Fordmods Logo

interior illumination in a ba 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: interior illumination in a ba
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

hi guys, im installing fairmont ghia door looms and futura body looms into my car in the next few weeks to get rear power windows in my ba xt. im also putting in some fairmont ghia door trims, and want to get the front courtesy lights to work with a blue led. im thinking of extending the courtesy lights wiring out through the door loom into the cabin, and then splicing it into the inteior light switch wiring somewhere. im also going to install footwell neons in the front, and splice that into the interior light wiring too. what i want to know is where is the best spot to grab the interior light wires? ive heard the drivers side A pillar is good? does anyone know what colour the wires are? on my xt the interior light wiring was only designed to run the roof dome light, will it cope with the addition of all these other lights ok? also how do i get at the door courtesy light globe to change it to an led?
cheers for any suggestions.

Post subject: Re: interior illumination in a ba
Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

(1) Fairmont Ghia Door looms already come with the loom connector for the door courtesy lights. They come on with the light switch already.

(2) Fairmont Ghia drivers door loom has the connectors for the digital Memory Mirror Controller, and this means you need the Ghia mirrors as well because ethey have circuit boards inside the mirrors, and not just dumb X and Y axis motors like normal mirros. Expect big problems - or a lot of customization in the loom to get it back to normal mirrorr operation - if you don't have the whole Mirror/Module setup.

(3) The Mirror Memory Module works with the Seat Memory Module under the seat on the Ghia. But a Futura Loom won't have the wires to the seat Memory Module. If this is the setup then I don't know if you'd get the Mirrors working at all since I believe the Memory Module POWERS the Mirror Module. I encountered problems hooking a Ghia Driver Door loom to my XR RH Body Loom for that very reason - no power to the Mirror Module. Although you could get past that bit.

(4) LED's consume so much less power than an incandescant bulbs it's not funny. The wires sized to run a normal bulb would be happy to run, at a guess, about 100 LED bulbs of the same brightness. But Neon's - I have no idea how much they'd draw.

I put Fairlane body looms, door looms, mirrors/module, interior including an upgrade to side airbags into a BA XR8. There's a big thread on it if you want to check it out.

But I like it! Someone else willing to give it a go!

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

cheers lukeyson.
i know the ghia door looms have the wiring for the door courtesy lights, but i dont think the wires are in the futura body loom im going to plug it to. thats why i was going to run extra wires out the door with the loom and connect it with the footwell neons to the interior light wires. i also wish to change the globe, how do i get to it? ive tried what looks like the right way to me and the cover wont come off and i dont want to break it by forcing it.

ive just looked at my ghia drivers door loom here. the wires that go to the mirror controller have a different plug on them, (a small white 2 pin plug) which is plugged to something called a 'grizzly module' (part number 1R2317F704-AA). this 'grizzly module' looks to be a small circuit board and has the standard mirror controller plug coming off the board. (black 8 pin) is the 'grizzly module' a way around the memory mirror? will i still be able to move my mirrors via the joystick without using the memory function? im guessing that even if you have the memory function you still need the joystick to set the mirror base programmed position in the first place, so i think it should be workable somehow.

im also going to get a led festoon bulb in blue to match up, so due to the lower power draw, i should be all good to run it together and link it to the dome light wiring. im fairly certain my jumping in point should be in the drivers A pillar, but does anyone know what colour wires i should be tapping into for the dome light?

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Yeah, you might be right about the Futura courtesy light loom lines. I'd almost suggest finding a cheap sacrifical loom from somewhere else, popping some connectors out, and using them to insert into the existing Futura connector empty locations in the door spine so you can have that part nice and factory-looking. ALSO, if you use the grizzly module, you'll also need an extra line to provide Power to it if you don't have memory seats.

The Grizzley module. Yes. Grizzly was the code-name for the AU2, so the module was developed back then and has never changed. This takes the +/- X and Y axis analogue inputs from the Mirror Controller, and converts it to something else. Normally the 3 lines to the mirror are for X or Y forward/reverse direct from the switch. But on the Memory Mirrors this becomes +12V supply, GND and a Digital. This also means that the 3 lines in the dash loom, LH chassis loom and LH Door Loom can carry either Digital or Analog signalling.

So to me, your options would be:

(a) Understand that loom thoroughly so you can modify it to drive the mirrors direct from the switch. A travesty since that loom is hard to find.

(b) Get some memory mirrors from somewhere. But good luck - it took me bloody ages to find a set.

(c) Get a Futura RH door loom, sell your grizzley, and figure out another way to get power to your drivers door courtesy light.

And the clear lense on the light does come off. I thought I was going to bust the thing. T5 bulb just pops into the reflector dish.

Is this the kind of affect you were looking for?

Attachment:
IMG_4730_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4730_WEB2.jpg [ 106.97 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4733_WEB2.jpg
IMG_4733_WEB2.jpg [ 61.13 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

Attachment:
C-51.gif
C-51.gif [ 9.96 KiB | Viewed 2932 times ]

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

lukey, have already updated to futura looms in the front of my xt, i bought those when i started garnering parts to get 4 way power windows. the ghia left and right front looms came up later at a good buy so i grabbed them. as for the options;

a) i dont really feel confident enough to go modifying wiring looms to that extent.

b) if i get memory mirrors, i still dont have the memory seat base, seat shroud, or body loom to support it.

c) already have futura left and right front looms installed. from memory they also dont have wiring to suit illuminated power window switches. so if i dont put in the right ghia loom, im not going to put in the left or i will have one side lit and the other side dark. which means figuring out left and right door light power.

although you did miss out option d)

option d) would be getting a door loom from a ba/bf with courtesy lights and no memory seat/mirrors. im thinking a typhoon or gt or gt-p?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]