Fordmods Logo

LED parcel shelf brake light? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: LED parcel shelf brake light?
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA XR8

ACT, Australia

Is it possible yet to replace the globe in the parcel shelf with a set of LED's and have everything like Cruise work ok?

I am looking to remove my spoiler and would rather put long lasting LED's in the shelf rather than a globe.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:57 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yes

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Ah, thanks. Is it just a matter of putting LED's in the holder? There will be standard globes in the other brake lights etc.

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:22 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Most LED type bulbs are going to be the wrong design to work in the rear high mount brake light.

i.e. the bulbs will be built to 'point' away from the base (out in a regular taillight assembly), but the rear mountlight has the bulb socket at the bottom pointing up, thus the bulb will be pointing the wrong way. Possibly preventing most of the light being useful (LEDs are very directionaly, unlike a filament style bulb).

But the bulb out sensor, should still work with them just fine (my tail/brake lights are LEDs, never had a problem with the bulb out message).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Hi Chris!

Last I heard, when people changed their rear tail lights to LED's the CC stopped working because the system had no idea what the brakes were doing with the different load due to LED's replacing standard globes.

Did you do anything special, did you build your lights?

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:34 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Nope, Nope

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

My guess then is the manufacturer has built into them the resistance/whatever is needed to enable LED tail lights, which wouldn't be too hard if you know what you're doing. If you just put LED's in, they'll work and light up, but Cruise is a goner....

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Rear Taillights will make the CC malfunction not the parcel shelf one.

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSM Ford Cruiser's Web Site

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Ta Matt, can you recommend anything for the parcel shelf. Chris was saying it may not reflect properly.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

You would need to purchase (yes they are available) an led setup that has been designed for this purpose - I have seen them online a few times when I looked at a few LED conversions - I will try and chase down some links for you.

And yes a rightangle style setup is what you need as it will reflect the light but wont be emitted brightly and you'd likely get pinged for it or have someone not notice you braking and run into you - this is as Chris stated LEDs are directional and the standard filament is omni-directional....there would be nothing stopping you also customising the globe holder to accommodate this but making removing the bulb slightly harder.

Even tail lights can be configured so as not to effect the CC and for indicators an additional relay is required available through most auto-elecs or pauto-elec part suppliers such as repco (LED flasher units)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

If you look on ebay you can find globes that have like 12-24 leds wrapped around providing the wrap around light required for the reflectors.

To get around the cruise issue you need to install a resistor that would simulate the current being drawn from the globe, I need to one day get around to finding the cut off point on my test bench.

Also about the relay I think you mat be getting confused with Indicators in regards to that. And good luck finding a Flasher Can on a BA , as they dont exist, it is part of the cluster.

Matt

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Contact me for Cluster Programming & Window switch colour change for BA/BF Falcons & Territory.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

If I just want to put led's in teh parcel shelf, will I still need the load resisitor?

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I wouldnt think so as the XR's dont have one and everything is fine :)

2004 Harvest Green XR6
Orsm Ford Cruisers

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

Ah, yeah, true, I never thought of that, I don't have one now so it shouldn't matter what I put there as long as it lights up correctly, excellent!

Hmmm..I may want led's in the tail lights after I do it though.....lol.....it never ends.....sigh...

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

aumatt wrote:
If you look on ebay you can find globes that have like 12-24 leds wrapped around providing the wrap around light required for the reflectors.

To get around the cruise issue you need to install a resistor that would simulate the current being drawn from the globe, I need to one day get around to finding the cut off point on my test bench.

Also about the relay I think you mat be getting confused with Indicators in regards to that. And good luck finding a Flasher Can on a BA , as they dont exist, it is part of the cluster.

Matt

Matt what I was referring to is a seperate flash unit run inline with the regular indicator circuit...as I have done with my own EF - in my previous post I mentioned the stop tail light and then also referred to the indicator incase genebaby goes down that path as he seems keen to replace all (rear and parcel shelf) stop tail lights...I assume eventually he'll want to do the rest as well...

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next