Fordmods Logo

Interior lights and rear demister not working. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Interior lights and rear demister not working.
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Ghia

VIC, Australia

I checked all the fuses in my fuse panel and they’re all fine. Is there anything else that might cause these two things to cease functioning at the same time? :?

Two hands and one mouth. Now that's a drinnking problem!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

the only other thing I can think of which also kills the internal light AND redmist is the BEM being faulty/blown. It happened on my gli.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

This happened to me last nite, i just changed the fuse and everything came back to life again...

So maybe check the RED 10 AMP fuse again.
:)

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Oh s**t. Doesn't sound good. What other symptoms would that cause that I could check?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i dunno really... have you been playing/modding/changing anything recently when it happened?

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
i dunno really... have you been playing/modding/changing anything recently when it happened?

Noticed the lights about 4 weeks ago but kept forgeting to check the fuses during the daylight. Just noticed the demister last night, no idea how long it's been like that. Only change I have made recently is brakes on the weekend.

DA S PAK wrote:
This happened to me last nite, i just changed the fuse and everything came back to life again...

So maybe check the RED 10 AMP fuse again.

I will check them all agian very thoroughly this evening

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Interior lights is CRT LMP fuse (10A)

Dash lights is PRK LMPS fuse (20A??)

Demister might just be a wiring situation. How did you knwo it doesnt work?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Demister might just be a wiring situation. How did you knwo it doesnt work?

I was trying to programme new key fobs and try as I might, it wouldn't work. After some time, I noticed that the rear demister indicator light was not coming on on the dash when I was pressing the button...

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

is it just the light behind the switch blown maybe!
check voltage on demistor. should drop the further u go down.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

A quick test for your interior lights is to switch on one of your reading lights - should work anytime, and if they do work, this means the CRTLP fuse and power wiring is okay - me thinks this is what you'll find. Then try and switch your interior lights on via the dome light selector on the headlight switch, I'll hazard a guess that they'll work as advertised too. If this is the case, as previously mentioned, there may be an issue with your BEM. Since the rear demist relay goes through the BEM, I'd say this is related also. Test the circuit by locating a white and a black lead into the demist switch plug, and short them out, if demist works, it's the switch, if not, possible wiring, but more likely BEM.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:53 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
A quick test for your interior lights is to switch on one of your reading lights - should work anytime, and if they do work, this means the CRTLP fuse and power wiring is okay - me thinks this is what you'll find. Then try and switch your interior lights on via the dome light selector on the headlight switch, I'll hazard a guess that they'll work as advertised too. If this is the case, as previously mentioned, there may be an issue with your BEM. Since the rear demist relay goes through the BEM, I'd say this is related also. Test the circuit by locating a white and a black lead into the demist switch plug, and short them out, if demist works, it's the switch, if not, possible wiring, but more likely BEM.

Interior lights, map lights and vanity miror lights do not work, no matter what I do.

On top of that, last night I discovered that with head lights on, when I press demister button, dash illumination switches off...

Then to make matters worse, this morning on the way to work, I discovered that I can't reset the avg L/100Km or avg Km/h. The button works to adjust the time or the o\speed sensor, but it doesn't reset those averages in the trop computer.

Now I'm seriously getting confused

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

wtf have you done?? :P ... I reckon my guess on the BEM is getting shorter odds!! Rather than buying another one, try and see if you can borrow one from somewhere to test.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
wtf have you done?? :P ... I reckon my guess on the BEM is getting shorter odds!! Rather than buying another one, try and see if you can borrow one from somewhere to test.

yeah, I think BEM is looking pretty likely. I will try and borrow one from someone and see if it clears up my issues...

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Matt.....

What have you done...

Considering the BEM controls everything you are having problems with, I would think that it is the BEM playing up. Might be something as simple as a dry solder joint inside the thing somewhere.

Double check the CRT LAMP fuse just in case. BEM and lights are powered through this fuse. It maybe broken, but doesnt always look blown. Has happened to me many a time. Might be worth just replacing the fuse and see if things get going for you.

I have a spare BEM here I can rob for a test for you. If you wanna come for a visit to my place we can play around, or I can bring it along to the meet on Sunday and we can play there. Maybe best if you can get around my place, as if its something else, we can do some testing and playing..

Let me know dude.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the offer bro. I think I might just take you up on that.

e-mail sent

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next