Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

WOW! ... ok... here we go...

Damoo wrote:
Aren't they the "newer" Falcons? I would of thought they'd go for $20,000+?

Yes they are the newer Falcon. Model before the BF which is the latest. If you hunt around then you can pick an average base model BA up for $12000ish. And they're only going to get cheaper as the years go on.

Damoo wrote:
Whats the difference between the Fairmont and the Fairlane?

Fairlanes are very different to Fairmonts.

Fairmonts are basically glorified Falcons. They have nicer interiors (woodgrain, leather etc), more options (climate control, electric windows etc), different grill and front bar and a bit of chrome on the outside. Apart from that they are still a basic Falcon deep down.

Fairlanes on the other hand are the Elite of the Australian Fords. They have a longer wheel base (a greater distance between the front and rear wheels) even nicer interiors, even more options, a slightly different exterior to a Fairmont (different rear doors, rear ends etc) and a lot of chrome 8-) ... They are what the PM drives :lol:

Damoo wrote:
Oh okay, it probably would be impossible for me because i have no knowledge of cars pretty much. Even if i did try what "damage" could i cause if i didn't do something right?

None really... Unless you back over it with your car or something completely idiotic like that. The bottom line is, have a go yourself and if you stuff it up or find that it's too difficult you can always pay the money to get someone to do it for you. But at least have a go yourself first...

Damoo wrote:
Yeah, thats where i found it when i was looking for body kits hehe. $2500 painted doesn't seem too much, is that in any colour?

$2500 is a very rough guestimate. It could cost you anywhere up to $4000 if you pay someone else. My kit would have probably cost me $1800-$2000 but that's with me doing everything except the final coat of paint.

Damoo wrote:
Yeah, but I'm too scared I'll do something wrong and destroy the car. I suppose i could do it when I'm "game" enough and have learned enough from the forum.

Exactly right! Keep reading and you'll keep learning! Practice and you'll get better. But you'll never get better if you don't try it first.

Damoo wrote:
Is the Fairmont the same size as the Fairlane? Because I'd like a car that can comfortably fit in 4 people. As I'd like to be the designated driver for my parents and my sister.

As I said above... Fairlanes are longer than Fairmonts and therefore have a slightly more roomy interior. But any Falcon/Fairmont can very comfortably fit four people inside it. One of the main reasons I got mine!

Damoo wrote:
Also, whats the difference between the Ford "LTD" and the Fairlane "NL" Ghia, because they look the same to me. I was originally looking at the LTD i think. I'm not too sure lol.

NL is just a model name for a Fairlane like EF or EL is for Falcons/Fairmonts. LTD is the 'elite' option for the Fairlane. e.g. a Fairlane LTD is better than a Fairlane just like a Fairmont Ghia is slightly better than a Fairmont which is a hell of a lot better than a Falcon :D

All in all, don't stress yourself now. You still got a couple of years before you are actually going to be doing any of this... although they do come around fast! Keep saving, keep reading, keep learning and by the time you come to buying a car you'll be an expert!

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:25 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Yes they are the newer Falcon. Model before the BF which is the latest. If you hunt around then you can pick an average base model BA up for $12000ish. And they're only going to get cheaper as the years go on.

Fair enough, Newer isn't always better though! (Look at the XC Cobra, that owns).

Quote:
Fairlanes are very different to Fairmonts.

Fairmonts are basically glorified Falcons. They have nicer interiors (woodgrain, leather etc), more options (climate control, electric windows etc), different grill and front bar and a bit of chrome on the outside. Apart from that they are still a basic Falcon deep down.

Fairlanes on the other hand are the Elite of the Australian Fords. They have a longer wheel base (a greater distance between the front and rear wheels) even nicer interiors, even more options, a slightly different exterior to a Fairmont (different rear doors, rear ends etc) and a lot of chrome icon_cool.gif ... They are what the PM drives icon_lol.gif

Thanks for that, I'll probably go the Fairlane then, i like the woodgrain and all the extra features a lot.

Quote:
None really... Unless you back over it with your car or something completely idiotic like that. The bottom line is, have a go yourself and if you stuff it up or find that it's too difficult you can always pay the money to get someone to do it for you. But at least have a go yourself first...

Thank god, i don't think I'd be driving a car with panels removed anyway so the idiotic factor there disappears lol. I will be having a go myself i can tell you that for sure. If i didn't have a go at anything i wouldn't be able to build computers and diagnose problems like i can today.

Quote:
$2500 is a very rough guestimate. It could cost you anywhere up to $4000 if you pay someone else. My kit would have probably cost me $1800-$2000 but that's with me doing everything except the final coat of paint.

My uncle is a mechanic, i suppose i could get him to do the painting for me hehe. I'll try and do most of the stuff myself.

And now for another round of questions:

Is it possible to run two batteries in the car and have the alternator keep them both charged? I'd like to run a 400-600w Inverter in my car so i can have an Xbox in the boot and the 7" TFT in the back somewhere for the passengers to play while i drive. Can i have that connected to headphones rather than the main speakers? Also, whats the max length on a Composite (Yellow RCA) cable before picture quality deteriorates? I'd want the Xbox in the boot.

Also, my sisters boyfriend told me about "Deep Cycle Batteries". What are they and whats so good about them? Is it a good idea i invest in one?

Are Body Kits easy to obtain for a NL Fairlane? Any really great ones out there?

My cousin's MX5 is "Naturally Aspirated" or something like that, as soon as he hits a certain RPM the car seems to accelerate really well, is that different from a turbo? Is it cheaper? Can they be fitted into NL Fairlanes? Does Turbo work better?

Does "N/A" work with Diesel engines? I got this idea of having a new Diesel engine put in for the fact that Bio-Diesel is cheap and has up to 80% less emissions.

Can you put something inside the car doors to get rid of "Road noise"? Is it expensive? I saw some "Sound Deadening" in the new Jaycar catalogue. Would that be effective?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

sound deadening.... yes... can easily put in the doors of a Fairlane...

N/A does work with diesel engines.. however they go alot better when turbocharged..

putting a diesel engine in? (thats never been done b4 as far as i know).. if you want to run cheaper.. id suggest LPG conversion.. or keep an eye out for one that is all ready converted..

MX5 might have variable valve timing.. at a certain rpm it gains momentum faster... like v-tech.. can obtain similair traits with a large cam.. or a turbo on a six or turbo eight.. a supercharged version of a 6 or 8 will have smoother power delivery having the supercharger belt driven..
$$$ if you want to turbo or super charge though... -take a gander through the "Forced induction thread" -many great topics there...

Body kit is virtualy non existant... only the front bumper skirt will fit... and possibly wagon side skirts..(unsure).. the rear skirt would definatly be a custom job... non exist for the fairlane rear skirt...

unsure of the exact benifits of the "deep cycle batteries".. i just know they are good.. :wink: And im sure something could be done to mount a 2nd battery in the boot and have an electricain do a lil custom wiring to have that on stand by... :wink:

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Find yourself a NL fairlane concorde. If you love the interior on the standard NL then you will blow in your pants when you see the concorde interior... It also comes stock with XR6 motor, 3.45LSD and some other goodies. You will pick one up easy for $15,000

I would personally speak to neo_nick ask him about his fairlane that he has been trying to sell for god knows how long. As you may or may not know the standard manual falcons go ALOT better then the autos and his NL fairlane is one of only a handful of fairlanes that have been converted to manual.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: '98 EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ane+manual

That is nicko's fairlane.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:06 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Quote:
sound deadening.... yes... can easily put in the doors of a Fairlane...

Cool, does it have much of an effect on road noise?

Quote:
N/A does work with diesel engines.. however they go alot better when turbocharged..

I wont be able to drive a Turbo Charged car when im on my P plates though will i? Either with N/A I'm guessing. So that can be put on hold for a few years.

Quote:
putting a diesel engine in? (thats never been done b4 as far as i know).. if you want to run cheaper.. id suggest LPG conversion.. or keep an eye out for one that is all ready converted..

Yeah, I'm all for Bio-Diesel. 80% less emissions with the same power as Diesel (says the site anyway)

Quote:
MX5 might have variable valve timing.. at a certain rpm it gains momentum faster... like v-tech.. can obtain similair traits with a large cam.. or a turbo on a six or turbo eight.. a supercharged version of a 6 or 8 will have smoother power delivery having the supercharger belt driven..
$$$ if you want to turbo or super charge though... -take a gander through the "Forced induction thread" -many great topics there...

Probably when I'm at least 25. So insurance wont get me by the balls big time. They love ramping up the cost for under 25s.

Personally i hate his MX5, its way to small for me.

Quote:
Body kit is virtualy non existant... only the front bumper skirt will fit... and possibly wagon side skirts..(unsure).. the rear skirt would definatly be a custom job... non exist for the fairlane rear skirt...

Damn, and a custom job will cost me an arm and a leg I'm guessing? Oh-well, that just means less to spend on body improvements and more on the engine.

Quote:
unsure of the exact benifits of the "deep cycle batteries".. i just know they are good.. icon_wink.gif And im sure something could be done to mount a 2nd battery in the boot and have an electricain do a lil custom wiring to have that on stand by...

Because I'd want the inverter on the second battery so it wont drain the main one :)

If i decided i did want a body kit, is it possible to have the Fairlanes interior (Seats, steeringwheel, woodgrain insets blah blah) into an EL Falcon? Without too much trouble anyway.

EDIT: Just saw that fairlane and i would buy it instantly! But, i'll only have the money in about 2 years time. Reckon he'll still have it up for sale then?

Last edited by Damoo on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Liberty MY04 4GEN Luxury

VIC, Australia

Hey dude you're 15 now? By that time you can pick up a nice BA, I'd go for that.

www.lukehimself.net

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

im unsure of the road noise question..as far as i know its cheif job is to stop panel vibration... so i suppose it might block a bit of road noise out too.. :wink: ..

Pending what state your in... in NSW p-plates and turbo's are a "NO-NO"..

LPG is about it when it comes to converting the falcon sixes to run cheaper../cleaner.. no Fairlane diesel exists as far as i know.. you'd have to rob a bank.. -to fund such a project.. :lol:

Yep...males under 25 with any sports car.. amd BAM! huge insurance costs..

2 battery = a good idea..especialy at car shows... -ive found the hard way.. :lol:

yes, can fit a fairlane interior into a fairmont.. back seat could be a bit of a chore.. among other small thinhs.. i have an EL Fairmont GHIA leather interior that i retro teched into my EF Fairmont.. now i have LEATHER/WOODGRAIN and lots of exterior and interior chrome... :wink: very much LIKE a failane... exterior and interior wise... :wink:

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:53 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Quote:
im unsure of the road noise question..as far as i know its cheif job is to stop panel vibration... so i suppose it might block a bit of road noise out too..

Its only $16.50 a sheet which can do one door, so it wont hurt too bad if it doesn't do much :)

Quote:
Pending what state your in... in NSW p-plates and turbo's are a "NO-NO"..

I'm guessing Victoria is the same, They wont even let us drive V8s.

Quote:
LPG is about it when it comes to converting the falcon sixes to run cheaper../cleaner.. no Fairlane diesel exists as far as i know.. you'd have to rob a bank.. -to fund such a project..

What about buying a new Diesel engine and having it put in? Or will that cost an arm and a leg too?

Quote:
Yep...males under 25 with any sports car.. amd BAM! huge insurance costs..

Hehe, Under 25 with Family car = lower but still high price insurance. We just cant win.

Quote:
2 battery = a good idea..especialy at car shows... -ive found the hard way..

Yeah, i just want the second one for the Xbox that will be in the boot :) Not really into big fancy sound systems. But if the car comes with one, why not?

Quote:
yes, can fit a fairlane interior into a fairmont.. back seat could be a bit of a chore.. among other small thinhs.. i have an EL Fairmont GHIA leather interior that i retro teched into my EF Fairmont.. now i have LEATHER/WOODGRAIN and lots of exterior and interior chrome... icon_wink.gif very much LIKE a failane... exterior and interior wise...

Thats pretty cool, that means you could have the benefits of a Fairlane with the "Moddable" benefits of the Falcon/Fairmont.

I might just stick with the NL though, i like the large size of it too.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

this kid is 15...

if you have 15grand by the time your 18 i doubt you will want to spend it on an EL...i know i wouldnt

lol

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:08 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Unlike some 15 year olds i work. So $15000 is possible by the time i'm 18.

Was this supposed to be a lame attempt to "flame" me and my topic?

EDIT: Is it possible to get those Police speedos in a NL?

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

I don't reckon he was having a go at you mate, just stating the obvious really. I started working at 14yrs old and had it all planned out to end up with $10 000+ for my first car and ended up with only $5000... A good effort but you find other things come up along the way. Plus... it's still a long way off... you may come across another car you like more along the way. EL's aren't exactly the nicest car when you've got 15 grand to spend.. I'd be buying myself a Lexus LS400 if I had a spare $15k 8-)

As for fitting the police cluster in an NL... All things are possible but Fairlane clusters are shaped differently to Falcon/Fairmont ones so it would be extremely difficult. I've seen Fairlane clusters fitted to Falcons before so I assume it's possible to reverse the process.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:24 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I get about $4400 a year from work, so x3 it'd nearly be $15,000, $13,200 is how much i will have at the end of the 3 years if i dont spend any, which i wont because mum never lets me touch my bank money anyway lol.

If i have any more questions i'll update this thread. Mods i think it would be a good idea to move this from interior mods to what ever you see fit.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2