Help Needed: ED Cruise Control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Help Needed: ED Cruise Control
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

My Cruise control has never been working ever since I got the car. About all I can do with it is switch it on and off. Can someone tell me some common problems that may help me diagnose the problem? The car is a 8 cyl.

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:33 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA II S-Pac

VIC, Australia

Mine has failed in my EA a few times. Different car i know, but probably the same setup???

Pop the bonnet and check to see all the vacuum lines are connected. On the EA there is one right near the firewall on the right hand of the engine on mine that keeps popping off...

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:36 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Pop the wheel off Fordz, the metal thing it uses to make a connection dries out the grease on it or something.
I got a similar problem in the Sprint, just too lazy to fix it.
On turns it off, but set doesn't work.
You hit off, and it doesn't turn off, then you hit off again, and it sets... :P

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Pop the wheel off Fordz, the metal thing it uses to make a connection dries out the grease on it or something.
I got a similar problem in the Sprint, just too lazy to fix it.
On turns it off, but set doesn't work.
You hit off, and it doesn't turn off, then you hit off again, and it sets... :P

mine dosen't do that. Somehow i think my problems a bit bigger then a few faulty connections... :cry:

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

90% percent of these problems are vacumn related.

I would start by checking the vac connections at the brake switch, t-section (on firewall to the right of the brake booster when looking from front of car) and connections at Vac pump (passenger side behind windscreen washer bottle) and cable actuator other side of car fromt he Vac pump.

Quite often these connections come off or the vac line perishes meaning the system will not work.

If you can't find an obvious leak then remove the actuator from its installed position (but still connected up), set the back of the car on axle stands and try to activate the cruise. See if the actuator does anything at all, it should suck the bladder in when working.

Other option could be the combination switch. The boss contacts on the combo switch do go dry and seize meaning no contact with the BOSS, but that usually means that the system won't fire up at all! I had one of mine seize, system would not even turn on. Replaced the combo switch and everything worked great!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

philaddis wrote:
90% percent of these problems are vacumn related.

I would start by checking the vac connections at the brake switch, t-section (on firewall to the right of the brake booster when looking from front of car) and connections at Vac pump (passenger side behind windscreen washer bottle) and cable actuator other side of car fromt he Vac pump.

Quite often these connections come off or the vac line perishes meaning the system will not work.

If you can't find an obvious leak then remove the actuator from its installed position (but still connected up), set the back of the car on axle stands and try to activate the cruise. See if the actuator does anything at all, it should suck the bladder in when working.

Other option could be the combination switch. The boss contacts on the combo switch do go dry and seize meaning no contact with the BOSS, but that usually means that the system won't fire up at all! I had one of mine seize, system would not even turn on. Replaced the combo switch and everything worked great!

thanks mate. I suspect its vacume realted as well. I know i have a vac leak in my heating/ventalation system some where. I have just replaced my combo switch with a NOS one, but haven't tried to set the cruise since fitting it, but i'll give it a shot. Don't wanna get my hope up to high though!

^^^ What He Said

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Have you checked the switch on the brake pedal, it could simply need adjusting.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:33 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sturmovik wrote:

Then his brakelights would be on constantly as well, you'd think that would get noticed.
As a sidenote, if you blow your brakelight fuse, the brake will no longer turn off your cruise control...
Kinda worrying for a second when you're burning down a freeway offramp.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Then his brakelights would be on constantly as well, you'd think that would get noticed.
As a sidenote, if you blow your brakelight fuse, the brake will no longer turn off your cruise control...

That is true of the later EF/EL setups which are all electric, but the EA-ED ones have a seperate brake switch for the cruise. It dumps vacumn and has an electric switch to disable the cruise. The brake light switch is entirely different in the EA-ED to the cruise brake switch.

Sturmovik wrote:

The cruise brake swtich could need adjusting and it is one area for a possible vac leak, although I haven't come across this happening before and would suggest a bigger problem with your brakes than the problem with the cruise control!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Steady ED wrote:

That is true of the later EF/EL setups which are all electric, but the EA-ED ones have a seperate brake switch for the cruise. It dumps vacumn and has an electric switch to disable the cruise. The brake light switch is entirely different in the EA-ED to the cruise brake switch.

Just to clarify that: If my brake light fuse is blown, the first I usually know of it is when the cruise no longer works.

Which is why in an EF/EL if the cruise is down the first thing to do is check the brake light fuse. :D
So the only way to burn down the off-ramp is with your foot on the loud pedal.. :lol: :lol:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Sturmovik wrote:

The cruise brake swtich could need adjusting and it is one area for a possible vac leak, although I haven't come across this happening before and would suggest a bigger problem with your brakes than the problem with the cruise control!

As the cruise has never work since he bought the car its possible that the previous owner may have fiddled with the switch. So easy to check, first place I'd be looking.

Fordz when my EA Cruise stopped working it was a dirty electrical connection on the vacuum pump. Also check condition of rubber bellows on actuator and condition of cruise cable.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]