Fordmods Logo

Falcon AU Series I Instrument cluster wiring [speed in/out] 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Falcon AU Series I Instrument cluster wiring [speed in/out]
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find the Speed in/out wires in my Falcon AU Series I. I have read through documents.php?d=4 but it hasn't helped a lot as I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I popped the cover of the cabin fuse box off and removed the fuse panel to find 2 large plugs, one orange, one white. I compared the colours of the wires with what's on the chart, but none of it seemed to match.

It was rather hard to see what I was doing and I was unable to disconnect the 2 halves of the connectors so I couldn't get a close look - if anyone knows how to do it, please enlighten me.

Here are some pictures I took of the plugs, is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3179867/Under%2 ... 010138.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3179867/Under%2 ... 010139.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Macka

Post subject: Re: Falcon AU Series I Instrument cluster wiring [speed in/out]
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

maybe do it properly, and gain access to the cluster, remove & unplug the two connectors from it

right side cluster connector: Speedo Input Pin 17........ Speedo Output Pin 18

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
maybe do it properly, and gain access to the cluster, remove & unplug the two connectors from it

right side cluster connector: Speedo Input Pin 17........ Speedo Output Pin 18

Do the plugs on the back of the cluster not come down to that point?
I was hoping to avoid removing the cluster particularly as I am only wanting to monitor the line at this stage, but if I have to remove it, then I I have to remove it.

What is the frame of reference for right and left?
Is it the right side connector when looking from the front of the cluster or looking from the back?

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Macka007 wrote:

What is the frame of reference for right and left?
Is it the right side connector when looking from the front of the cluster or looking from the back?

not really sure how to read the plugs on the AU's to be honest, but below is a pic i took when i cut the speedo input wire in my EF which was pin 4 looking from the back of the plug with the plug clip facing upwards.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Despite a lot of effort, I was unable to remove the instrument cluster, it wasn't possible for me to get my hand behind it (I think having a column shift means there are extra brackets and things that get in the way), however I found a connector just outside the ECU which I was able to tap into (I wanted to split the signal, not reroute it entirely.

Anyway, for the most part, I have finished my project.

Thank you for your help.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

G'day it seems like a decent project you have there, but my main thought, is why you didn't look closer at home, e.g. modify an EL trip computer say, or convert to fairmont dash.
e.g. try and build off there base work, rather than start from scratch basically, although I'll definitely give you props for doing so, and it'll be something different.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
G'day it seems like a decent project you have there, but my main thought, is why you didn't look closer at home, e.g. modify an EL trip computer say, or convert to fairmont dash.
e.g. try and build off there base work, rather than start from scratch basically, although I'll definitely give you props for doing so, and it'll be something different.

G'day.

There are a number of reasons I went the way that I did:
  • I was looking for a smallish project that could provide something usable, could be done over summer (university break) and used a microcontroller; this project satisfied those criteria and gave me a chance to apply some concepts that I'd learnt at uni (studying electrical engineering).
  • My knowledge of cars is very small (I know little more than the basics of how an engine works), so I wouldn't have thought of the fairmont dash, though I briefly considered looking for a trip computer, but decided I could customise it if I built it myself.
  • I tend to take the view "if you can make/fix it yourself with little to no extra cost then why not?"
  • The satisfaction of designing, fabricating and coding the device.
  • I didn't like the idea of crawling around under the car fitting sensors for a 3rd party unit.

As frustrating as it was to find the correct wire, I thoroughly enjoyed the project and learnt quite a bit about our vehicle and the microcontroller itself and I'm happy with the results.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Fair enough congrats, and put up a pic of it when your done.

Yeah I admit I'm not a fan of the setups with a magnet on a tailshaft to be honest, it just concerns me of it being exposed, worries me it could easily fualt, fill with crap on the magnet etc.

Yeah I was more so thinking buy an el one for 20- 30 bucks which is a standalone sort of unit, and trim the face down.

but congrats on doing something different and applying your knowledge :lol: 8-)

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]