Fordmods Logo

looking to put 6x9 in the front doors any ideas on how to?? 

Page 4 of 5 [ 61 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: looking to put 6x9 in the front doors any ideas on how to??
Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:15 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Wrong. You are getting out of phase sound from the back speakers and it is generally of worse quality than the front speakers. How does that make better sound?!

As soon as you get used to fronts only and try to listen to a carr with all 4 it doesnt sound right

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

It all boils down to personal taste. I know that 6 inch speakers sound terribly nasal and boomy in the back of mine, but decent speakers and equalisation should/could fix that. I always faded them down to near zero and understand the concept of rear fill, but the system sounds way tighter without them. 8-)

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:39 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

LTDHO wrote:
effalconxr6 wrote:
is it realy worth having no back speakers AT ALL? does it make that much of a difference?

Yes and Yes.

A misconception in car audio, the rear speakers are not for the people in the back.

They are known as ‘rear fill’ and are certainly required. You do not need to amplify these and you do not need to spend a fortune either. I usually put in 3 ways from the same manufacturer as the front speakers. Anyone who set’s up their system for SQ (sound quality) will fit rear fill. Your audio will sound s**t without it.

To test, I put on a CD (not Ipod, mp3, etc) and listen to it at a variety of levels with my eyes closed. Just listen.

In saying that, anyone with 6x9’s aren’t building a system for quality!

Sorry, you couldn't get any more wrong than that.

No one who's serious about SQ fits rear fill at all.

/me SQ judge and competitor for the MEA competition series.

As said, it provides out of phase response (interfering with frequency response), drags the sound stage rearward. And in most situations (parcel shelf installation, sub in the boot) the pressure waves of the sub will distort the rear cone movement.

The best analogy I use in the case is.

- When you go to a concert how much music comes from behind you. None.
- When you go to a concert are the artists sitting in your lap. No they're in front (and often higher) than you.

So in a SQ system, you want the music as forward as you can, high up at ear level, and not coming from behind you. Same in cars as in home HiFi (not home theatre, where surround sound is part of the movie experience).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

How long have you been a member od CAA?

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:59 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Dunno, many years.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: LTDHO

VIC, Australia

Same, kewl.

I had a look through the MEASQ entry details. I'm surprised I used to get high results with my set up, admittingly it mas a long time ago. That was before time alignment too!

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

ply-boi wrote:
p****d'N'broke wrote:
i was hoping you'd reply ahahha, not 100% on the songs off the top of my head (im pretty sure theres a song on BMTH - suicide season - CUT UP) but say there willl be a quick metal style solo that will go from left to right a couple of times and then front to rear acouple of times. wouldnt that make it a 4 channel track? it'll turn out im wrong im waiting for a big reply with plenty of info haha.

it cant go front to back
the only i can think u may think it is doing is if its going left to right and ur speakers are resevred to the right is connected to the left and left is connected to the right so when the music gos left to right in you car its really going across diangles

i work with home theaters everyday

yeh i know this now, but as data_mine stated "Binaural sound" , it is a way for recording music and making it seem like a 3D environment. so basically my ears are being tricked to thinking its fading sounds front to rear during the track. i definatly didnt hook them up diagonally..

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

These speakers are Warfedale's and aren't the deepest 6x9's I've ever seen. They only just fit, it took a couple of goes to get the spacer correct so the window didn't hit on the back of them (particularly with the door closed as they actually pushed the door lining in to the car about 5mm.)

You need to cut the back of the seam in the Ford original door lining speaker cover grille --- Pull the door lining off and have a look at the back of it, you'll see what I mean...

Also, see if you can find / beg / borrow / steal a NIBBLER or use a short blade on a jigsaw. Angle grinders are b**ch to get cutting tidy compound curves...

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

jrloz wrote:
1 word mate "ipod"
One other strange thing --- Don't most head units worth anything play DVD's nowadays? Don't a lot of them have 5.1 channel? Easy enough DATA_MINE. My car does this, but I don't have 5.1 speakers. I got tweeters up the dash reflecting off the windscreen and 6x9's in the front doors (that never even get turned up that loud as their basically doing mid range) and the bass comes from the boot (miles away in a wagon, so fader is pretty much always in that direction depending on how you have the amp set up for the rear....)

I have found a happy equal where all six speakers start distorting at the same time...
:lol:

I've found the 6x9's in the front to be okay - Although I admit to having a good 6.5" in the left hand door at the moment, and honestly --- It's almost impossible to hear the difference. Although I am slightly deaf and get ringing in both ears on occasions (power saws) I have spent years around recording studios and some very nice quality sound equipment... As a budget mod, I'd do it again if I had a higher quality pair of 6x9's laying around... Depending on output you may want to disable or limit the tweeter functionality.

If I had more cash I'd do the 6.5 route next time but as this was a cost cutting measure (I bought new 6x9's for the back so thought I'd use the old ones up front replacing the rusting Ford 6" in the process....)

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

fiend wrote:
Also, see if you can find / beg / borrow / steal a NIBBLER or use a short blade on a jigsaw. Angle grinders are b**ch to get cutting tidy compound curves...

Not to mention dangerous. Imagine the blade getting caught and shattering....

fiend wrote:
One other strange thing --- Don't most head units worth anything play DVD's nowadays? Don't a lot of them have 5.1 channel? Easy enough DATA_MINE. My car does this, but I don't have 5.1 speakers. I got tweeters up the dash reflecting off the windscreen and 6x9's in the front doors (that never even get turned up that loud as their basically doing mid range) and the bass comes from the boot (miles away in a wagon, so fader is pretty much always in that direction depending on how you have the amp set up for the rear....)

Hmm... Except your missing the fact that SQ units still only do 4 channel audio from CD's (a 2 channel source)

Other than that I really dont want to reply becuase im going to have to be mean :D

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I thought anyone could read between the lines and BUY A BLOODY MUSIC DVD...
Sigh.

Anyway, 6 x 9's can work in front and sound passable. Up to you guys to argue over crap.

Have done it. It works good enough for me. Don't care.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:10 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

fiend wrote:
Sigh.

Anyway, 6 x 9's can work in front and sound passable. Up to you guys to argue over crap.

Have done it. It works good enough for me. Don't care.

Well after all that's the point. If YOU (the owner) likes it, great, job's done.

If you've never heard any better, then looking at guys like me, with $5000+ worth of speakers*, each running from it's own channel on an amp, and the two channel front signal being split 4 ways, with variable cross over points, multi band EQ and time alignment on each channel, may think we're crazy/silly/wasting time/money.

*My sub alone is worth more than what most people think is a good system. I then proceed to blow their minds when they have a listen to my car - with whatever music they like, it'll play anything great.

Don't go confusing me with those audiophile poofters, who think having a wooden volume knob makes a difference, along with their silver plated directional speaker wire, and plastic CD covers that reduce vibration enhancing the output from the CD. Or buy monster cable. lol They're the ones wasting money.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nah mate - I have heard real nice stuff too, don't get me wrong... Your stuff is going to blow mine away, for sure.

But for under $500... Including a DVD screen.... I feel like this is a win!
8-)

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

fiend wrote:
Sigh.

I thought someone would realise by SQ unit i mean something like this

http://www.pioneer.com.au/en/Products/Car%20Entertainment/CD%20DVD%20Players/DEX%20P90RS.aspx

Not your s**t DVD player units that add extra cost to what is usually a base unit with DVD slapped on.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

woah that headunit is mental, doesnt have internal amps? just outputs for many other external amps, i would say that comp gear or for someone with deep pockets. is fibre optics really that good for SQ or more of a wank?

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next