Fordmods Logo

Laptop Trip Computer (EF/L) 

Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Ok seems i f**k up the first circuit i made.

I looked at the eLab circuit that i have here and it seems that there is a 15k resistor and a transistor that is not in the circuit. Does anyone know what part this plays in the circuit?

It also doesnt have th PVR but that is not needed on this circuit as on the board it has marked on it 5-9v which is what we want to achieve.

if people want me to send these out to them i can for a small fee as they cost me something to get from school.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Seems like it's almost like what you need. The 15K is a load resistor for the DOL > transistor interface, I'd have it there for a clean and consistent signal.

as for teh Voltage reg, you feed 12V into it, and you get a clean 5V out of it to feed the MAX232 chip. The 1K resistor is a pullup resistor for the signal part of the 2n2222a. The transistor is there for switching the binary signal at the right level for the MAX232 to interpret.

In this case Im assuming the DOL would either be a 3.3 or a 5V source, in either case a local logic level is always better.

As for your board been marked with 5-9V, that means that you need an external voltage regulator to supply it, it just so happens that this one has it built in.

Basically the scematics I drew up provide you with something similar, just more specific to DOL, and even picking up other digital data which is similar.

Seems like you got a bit more time than I do, see if you can get a binary file up for me.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Hi guys, over the last 2 weeks i've been trying to get something up and running but have been faced with a couple of major problems:
1. unlike what was mentioned before i'm only getting 12 bytes of data out of the DOL, and can hardly find the sequence or numbering system(please check the screen shot, this was taken while the ignition was in the on position but engine was off). Can any one find what is wrong with my serial port setup? and why i'm getting (continiously) an error. I have already hooked up a cro to the line and found that the data rate is correct i.e. 1000bps.
2. Labview's visa vi accesses the serial port via the windows driver which doesn't allow non-standard bit rates, has any one found out how to over come this in labview?
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments:
rs232_screen_shot.JPG
rs232_screen_shot.JPG [ 75.2 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]

EL Falcon 5sp, body kit, exhaust, trip computer.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

C'mon guys it seems you are so close. any closer to getting it up and running yet???

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I was very close to getting it all under control. My main problem was setting 1000kbps on my laptop. the problem is that my laptop does not have a serial port and the "usb to serial" convertor (or the driver) didn't support 1000kbps. So i am looking into implementing a microcontroller that converts the serial data from 1000kbps to 9600kbps (standard baud rate, supported by all serial ports). Hopefully i'll get around to doing that in the next month ;) :P

EL Falcon 5sp, body kit, exhaust, trip computer.

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

Hmmmmmmmm. So its looking prommising then. well let us know how you go with it. am very interested in the results.

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Post subject: Re: Laptop Trip Computer (EF/L)
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Sierra saphire 4x4

Oustide Australia

Has any further work been done on this project? I ask as i would like to continue.
I have the fuel computer and EECIV brain
I know how some of the comms between the two happen. (FCR reader for scorpio, but developer not released source :-( )
http://158.143.56.200/~steve/eeciv/
the fuel computer has a motorola ecu with ofboard prom. in this prom is the datastream specs.
i have a scope and the rs232 interface and would like to document the protocol. but not to sell it as end product like pple seem to do. Am currelty documenting the suzuki ecu on another forum.

this is the FC i have http://www.fordscorpio.ee/images/obor1.jpg
anyone want images and IC listings, they in the works but will email anyone who needs them right now

Grim
Oh, ecu on suzuki info
http://rhinopower.activeboard.com/ in case your wondering.

Post subject: Re: Laptop Trip Computer (EF/L)
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

http://158.143.56.200/~steve/eeciv/ is my page. It describes how to make yourself a fault code reader for the EEC-IV so all the technical info I give relates to the DCL link - not to DOL - although there are quite a few similarities between them in the way that the messages are structured.

I didn't release the code because I know that the site is heavily monitored (still) by commercial vehicle electronics companies looking to build their own version.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 6  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6