Fordmods Logo

Leather EL-AU 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Leather EL-AU
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Toyota Surf, EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

ive been looking at upgrading to an EL or AU fairmont ghia, but i want leather . i have looked at a several fairmont ghias with leather and each one has a f**k drivers seat and a wearing passenger seat. Am i going to be expecting this with every fairmont ghia with leather or is this just random issue due to careless prevous owners, poor maintainence etc?

i have looked at a couple of Jeep grand cherokees as well (please dont flame) but the seats in these things are flawless. even with more kilometres. (pedantic yuppie drivers maybe??)

just after a few opinions and people experience with leather.

thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

well it depends how the leather is kept, you need to look after it or it isn't going to last long, and also depends on they leather companys use, but IMO Ford leather is good, i do automotive leather interior for a living, i see the difference all the time.

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Its usually carelessness by the owners. I look after my car meticulously inlcuding making sure I dont scratch or damage the drivers seat when getting in and out and covering them up when I'm dirty.

When I had my EL Fairmont Ghia the drivers seat edge was worn a fairbit. I got some leather cleaner and moisturiser and worked it into the leather. The leather came up beautifully but it still had wear marks. But they never got any worse while I owned the car.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

The wear is preventable really; only hard part to prevent is the seat belt rubbing on the side if you keep the seat forward a fair way (dont laugh as its vv common lol) and with us larger ppls flatening the seat base a little over time; but thats easy fix and doesnt mark/discolour/tear/stretch the leather in any way which means its 100% fixable.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cheers guys.

i have also heard from some people that once i hev leather i wont want it again. anyone here hate their leather seats? cos of the heat etc??

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Other way around for me; I had velour 1st and it was so cumfy in pretty much all weather.
Then went to the FBT n got leather, didnt thin Id like it however its good, easy to look after n clean, looks good, smells good, gives it a more luxury car feel and at the end of the day I dont care if its hot or cold with leather, not like u have bare skin on it to get burnt hardly lol

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Yeah I had leather and I never want it again. The velour is so much better.
Its sticky when your sweating and you slide all over the seat when your not.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:28 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Leather looks the part and is easy to clean but needs more care.

In Sydney though it gets too hot for it to be comfortable. You do get hot sticky and sweaty and its a pain compared to velour.

Maybe its because I am a fat bastard or its hotter up here in Sydney but despite loving the look I won't be doing a leather upgrade.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

leather or velour your still going to swet with a hot car the only difference is the swet will be absorbed into the velour seats and after a few years might tend to smell. leather in the fairmont ghia's is poor quality compaired to a LTD i got leather ghia and my fokes have got a leather DF LTD and there is a huge difference in leather quality ltd is softer and of a higher grade. For a 9 year old car my fokes interior is spot less and still has that rich leather smell and you dont tend to swet as much as mine also you only swet when the car has been in the sun and is hot dont think you swert in leather all the time unless you have your a/c off. and also i noticed that i dont swet in mine when i wear cottton cloths as to poliester or synthetic materials.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

voids i tend to disagree. My old man had a 95 LTD with the cappa leather interior and it wore badly and became shiney on the front seats. It was a very well looked after car too with not too many km. I think leather is just one of those things that will wear. Mind you so will cloth, just as badly if you don't maintain it.

:)

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

its up to u at the end of the day but even look at getting just a fairmont ..xr what eva to save money on the ghia and then pay an interior place to do a wicked leather interior for u....normally a really nice job throught the car is 2.5K

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:00 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Leather aint all tis cracked up to be. I wanted leather in the Falcon, got the leather interior, put it in, decided it was too unpractical for me.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

just comes down to what u prefer really...leather is nice but i prefer velour..

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm decisions decisions lol. mite just be tight save a few grand, listen to the old man and go for the fairmont wid velour.

cheers all for the replys. thumbs up

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ill also add it depends what model you get.
I wouldnt touch the Ghia/fairlane leather - its pretty much like voids said compared to the LTD GT or FBT leather, MUCH nicer and doesnt go shiney, well not in my case and still smells/looks/feels new.

Only time leather is a REAL issue for me is when i need to carry stuff on back seat as i dont want to rip or mark the leather as you could imagine, for an everyday car id go velour, just keep it well cleaned likei did my old fairlane and it will be softer then new haha.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next