Fitting BA Alarms 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitting BA Alarms
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Background:

I currently have a 2003 BA XR8 that was fitted from new with the factory Alarm system. If anyone is familiar with them, they required the installation of a new BEM (Body Electronics Modules) which added pins for triggering the alarm. In effect, the Alarm was controlled by the BEM completely. The only real additions required were for the Bonnet Trigger, and a Diode for the boot.

The BEM I have was a replacement for the low-series. The low-series BEM is Blue, and is missing certain functions like the Climate Control sensor inputs, power for the Dash Clock and Auto Lights. The Alarm BEM is black.

Developments:

HOWEVER, as some of you may know, some time ago I upgraded my ICC to dual zone climate control, requiring that I replace my BEM for a Cream/Green unit that supports the Climate Control functions - I also swapped the Indicator stalk to enable auto-lights and put on a Dash Clock because I lost the clock I had on the previous Premium Audio ICC. I took a gamble at the time that all High Series BEMs might have Alarm control - and lost. I even went to seriious effort to fix the 'cut and wrap' wiring job done by the factory or the dealer, by properly soldering stuff or putting connectors in, and making sure that I re-integrated the lines into the replacement dash loom ICC connectors I installed.

Suffice to say that my alarm doesn't trigger anymore during a security event, rendering it useless. And I let that stay that way for awhile. However, I have done some changes more recently to my car that warrant a declaration to insurance - and in talking to them I have discovered that I must have a car alarm.

So here we go, time to fix this.

Solution

The solution is an FPV alarm. One went on eBay recently and I grabbed it, although it was incomplete and a obviously hacked out of the car. At nearly $800 new from Ford, the one I picked up was much less than this, so I accepted what I got.

The FPV alarm doesn't integrate with the BEM, as it has it's own Module. But it has to splice into the loom much more thanks to this so as to take triggers from the doors, the boot, the bonnet and to provide triggers for the turning lights and the Horn.

At the end of this I will have a BA Alarm for sale - including BEM, wiring, Siren, Bonnet Trigger, Boot Light Diode and INstallation Instructions if anyone is interested.

So off we go. First thing is to gather some info on how this stuff works and to take some pics, so I'll be back as time passes with more info.

I'll also take some pics of the original alarm as it comes out, and the new alarm as it goes in, so this can serve as detail for both types of alarm.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

One thing I didn't get was a Diode for the boot light return line. I'm thinking that this is to make sure that the Alarm doesn't inadvertantly turn the light one by tapping into the GND before it hits GND.

I started off concerned about this - but then I realised that there is a solution there already.

I have installed a high-intensity LED Festoon bulb in the boot. And since an LED is a Diode already, it simply won't turn on in a reverse current condition.

Problem solved.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Alarm Siren Mounting.

My old Siren is mounted in the RHS wheel arch up under the splash guard.

But I've heard that the FPV siren is usually installed in the engine bay next to the brake booster.

Does anyone have an FPV with a factory alarm that might be willing to take a picture of where the Siren is mounted?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Some pics of the bits I have.

Attachments:
File comment: Connectors for RH Kick Panel - 5 wires. I'll explain how this works later.
IMG_4434_WEB.jpg
IMG_4434_WEB.jpg [ 37.17 KiB | Viewed 3298 times ]
File comment: Siren.
IMG_4443_WEB.jpg
IMG_4443_WEB.jpg [ 25.48 KiB | Viewed 3288 times ]
File comment: Control Module (with no mounting nut - mongrels), Fuse Pack (without the mounting block by the looks of it) and the Male/Female 44 pin hybrid blocks for LH kick panel J/B
IMG_4416_WEB.jpg
IMG_4416_WEB.jpg [ 27.66 KiB | Viewed 3288 times ]
File comment: A view of everything - Loom, Control Module and Siren.
IMG_4415_WEB.jpg
IMG_4415_WEB.jpg [ 24.65 KiB | Viewed 3281 times ]

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Pic of how the siren is mounted in a GT-P (Courtesy of Data_Mine)

Luke

Attachments:
IMG_3982PM.jpg
IMG_3982PM.jpg [ 183.83 KiB | Viewed 3310 times ]

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The FPV Alarm is in and running. I'll backfill some images shortly.

In the meantime, the Factory BA Alarm is now up for sale.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post933565.html#933565

Oh, and I discovered that the BA Factory Alarm Siren is actually installed in the Wiper Cavity. Now that was an eye opener. I had to unbolt half the wiper components to get the siren out.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]