the moment doesn't blow cold anyway, so would suggest the unit requires re-gassing.

I am a little confused as to where the hose from the instrument / control panel connects to. You see, it fell off when I was pulling out trip computer last week. Ho hum, will see if I can find that damn FordMods tech doc again - been having no luck finding the stereo wiring diagrams etc etc etc etc... Okay, mussis is telling to "GET THE PHUCK OFF FORDMODS, YOU DAMN ADDICT..." so better see you tomorrow with more tails of tribulation and confusion.

MYSELF... wrote:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=27
is now working again, don't know why I couldn't get anything from it last night. Awesome...

Also - I never managed to work out how to pull out the steering column, but I did get the dash out sweet as just by dropping the column towards the floor. Admittedly, it probably helped that I did not have a steering wheel on the column at the time! I am not a mechanic and it seemed easier to leave the column alone... I don't know about putting the dash back in tho. That may be a different story...

Finally - Since the gas and the cooling system will need to be drained and filled, I will definitely heed your advice and consider changing tack regarding the complete removal... I may just bolt the bits on as Matti's document describes.

Cheers all......
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Put in a gear knob, working on doing the gray to black conversion and these seat covers should just be leather huh?!!! Oh well, started confusing myself with the climate control conversion, but the bad weather is leaving Wellington behind so will get back on that program shortly...

Attachments:
interior_3.jpg
interior_3.jpg [ 78.64 KiB | Viewed 1166 times ]

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Have also decided I hate the big gray armrest, so may do something about that one day too... Like GET RID OF THEM as you cannot paint or re-colour that stuff and expect it to last....

I am going to have to work out a way to dye or paint those big gray door linings. Although, I suppose I could just buy some coloured material and glue it over the top.... Hmmm, any advice?!!

Need some GHIA / Fairlane door dressings.... If I can't find some for next to nothing I could always get some thin wood, cut the shape and spend hours with sandpaper... BLUE or BLACK finish do you think?!

Attachments:
car_doors_help.jpg
car_doors_help.jpg [ 38.16 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]
car_email_interior.jpg
car_email_interior.jpg [ 127.53 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

Post subject: Is it worth going and confusing myself with another new thre
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Is it worth going and confusing myself with another new thread in EXTERIOR MOD's when all I want to do is put up ONE single picture?

Here it is...

Attachments:
car_exterior3.jpg
car_exterior3.jpg [ 86.31 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Post subject: Will AU seats fit in my EF easily?!
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Okay okay - I read and read and RE READ the TECH DOCO on the Climate Control Conversion. And I proceeded to pull apart everything anyway!

You see - The "Blend Door Motor Image

The Blend Door Motor, as fitted to the Airbox, Note the Rivets used to secure it to the Airbox
The Blend Door Motor is responsible for moving the Air Temperature Door, that allows mixing of heated air from the Heater, as well as cooled air, from the Airconditioner.
On Non climate control vehicles, this Module is replaced by the use of a Control Rod, and Wire Pully system, that is connected directly to the Temperature Control Knob.
At present, I do not have the Part number for this device.
Also, on some models, this device is mounted to the Airbox using Rivets, which will consequently need to be drilled out, in order for the device to be removed.
Once this device is fitted, the Heater control Rod and Pully system can be removed."

Well well well, FANTASTIC... And thanks to everyone else who suggested I did NOT have to pull the whole lot out in order to complete this conversion.

WELL - I tell you what... I couldn't work out a way to get at the rivets to remove them without taking the whole F'ing box out of the car first! At the very least you'd have to remove the heater hoses and all the nuts from the engine bay that support the unit in order to move it out from under the protruding metal that sits under the front windshield.

So - I now have the complete thing out and am reverting back to my original idea of putting the whole lot into the Futura. Without so much as removing a single screw!!! Heheheh...

I wonder if RICKSWAGON will be so kind as to take a photo of what the ambient temperature sensor thingy looks like out the front bumper area - I am still having trouble locating it amongst the piles of Fairmont spread over two seperate garages, the a*** end of the Futura and my garden shed. Maybe the missus threw it out when the piles spread onto the kitchen table that morning...

Right - The weather here sucks, and am back at work in a few weeks, so fingers crossed... I have to swap all the seats and re-do my paint and all too.

FINALLY got the climate control digital screen de-soldered and changed it's colour to BLUE. Not an easy bloody mod that!... Took three hours of soldering and swearing!

Bought some new mags (again off the net - Again, they might not fit... But I think I know someone who'll be able to take a MM or two off the centre hole to help them clear the 70 odd mm of Ford hub...)

Put the slotted and dimpled rotors on... Cool - A slight "ticking" sound if you apply brakes lightly. Yay - WAY BETTER THAN THE DAMN WARPED SQUEEK US EF'ERS ARE USED TO!!!

Right, that's me... Sold the seats out the Futura, trying to find some nice leather ones... Will BLACK AU ONES FIT IN EASY?! Have someone texting me trying to sell me some now...

Attachments:
car_heater.jpg
car_heater.jpg [ 77.11 KiB | Viewed 942 times ]

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Does this help.

Attachments:
ambient sensor.jpg
ambient sensor.jpg [ 40.96 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Macdaddy wrote:
Does this help.

SHURE DOES MAC'DUDE.

Tell you what - I don't know what happened to my Fairmont Wagon one, just have no idea. I remember seeing it someplace, but there you have it. Will now off to rip one out of my "new" Fairmont Sedan (along with swapping a few of the mags that are nicer on the donor Fairmont...) Is peeing down with rain and I'll have to leave it for another day. I remember the bit now - It is probably still attached to the bit of plastic it was mounted to and --- gawd knows where that went as when I installed front bumper I discovered it didn't fit first time so I put it somewhere for later. Hehehe.

Hey Macca old bean - Just HOW do you remove the rivets from donor and then install the motor into your new car without removing the whole lot? I read that you guys had to cut a larger hole in top of air box too --- Surely it has to be removed completely to do this?

Hell - Wish I had a garage big enough to open the car door! This weather is killing me and my project!!!!

And I am hoping the guy who I bought the FAIRLANE grill off can swap it... He had Fairlane written on auction, so I asked for FAIRLANE grill. Turns out he gave a FAIRLANE grill, but the one I wanted is LTD...

Attachments:
File comment: Slightly off topic, but there are too many NEW TOPICS with my name on them for no good reason!
car_grills.jpg
car_grills.jpg [ 52.91 KiB | Viewed 933 times ]

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hi again. I bought this multiplug adapter for $20NZ - it even comes with a blue LED in its casing that lights up the surround. I used a hole saw to cut two holes and a jigsaw on extreme limit of safety and effectiveness to cut this hole and fit the unit in.

Whilst I was at it I put in a fuse or two and left some wires hanging out the position of the centre console lid hinge... This is going to be rigged up to a switch (donated from the glove box of another car) which will light up the bastardised DEL computer screen back light mechanism which will be mounted to the underside of the centre console lid. Thus - You get a nice white light spread relatively evenly across underside surface of centre console lid whenever you open it. I am running all of this from the original dash wires for the lighter socket.

Oh - By the way --- My DVD screen and DVD player in the dash have heated up and basically melted... Reason is the heat generated by both these units crammed in next to eachother in close proximity to the rather adsurbly cumbersome metal surrounds that radiate heat from the heater air flow.

I am putting a variable speed 120mmx120mm fan from an old HP mainframe computer box in the cavity between the glovebox and the stereo. Will need to be careful drilling out a lot of holes, but should be do-able. Also need to put a manual switch somewhere - may use the "boot lock" button from a SEDAN and put it in my wagon (which only has a FILLER CAP RELEASE, not boot)... Hmmm, will see about this...

Am also removing the piece of metal at the bottom of the double height stereo bay as I'm going to move the bottom unit (DVD player) about an inch lower to provide space for a small heatsink and fan from a pentium4 computer. I have found the place of major heat build up in this unit - and boy, does it get hot - it drives 60w x4 speakers and runs a DVD reader for hours on end... An inch of space with a little airflow is not going to do any harm! The heat sink is even blue anodised.

Am running extra cables to each door and two into the roof... Also putting in speaker cables into roof, and a video / rca sound cable (or three) into the interior roof courtesy light area --- I have a 15" IBM LCD which I've worked out how to mount from roof area. Need to hold off on actually mounting it, as roof needs a little strengthening and I need to re-attach the crap ford roof rack that pulled off when I tightened up some tie downs..!

Have taken the carpet out of the Fairmont sedan and will put the final Fairmont rear seat into the Futura, along with the cleaned carpet soon as I get the weather for it.

Quick question --- Why on earth would someone have added a couple of wires to the Fairmonts ignition system (near my fingers in photo). I think the only reason could have been running an AMP in the vacinity of passenger footwell (as wires headed there)... Anyway - This loom was in much more original condition than my original Fairmont one, so have swapped the entire loom, but kept the same high series bem and engine computer. Fingers crossed...

Attachments:
FORD_dash.jpg
FORD_dash.jpg [ 58.91 KiB | Viewed 878 times ]
ford_centre_console_multipl.jpg
ford_centre_console_multipl.jpg [ 48.15 KiB | Viewed 878 times ]

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Have finally put the climate control into the Futuramont / Futuralane and found that I must have forced the dash into position a little... When the motor is running I get a sucking noise from the heater unit behind the glovebox, although the system appears to operating fine. The only thing I could not check to be working is the interior or exterior air supply door at bottom left (passenger footwell) side. I will go check that by manually shoving my arm in there...

I get warm air when I want warm and cold when I want cold. It even delivers the air to the right place, unlike my slightly broken manual Futura one I just pulled out that seemed to supply air to your feet 100% of the time.

The Green (EF HIGH SERIES) BEM I put in doesn't seem to like picking up my key fob for the remote entry. For some reason I am not getting a low coolant level warning lamp on dash either - although this could just be a LED in the wrong way, but the car this BEM was from never had a working coolant light either. Come to think of it, I think I am going to swap the BEM for another green one I have in the last Fairmont donor.

BUGGER IT! I now have to go and pull the entire bloody dashboard out AGAIN!

And it was so well painted - It got dropped and scratched and now needs a re-paint... And since I now only have the one car as Subaru gearbox threw all its teeth out...... Ahhhhhhh....

Okay ---

There was a thin black pipe that came through firewall from the heater and dissapeared down towards the heater tap... On the original Fairmont this was not connected to the heater tap. When installing the climate control into the Futuramont it seemed reasonable to connect said pipe to said tap. Cannot see any other reason for the appendage being there...

Although, if (as on Fairmont) it wasn't connected, could this result in the sucking noise I am getting and therefore save me the problems of complete dash removal?

BTW - Removing dash is easy... It's the putting it back that is problematic.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Rightiho - Got the BEM swapped again and it has now learnt the key fob... Lucky I had something else to do whilst the damn car sat there for over half an hour resetting "smart" lock with my key.

Never mind, all good now. Turns out I had put the wrong wires back on the windscreen pump, so I had to turn the rear wiper on to get water out the front (and visa versa)... Fixed that whilst I was there. All good.

The heater unit definately is not switching between internal and external air... Am not 100% convinced that the sucking noise is the cause of that issue. Have tried everything to get enough access to operate on it without removing dash, and I hereby admit defeat and resign myself to removing my carefully soldered extra wires and alterations to remove the dash again.

SOD IT ALL!!!
~~~~~~~~~

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

HEY HEY HEY... Happy days... Managed to get some long long long nose pliers (too bits of hollow pipe jamed on some long nose pliers) into the gap where the glove box light goes and pull the offending pipe out...

Worked out it was the sniffer pipe come loose so operated like a surgeon doing key hole suregery by proxy and managed to put some tape flat over the end of the pipe. There is no way to join it to the real sniffer again, but what the hell --- The cabin temperature seems to be reading alright. May be a bit "not perfect" but is good enough for me...

NO NEED TO PULL THE BLOODY DASH OUT AGAIN!

I put some extra lights into the glovebox - Blue LED under latch / handle and normal incadescent type to help you find the right piece of paper. Also have left cables hanging down from that circuit to provide a automatic switch for overhead lamp.

Hmmmph.

Here's the photo of my FUTURALANE dash...!

Am happy the climate control is in - although I added two extra LED bulb holders the readout is still a little dim to be read easily in sunlight. Have used a total of 8 blue and 4 white. I replaced the orange filter with a blue one made from the back of a plastic blue folder. Turns out (unlike the other LCD readouts) the climate control has a slight yellow tinge in it's glass. Nothing you can do about it, just try and get the colour as close as you can to the other readouts via mixing it up. Remember you must de-solder and re-solder 50 odd pins, so I just chopped the end off the housing so I can slide different colours and the like in or out.

Ho hum.

Getting there. AWESOME.

Attachments:
File comment: The back of the climate control waiting for silicon to go off around extra bulb holders
cardah.jpg
cardah.jpg [ 242.54 KiB | Viewed 818 times ]
File comment: The FUTURALANE MUSHROOM and lit GLOVE BOX HANDLE LIGHT
car_dash.jpg
car_dash.jpg [ 279.2 KiB | Viewed 829 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2