Fordmods Logo

kill switch to ignition. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: kill switch to ignition.
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I want to connect a kill switch to my ignition so no one can start up my car even if they have my keys, i am doing this purely for fun so my mates cant try driving my car around when im not looking and isnt really for protection against thieves. can anyone guide me to which wire would be most suitable for this? I have an EF Falcon GLI. thanx

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

any chance you can tell me what this is?

like a hidden switch some where, that must be turned on to start the igniton?

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yep, just a hidden switch.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: BA XR6 turbo

ACT, Australia

u just want to know the wire to use yeah ???? well u need a test light. pull the syrround put the loght on earth then find the wires on the back of the ignition baral there will be bout 5 or 6 big fat wires. u will need to probe the wires the one u want lights up when u turn the key and and start the car. when u let go after the car has started the light will go out.if u get that wire cut it and run it to a switch it will work.bit triky depends how keen u r to do it i would also use double wiring to and from the switch (the cables are fat ones for a reason) well good luck and have fun

If you think life is bad. Imagine being a egg...you only get laid once, you only get smashed once and the only bird that sits on your face is your mum!

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

xr Rob wrote:
u just want to know the wire to use yeah ???? well u need a test light. pull the syrround put the loght on earth then find the wires on the back of the ignition baral there will be bout 5 or 6 big fat wires. u will need to probe the wires the one u want lights up when u turn the key and and start the car. when u let go after the car has started the light will go out.if u get that wire cut it and run it to a switch it will work.bit triky depends how keen u r to do it i would also use double wiring to and from the switch (the cables are fat ones for a reason) well good luck and have fun

Well I have something simmilar to this setup.
1.When the key is put into the barrrel it turns but reds only come on.
2.to start the car you have to earth the barrel & your own secret location.

I like this system as I can leave the keys in the ignition at the servo when paying for fuel & no f**k can car jack ME.

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanx fellas, i'll pull off tha surrounding 2morrow and try 2 find a good wire to connect tha switch 2. i'll get back 2 youse when im done.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

make a doco...
not a bad small doco that can be made

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

grab a manual for the car n look for the incoming line to +12 on ur ignition barrel, cut it and run it thru a switch, that way itll feel like a dead battery till u flick the switch , then it all magically works again.

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

had one of these im my 1980 jackaroo, was pretty cool!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Ok, i have done it. pretty easy. This is what i did:

1. Took off steering column surrounding (2 screws underneath) this reveals the ignition and wiring.

2. There are 6 thick wires attatched to the back of the ignition. I didnt touch these cos they look too important. Instead i played with the 4 thin wires coming off the side of the ignition.

3. I followed the wiring of these 4 wires (black, brown, green, blue) until it came to a connection, i undid this connection and tried starting the car. It didn't start! perfect.

4. I cut the red wire (previously brown on other side of connector) and extended it concealing the connection btwn wires with tape and put my switch in.

All i have to do now is permenantly install my switch 2morrow cos its too late to use an electric drill now (mum will crack it).

Besides that my kill switch works sweet, when the ignition is turned on the electronics turn on and dash lites up but the engine doesnt. Kinda feels like havin a flat battery :)

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Oh no pplz, im having problems. put tha switch on 2day, and my car is starting even wheb the loom of 4 wires is disconnected. wtf???

I'm going to have to find a more primary wire to use.

Does anyone have the workshop manual for an ef? I need to know what each wire on tha ignition is connected to.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

The 4 wire plug going to the barrel is for your smartlock, thats probably why it is able to start. From memory, its 10 or so seconds after switch off that the BEM requires the code, so you've probably started it with it plugged in, it gets the code, then just unplugged it and restarted straight after. It wouldn't have had time to arm, and hence didn't require the code for restart. Wait until your smartlock light starts flashing, then try again. It should work.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

have you tried using the starter motor ECU output wire? If you use that wire it means that the starter motor won't get any signal from the ECU to start.

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Sweet as, i've done it. I ended up following the six wires that come out tha back of the ignition and bundle under the dash with everything else. I used the thick solid yellow wire which must be the ignition main, i have found a great place for my switch too, which is a small black inconspicuous little button which no-one has found. Yet.

Afta much f**k ups and a very sore back from working in the footwell upside down for bout 3 hours im very proud.

:D :D :D

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

alright guys sorry to open this thread again. just wondering would it be easier to connect a kill switch to the wire thats tells the ecu that the auto trans is in P or N..
so if the car thinks the trans is in D it wont start...??? or am i dreaming???

(if anyones switch gets f**k what you do is hold the key in start position and hit where the old hand brake is in XF's its like my lil kill switch works in mine)

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next