Fordmods Logo

Mirror Dip during Reverse 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Mirror Dip during Reverse
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

I have come across references to the Mirror Dip feature when reversing in the workshop manual.

What cars have this feature? The missus has a Territory Ghia and I don't think it has it.

Is this a Fairlane or LTD feature perhaps?

My followup questions will then be, if you have the Mirror Dip feature, which is driven by the Seat Memory Module under the drivers seat, what type of seat do you have? 6-way, 8-way or 10-way memory seat?

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK, found some info.

The feature on the Ford Website is called "Memory power adjustable pedals/driver's seat/reverse auto adjust mirrors" and is availalbe on the Fairmont Ghia and up.

6-way memory seats don't appear to do the mirrors or the pedals. I've noticed that the 6-ways don't come with memory any more - I saw the Territory boys saying that had been taken out of the SY range. The missus has an SX Ghia so gets memory. Lucky.

The Fairmont Ghia gets "8-way power driver's seat with memory mirrors and memory pedals"

The Fairlane gets "8-way powered driver's seat, mirrors and power adjustable pedals (with memory) & 8-way front passenger seat (without memory)"

The LTD gets "10-way powered driver's seat, mirrors and power adjustable pedals (with memory) & 6-way front passenger seat (without memory)"

The harness of the Passenger Power Seat only comes with the Fairlane (Connecto C-229), but could be spliced easily enough into the same power lines that power the drivers seat. This connector is, interestingly enough, a part of the extension to the RHS Main Loom 14405.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Some more info from other threads.

System needs to have BEM/H already. (Auto Climate Control, or Manual CLimate Control with Auto Lights On)

Need 8-Way seat base from Fairmont Ghia.
Need RHS Main Loom from Fairmont Ghia.

Now it also looks like we need:

Driver and Passenger Mirror from Fairmont Ghia
Drivers and Passengers Door Loom from Fairmont Ghia.
Mirror Controller from Fairmont Ghia Drivers Door.

I have been informed to allow for a budget of around $1500 by FTG

I'm around 6 months away from being able to do any work in this area. If anyone else is thinking about doing the same I'd be interested in helping or following.

I thought I'd put the info here since we'd been chatting about it in another thread (MCC to ACC Upgrade) and thought it was diluting that thread.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

What a good idea, hang on I already got all that lol. The mirror takes a good 4 seconds to start to dip, by that time i am going into drive, it is useful though.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I've done some more research and found the following parts list might be useful.

Of note, this pricing is probably out of date and short by maybe 20%.

Also, I could only find the 6-way seatbase in the parts list.

Lukeyson

Attachments:
Memory Seats and Mirror Parts and Pricing.xls [14 KiB]
Downloaded 584 times

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Some notes:

(1) Ordinary 'Mirrors' are Polarity Power driven. 3-lines change polarity to drive motors in one direction or another.

(2) Memory Mirrors are digital. They have a GND and +ve supply, and a data line that is shared between (1) the two mirrors, (2) a 'mirror modulator' controller, and (3) the Memory Module itself. The Modulator is an intercept between the Mirror controller Switch and the Digital Control of the mirror, so the same switch can be used. It is via this digital interface that Mirror Position can be accurately controlled. I suspect that a single digital location value is sent to move the mirror to a remembered spot. OR some feedback on the digital line is provided.

(3) AU LTD mirrors, connectors, modulator and interface to the memory module are identical to the BA Fairmont Ghia and higher models with memory mirror.

(4) The AU Memory Module might drive the BA Mirrors, but it has no integration to the BA Bem and cannot drive the BA Adjustable Pedals. So if you're just after Memory Mirrors with reverse dip, go for the AU LTD Module if you can find one.

(5) The BA Memory Module has a BEM data input so up to 2 keyfobs can set memory position as well as the 3 seat buttons. It also has input for the Pedal Box Position Sensor and Pedal Box Adjust Switch.

(6) AU and BA LHS Mirrors are different because of the Ambient Temp Sensor in Auto Climate Control BA models. BUT the harness is nearly the same (other than the extra pins used for the Temp Sensor).

(7) The RH Door Harness has to be changed to allow for the Mirror Modulator controller.

(8) The Dash Harness and BEM must already be 'high series' so that theBEM can send keyfob signals to the memory module.

(9) Two harnesses down the RHS of the car have to be changed to provide the connectors under the drivers seat and access to the Reverse line for activating the mirror dip.

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:50 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

I dont like the mirror dipping at all. When reversing im always looking out the rear window, plus my mirrors dont reset when in drive mode either. Any idea why there is a button for it on the drivers seat when it automatically comes on when in reverse?

2003 BA Fairmont Ghia V8 www.bseries.com.au/acey xr8 catback

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Where I want the feature is when I reverse in to my parking space at work, or when I reverse-park on the street. What it does is let me see how close I am to the gutter and to the edge of the garden down the left side of the car. I manually dip every single time I park at work (so every day) and every time I do a reverse park on the street (every couple of days).

The button on the seat is for 'setting' or selecting the reverse dip location. The reverse location is just a 4th Memory location and can be changed just as any of the other 3 can be changed. The first two locations can be either triggered by the seat buttons, or by the 1st two (of up to 8) keyfobs that are trained to the car. The 3rd spot (at least on our Territory Ghia) is triggered only by the seat button, and the mirror dip is triggered by the seat mirror button or by a 12V signal on the reverse light line.

To change the settings, I thought it was a matter of selecting the memory location (short button press or keyfob), making the necessary changes, then either pressing and holding the button down until it beeps to 'save' the setting, or locking the car with the keyfob.

I mentioned this to my missus just this morning about why I'm researching this, and she's just spruked up wondering of she can do the same thing. As far as I am aware, there are no 'digital' memories on Territory mirrors, but the mechanism from a BA/AU might able to be retrofitted. But it's not a pretty option...

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I just found a startling piece of information from the fairlane/G220 ISG Training guide:

"The seat settings are stored in the seat module located under the
seat. Mirror setting are stored in the mirror module located behind
the drivers door trim. Pedal settings are stored in the Seat module."

WTF!

Mirror dip might not need a Memory Module in the seat! But then, the only way the seat memory buttons, keyfb buttons and reverse-light messages get to the Mirror Controller is via the Seat Memory Module. The key will be in this digital signalling and whether we can sent messages or not.

I'm stunned. Pricing for the Drivers Door harness and module is quite cheap. It's the mirrors, RHS Main Harness and Seat Memory Module that are expensive.

But heck! That maybe just the clue I need to kick me into gear and try stuff!!

(You might have guessed that I'm all excited at the moment.....)

Lukeyson

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Pfft!

I just made a pretty serious effort to call a few of the main wreckers around my area (Newcastle / Central coast) and not one place had a BA Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane/Ghia, G220 or LTD so that I could get the mirrors, drivers harness and Mirror Modulator Controller. Even FTG, which normally have just about everything you could imagine, couldn't help.

In fact, many places just quoted me on normal mirrors and didn't realise there was a difference. I have even sent a request out on www.findapart.com.au

So I ask for some assistance.

Do any of you know of any good Ford Wreckers anywhere in Australia that may have wrecked any of those models in the recent past?

I'd be interested in the name of the business and the phone number...

I might even post up a separate thread asking this same question.

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, I now accept that this is just about impossible.

I rang pretty much EVERY well known Ford Wreckers in NSW, and even made some calls to VIC. Many of them suggested McArthur or FTG!

The controller and RHS loom are cheap enough new. But the mirrors - they are the mongrels. Maybe it's time to start lobbying the aftermarket industry to pull their finger out....

Lukeyson

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

Hey Lukeyson, I live in Brissie and thought I'd give you a few places to try up here...obviously it all depends on whether the person who picks up the phone knows what you're talking about, but here goes...Pacific Highway wreckers 0732871460 - I know that they've done a BA Fairlane Ghia a while ago because I bought some bits off it. Small's wrecking 0732842017 - They've wrecked quite a few BA models. City Parts Plus 0738652900 - ditto. GDM wreckers 0732773222 - ditto. Capalaba Ford wreckers 0738241555 - ditto. Aussie car recyclers 0732903000 - ditto. Jordo's auto parts 0733410777 - ditto. Beenleigh auto dismantlers 0733826466 - ditto. That's about all I can think of at the moment but if I hear of anything exciting, I'll let you know...cheers Linz.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Beauty.

Thanks for that, I'll give them a go.

Sandy at Wickham Spares in Newcastle knows her stuff, and only just recently did a country-wide search for a Fairlane drivers-side mirror. It was apparently a long-hard search for her and it only just came up with a result....

While I haven't found any different part numbers, she came across an issue where the high-spec long-wheelbase models have a wrap-around chrome strip that stops the mirror from fitting right on SWB models or low-spec long-wheelbase models.

BUt I'll be sure to give those numbers a try.

Lukeyson

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Still no luck with sourcing parts. Money is thin at the moment around chrissy, so that's not such a problem.

But I've rung just about everywhere of importance at least 3 times now and no luck.

If only for the lack of supply, this looks like it might have be possible to do.

Oh well. We sit and wait.

Lukeyson

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF MKIII XR inspired wagon

QLD, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
Still no luck with sourcing parts. Money is thin at the moment around chrissy, so that's not such a problem.

But I've rung just about everywhere of importance at least 3 times now and no luck.

If only for the lack of supply, this looks like it might have be possible to do.

Oh well. We sit and wait.

Lukeyson
Hey Lukeyson, I just noticed your post...bad luck about the search so far, I'd forgotten about the project until now. I've been doing up a EB Gli for my daughter's first car for a while now (changed the interior to ED fairmont, cruise control, clock, xr6 dash cluster, factory classic mags, red mouldings inserts etc...the list goes on)...I'll keep my eyes open for a Fairlane/G220 etc, we're off to Tassie on sunday for a couple of weeks...might have to tour near some wreckers!...cheers Linz.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next