Fordmods Logo

fire extinguisher placement 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

MikGan wrote:
all ud need it a fluid leak insie the cabin, say a heater hose and a little spark from shorting... its not that unconcieveable. Ever had a power steering hose burst? get that onto ur extractors and watch it go up!

Oh okay....i see your point now.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Also might be useful should you need to stop to help out at a crash scene. If a fire starts and someone's trapped in their car then having an extinguisher might be a lifesaver.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The DMac wrote:
what do you need one for. Seriously what the hell can start a fire...its not like we are running rocket fuel and got no exhaust system, i just cant see the point of having one other than that they look good and put a race touch to the car.
A few weeks ago A Current Affair & Today Tonight had reports on Static Electricity when filling your car, having seen some of the footage, I'd say a portable extinguisher could be handy, rather than watch your car go up in flames. Sure it could be futile - but it's better than zero.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

Okay now the reasons are getting extreme. I got a good reason. I reckon you should actually carry one with you all the time because what happens if your walking and a storm hits and lightening hits a tree on the other side of the road and starts a fire = INSTANT HERO.

But i can see for the purpose in a car now....but some of the reasons are a bit out there.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The DMac wrote:
what do you need one for. Seriously what the hell can start a fire...its not like we are running rocket fuel and got no exhaust system, i just cant see the point of having one other than that they look good and put a race touch to the car.
A few weeks ago A Current Affair & Today Tonight had reports on Static Electricity when filling your car, having seen some of the footage, I'd say a portable extinguisher could be handy, rather than watch your car go up in flames. Sure it could be futile - but it's better than zero.

If my car catches alight at a servo then the last thing ill be doing is trying to put out the fire..... :shock:

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Haha yeah I'd use it to beat people out of my way as I start bolting for the hills

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

the best place for an Extinguisher is n front of the drivers seat THEY DONT OFTEN/EVER come loose mine hasnt and nothing gets in the way of me pulling it out ppl put extinguishers in for looks and thats not what they are for... i can have mine out and let off in under 3 seconds... bugger running to the boot pulling it out running back

SIKBRO

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

yer im pretty sure they come in handy sometimes, a mate of mine was in a accident a few months ago, someone pulled out in front of him, only hit at 30 - 40ks or so but it was enuff to push the headlight back enuff for the hot globe to burn thru one of the hoses. fire kept getting bigger and a passer buy happened to have an extinguisher to put the thing out before the whole car set alight

will probably be the next thing on my to get list...

<br>

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

i second that and run like hell if it catches fire at a servo.

why do u write in here.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2