Fordmods Logo

Fuel Gauge no longer accurate after Fuel Pump replacement. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel Gauge no longer accurate after Fuel Pump replacement.
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

As the topic say's, recently had the fuel pump replaced as it had given up the ghost, but I have now noticed that the gauge will go down as per normal till it hits 3/4's empty and then just hovers there, maybe go down just a slight tad before running out of fuel.

When I first pulled the pump out I noticed there was a Red Square Rectangular thingy that the pump assy fits into that does twist around if your not careful, but something tellls me the float can't exactly get lodged onto that, so I'm thinking something has happened with the sendor, or rather that thing on the other end of the float that sends the reading to the gauge via resistance?

Anyway have I possibly damaged that part of the fuel pump assy assembly when installing the new pump? if so can I easily get a hold of a new one?

Cheers

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge no longer accurate after Fuel Pump replacement.
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i would say that your float arm is hitting the square swirl pot inside the tank, either it has turned slightly or when the screw on ring nut has been done up the whole pump carrier has rotated slightly..
i had the same problem in my ed, i just loosend the plastic ring nut a little and rotated the pump carrier anti clockwise about 1/4" and done the ring back up...

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmmm, I thought that sqaure plastic thing wasn't the issue as the gauge would go down 3/4's before stopping, I can always put the cluster into Diagnostic mode and see what that say's?

When the pump failed the car had a full tank of fuel, when I re-installed the pump the gauge went all the way down as per normal the first time but after that it's been getting 3/4's of the way down and stopping after that, and then just before it gets empty the gauge drops a tiny bit further down and then that's it, no more petrol.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:49 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

in my case it would get down to 1/4 tank and stop untill near empty, then when i filled it back up it would stop at 1/4 untill i hit a few bumps or cornered hard then would go to full...

maybe the sender got dammaged or the float arm got bent while it was out?

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

They are both possibility's, though I'm thinking the sender must have gotten damaged, that thing near the fuel pump that has those metal electrical tabs on them.

My next question, are those parts replaceable?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

both times ive changed original pumps out of my ef's ive had the same problem that you have, it never bothered me too much, i could get all the way to 0km til empty fuel reading on my trip computer on my first fairmont and once i changed the pump now its lucky to have any fuel in it by the time the trip computer reads 60 km til empty, i ran out of fuel acouple times becasue of it and learnt my lesson altho other times it has read 100 kms til empty and next thing you know ive been stuck on the side of the road so i always carried a fuel can

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]