Fordmods Logo

Fitting new dial dials to BA dash 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Fitting new dial dials to BA dash
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

How diifuclt is it to fit new dials (eg fascia) to the dash. Do you just pull off the needles or are there things you nned to know before attempting this?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

This really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Before you can do ANYTHING to the dials in a BA, you need to get the cluster out. This isn't terribly difficult -- fortunately, there's a guide on this site on how to go about it.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=37

Now, as far as the dials go, they're pretty easy to dismantle once you get the cluster out. You can simply 'pop' the needles off and go from there.

I'm not sure if I've fully answered your question, it's a little tough to tell with the limited information you gave. If you write a little more we can probably provide a little more info.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

cheers vertgo. Yeah it is the needles I was most concerne about as didn't know if they had to be put back on in exactly the same place.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

be careful champ... My lil bro took off the needles on his Au and had big probs.... It wouldn't move after he put it back on... so be prepared if it stuffs up

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:09 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Munch wrote:
be careful champ... My lil bro took off the needles on his Au and had big probs.... It wouldn't move after he put it back on... so be prepared if it stuffs up

Holy crap, that sucks!!

Of course, when it comes to dismantling your cluster, you need to excercise extreme caution. I'm not sure about the AU series, but on the BA, the needles do 'pop' on and off quite easily. I've seen (and had) it done numerous times without any problem, provided that you're careful.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2010 Nitro Blue FG

VIC, Australia

Did you change the dials in your cluster or something vertigo? Cluster is only held in by a few screws isnt it?

The boogieman checks under his bed for chuck norris

Post subject: dash cluster
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xh

QLD, Australia

i changed the background in my xh ute and had the no move problem it was just the background catching on the needles (changed the background)

to remove mine i used a fork (ie dinner fork) if removing needles always mark where they go

if ya pullin them apart try non standard design heres some ideas
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56152

utes are for circles

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:10 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

andrewsfutura wrote:
Did you change the dials in your cluster or something vertigo? Cluster is only held in by a few screws isnt it?

Yes, there's only a few screws holding in the CLUSTER. As for the actual needles WITHIN the cluster, these 'pop' out. You can use a fork for this, or your fingers (provided you're careful). This is what I was referring to.

I have had the cluster removed on my BA, because I had to remove the cluster in order to link my oil pressure/volt meter gauges to the headlight circuit so they illuminate at night. As for the actual dials, yes, I've played a bit with these also, more just out of curiousity than anything else. They're wedged on a bit tightly, but do 'pop' off with a bit of effort.

Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Thanx guys will give it a try have had the cluster out before but not to change the fasci. Had a previous EF and stuffed up hthe needles but as I remember they were procks to get off, so speedo ended up reading 10 k's below actual speed, then I sold it and bought the BA Xr6.

Guess someone out was swearting for a while...but it was initially the Ford dealer and serves them given the treatment I received from them after I bought the car.

I now believe in karma...just hope it never happens to me!

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:08 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

coombesplo wrote:
Thanx guys will give it a try have had the cluster out before but not to change the fasci. Had a previous EF and stuffed up hthe needles but as I remember they were procks to get off, so speedo ended up reading 10 k's below actual speed, then I sold it and bought the BA Xr6.

Guess someone out was swearting for a while...but it was initially the Ford dealer and serves them given the treatment I received from them after I bought the car.

I now believe in karma...just hope it never happens to me!

Good luck with it coombesplo, let us know how it all goes.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I'm gaining some interest in this.

Be warned that most clusters have 7000rpm Tacho and 220km speedo, the XR's have a 260km speedo, and the FPV's have an 8000rpm tacho and 270km speedo. Ford Dealers can't change these scaling factors either. That's not to say it can't be done though.

But yes, I will reaffirm that pulling out the cluster is dead-set easy, and so is getting it all apart. The dials pop off and you just need to make sure the stepper motor is at the right position when you press it back on. It's not hard at all.

The bit I'm curious about though, is are you planning to make a new background for the cluster, or are you getting it from somewhere?

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

There's a guy on ebay called mrluke666 who sells mod'd backings for BA clusters. Still, I'd be a little hesitant to pull the cluster apart for the sake of changing a dial sheet unless I could see photos of what it'd look like first.

Here are some pics of the dial backings he sells. They don't look too shabby at all.

Attachments:
8e4c_1.jpg
8e4c_1.jpg [ 14.08 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
8cc3_1.jpg
8cc3_1.jpg [ 20.55 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]