Fordmods Logo

Front and rear left side power windows broken... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Front and rear left side power windows broken...
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

On an EF Fairmont, they wind down, but not back up again... The car was $4400 with working windows and RWC, but since then the windows shat themselves...the guy got a quote about the windows for $700... And now will sell me the car for $3500 without RWC and 2 non working power windows...

My question is, is it a DIY job, with no experience with power windows before? (keen to learn/follow steps though) and How much would it cost to fix?

Thanks in advance..

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It's pretty easy to fix, though if you want genuine new parts to replace the broken bits, be prepared to pay the dollers.

If it's due to the electric motors then you would have to pay a lot more money to get it fixed. To do it yourself you have to pull the rear door trims off. Then undo some bolts that hold the glass to the metal holder that moves up and down (forget the technical term for that thing). Then drill the pivots out (if they have never been removed) and remove the motor and replace with a new one and then using nuts and bolts to put the electric winder back in rather then pivots. Not a hard task...but a bit tedious at first.

If it's just the switches, then I guess that is a much easier fix. Just need to remove the door trims, remove the switches and then replace with new ones.

Have you asked what may have caused the electric windows not to work?

If I didn't have any idea about the car, I'd get a RWC for it for a bit of piece of mind.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hmmm, well the plan was to get an RACV test done... And if that all went well, I would be willing to purchase without RWC, fix the windows then get the RWC myself.

If I were to pay someone to do it + parts, how much would I be looking at? $700 seemed a bit much to me...

Also, how can I know if it needs a new motor... From what I've read on here, it seems likes it needs a new regulator, but I might be way off...

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sorry didn't read your first post right and missed the part where the window goes down but not up :oops:. Well at least now you know the regulator motor is still functioning.

Well I am unsure of the price of someone else doing it...but $700 for both doors might sound on target. The regulators are pretty expensive new from Ford, so I would think it's about the right price...though don't quote me on that.

If it goes down and not back up. I would think it might be just the switches or even a loose wire. The way I would test it is by first pulling the door trim off and check for any loose wiring that may have come undone. After finding no loose wires I'd remove the switch and then using a spare wire, short the earth with one of the active wires through the wiring loom. If the windows go up well then the switches would be at fault.

Word of warning, this is my unorthodox way of working it out. I don't think it's very safe at all but it has worked for me before. So do it at your own risk.

You could always try and borrow someone else's switch that you know works and plug it in and test it.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

its a fairly easy job to replace the winders if u know what u are doing

new parts will be expensive

hardest part is removing the winders as they are riveted in

i could change both in about 1 hour

p.s if your interested ive got some good working secondhand winders, PM if interested

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Is there a technical document for this?? I can't seem to find one...

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/power-wi ... 15088.html

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/replacem ... 14323.html

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/power-window-maintenance-t15088.html

Thanks, but I had seen those... But neither really say how to replace a regulator assembly... Unless it's that obvious and it doesn't need instruction..

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

My passenger window winds down but not back up too, if i keep clicking the switch long enough it will go up. It could be dirty contacts on the switch maybe try giving them a clean.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Out there wagon

NSW, Australia

If it is the regulators then I would jump at the $700 for the guy to replace and install them. I sponke to for the other day and was told that it would cost $330 for 1 electric window regulator and then I would have to install them my self, so the extra $40 for a professional to inatall them would be a bargin

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

timmay_73 wrote:
Happy wrote:

Thanks, but I had seen those... But neither really say how to replace a regulator assembly... Unless it's that obvious and it doesn't need instruction..

they come with instructions....

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
timmay_73 wrote:
Happy wrote:

they come with instructions....

Awesome... Might have to look into this then.

Does anyone know of anyone in Eastern suburbs of Vic that sells regulator/motor kits??

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

The same thing happened on my Ghia tonight- driver's window went down but not back up.

Pull out the switch panel and unplug in the console (2 screws: 30 seconds) and carefully disassemble the unit to get to the switches that are giving trouble. You'll see inside two little metal contacts that will be black from electrical arcing. Clean them and the contacts up carefully with fine emery paper and a solvent and put back together. Time all up: one hour at most. Money saved: $700!

Be careful as there are two contacts, two little springs and two black parts inside each switch, so be careful not to lose them when taking apart.

Anyone who can use a screwdriver can do this job. HTH.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 158 rwkw

700 is cheap! The regulators / motors are dear as poision! There are after market reg / motor avaliable! I have used one in my drivers door before and i have had no drama's! and it was quarter the price of a new one genuine!

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

But his windows are going down, so the regulators are OK. Clean out the switches for an hour of your time: FREE! :)

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next