Fordmods Logo

Installing a new BEM 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Installing a new BEM
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2005 BF XR6

NSW, Australia

Hey i'm wondering if my current problems with my central locking are due to faults in the BEM, it does control the ED standard central locking system, doesn't it?

Anyway, is it possible to get a ED BEM from a wreckers and install it in the car, will the smartlock screw up if I do, would the BEM need to 'learn' anything off the new vehicle it's fitted to.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

yes it possible, but not likely, usually its a faulty actuator. are the locks cycling up and down etc??

to answer your question. Install bem, turn ignition to ON and leave it for half an hour to an hour till the light goes solid, and then start the car

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

^^^^ WHS

Basically if ur actuators are f**k up it can cause the car to stay locked/unlocked.

If is is the case try a bit of RP7/WD40 in the actuator. It isnt hard and u dont need to take the trims off. But a good spray and a fiddle with the handles and it can come good.

IF not then your BEM can be f**k. Change it over with one from the wreckers and leave the car in the ON position and leave it for half an hour to a hour. LEAVE THE WINDOWS OPEN..... cause the car can lock and you could have the keys in the ignition and BAM f**k whoops.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

The passenger door has no signal, the drivers side door sometimes locks the two rear doors and itself when using the Key, sometimes the right rear door does not operate as if it has no signal.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Certainly sounds like an actuator issue.
In EBII's and ED's, the BEM and Smartlock are separate modules, so I'd think if you'd replaced the BEM, you wouldn't need to retrain anything.

Someone who's had experience with these units should be able to prove/disprove my theory.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Certainly sounds like an actuator issue.
In EBII's and ED's, the BEM and Smartlock are separate modules, so I'd think if you'd replaced the BEM, you wouldn't need to retrain anything.

Someone who's had experience with these units should be able to prove/disprove my theory.

I thought the smarklock and BEM in the ED was the same af the EF but im the wrong person here.

Try the WD40 trick

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thought i'd just post back in the interests of assisting anyone else who may be having problems. I took it to an auto electrician and it turns out the problem isn't electronic but mechanical.

The actual locking mechanisms were clogged to buggery with dust and some of the little plastic bits were cracked and shattered. He replaced 3 lock mechanisms and the central locking is now working perfectly.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XR6

NSW, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:
Thought i'd just post back in the interests of assisting anyone else who may be having problems. I took it to an auto electrician and it turns out the problem isn't electronic but mechanical.

The actual locking mechanisms were clogged to buggery with dust and some of the little plastic bits were cracked and shattered. He replaced 3 lock mechanisms and the central locking is now working perfectly.

yeah is a hugely common problem in falcon's think there needs to be a sticky or something coz its posted as an issue nearly twice a week.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

chewie_86 wrote:

Didnt you spray it with WD40. You have to use that hose u get and get it right in there.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]