Fordmods Logo

hoodlining from later models. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: hoodlining from later models.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

One of the faults in old e series fords is that the skin of the hoodlining becomes detached from the hood lining because the foam underlay falls to bits... I have seen this in EA-ED models, but never seen it in EF/EL.

i am wondering how much difference there would be between EA-ED and EF-EL in hoodlinings..

Has anyone ever tried? keeping in mind that minor differences would/could be hidden behind the surrounds and trims.

Ive done much custom work on interiors in the last, but other than fitting roof screens, I've not really touched hoodlinings before.

any thoughts?

My other thought was to pull out the old one, rip off the skin completely and use a wire brush to remove all the rotten foam and then carpet the whole thing...

Don't want to put an ED hoodlining in, because the same thing will no doubt happen again at some stage.

any thoughts, much appreciated.

rgds

Frank

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Frank,
I'm going the same way and I also had two choices, re-cover the old one or fit a later one. I chose the EL, with extra holes cut to fit the EB Fairmont lights. After researching, costing and getting advice from members, it's the best way for me to go. I am assured by members who have done it, it will fit without any hassles, even the plastic trim if needed. All the materials for a proper re-cover came to just over the cost of a wrecked ELs, even at trade price, so it was a simple decision for me as I really preferred the shape of the EL lining to the EBs very plain look. No real work, good result.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sweet, that is so cool.. it looked like it would work, but always worth finding out if someone knows for sure.

thanks heaps yet again mr Paul..

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorright mate,
I bought another EB2 Fairmont on E-bay tonight for the wife, immaculate, but she no go! [the Fairmont not the wife] I'll fit another motor and gearbox to it on the weekend so my head lining will have to wait another week. I've got used to driving around with self tappers decorating the ceiling, kind of a 'punk' look with all that shiny metal sticking out where it shouldn't be!
Cheers,
Paul

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:16 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Paulmac wrote:
I've got used to driving around with self tappers decorating the ceiling, kind of a 'punk' look with all that shiny metal sticking out where it shouldn't be!
Cheers,
Paul

lol that reminds me of my mate who used thumb tacks to hold up the roof lining.
and on the odd occasion he would get into the car and one or two tacks fall onto the seat and you would here a girly scream and he would jump out trying to pull thumb tacks out of his a**. :lol: :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Troyman,
Very dangerous things away from a cork-board are thumb-tacks, they have a mind of their own, can defy gravity and stalk humanity with the sole aim of maiming the innocent and unaware. Your mate though,well, that is a self inflicted wound, like a hangover, and deserves no pity...hope you p***ed yourself laughing at the silly b**stard, I did when I read it.
BenJ inspected the EB2 Fairmont before I bid on it yesterday and said it's immaculate and the roof lining's in good nick. That's so rare these days I probably would have bought it just to sit and look at it...mmm wonder if I could sell tickets??
Cheers,
Paul

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I must admit, I lost my temper with mine..

was driving though peak hour traffic when more came loose and it sat on my head.. after trying to tuck it into the plastic surround, I lost my temper, grabbed a handful and gave it a good yank...

needless to say I arrived at work covered in rotten yellow foam.. the stuff was everywhere..

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Frank,
I sympathise with you, I very nearly done that but fortunately was wrecking a 'Mont at home and as it's roof lining was also stuffed, thought I'd rip it out first...bad move. Had to vacuum out the interior I was transferring and go have a shower. That's where the self tappers came in and the move to an EL trim started.
Paul

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]