Fordmods Logo

My Power Window Mistake , Help Needed 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: My Power Window Mistake , Help Needed
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hi all

few weeks ago me and a mate installed front power windows in my EF.
I followed the doco and it was all good. The problem is that the holes in the regs i was given by the wrecker didnt match up with the holes in the bracket attached to the window. So me n my m8 had the bright idea of making the holes in the regs bigger. We did this and as a result ok the regs fit now but the motors struggle to bring the windows up. Because we made the holes bigger the windows come up on a slight angle.

Any way long story short it was frustrating me so i greased and lubed the S*&T outta the pathways for the windows and they go up quite well suprisingly. But i have to re-grease the freaking things like every week.

Does any one know or can think of an easier way to fix this, and i obvisouly cant exchange the regs because we have altered them slightly.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the essay

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Did you buy the wrong ones? well easiest I reckon is to of course get the ones that will fit without adjusting of the brackets...but obviously you're not going to do this anytime soon.

By the way when you want to lube up the pathways...use dry lubricant and not grease or else dirt and junk might get caught in it and of course make things worse. Give that a shot and see how long it lasts

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

You said you made the holes bigger where the regulator attaches to the bracket - surely this would give you enough 'play' to angle the window correctly.

I actually did this on the weekend replacing my passenger door with one from the wreckers that had a manual reg. I had no problem fitting my electric reg into the door so it seems strange the holes didn't match on yours.

FWIW mine still stick if not regularly lubed (casing the window to angle and jam - esp after rain). It's a common thing with these models. You think by 1995 Ford would have worked out the simple concept of getting a bit of glass to move in some runners. :!:

Also, before I stripped the manual reg out I noticed that it seemed not to jam the window as badly as the electric reg...so maybe it's actually working 'properly'.

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah when i bought them i just contacted the spare parts place i got some other stuff from and asked him for everything needed to convert the front windows in a 1996 EF Falcon and i made sure that he knew it was EF. Then when i got em i was like s**t , i should have just taken them back but we just wanted to get it done so we just drilled the holes out. (heinsight is a wonderful thing)

oh and after rain yeah they really suck. i agree it couldnt be too hard to work out a good system by 95'.

and with the dry lube , is there any u suggest cuz i went to my local repco and at first i got CRC lithium grease spray that worked good but it just dried up so after like a few hours they just got stuck again. Then i used INOX (similar to WD-40) again good but dried up and then i thought of grease cuz it doesnt really dry up.
ill get rid of it now cuz it does seem to be going all grose.

thanks

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Well, if you now have two huge holes for the bolts to go into, why not move to smaller bolts and nuts, with huge washers on either side. You should then be able to adjust the crap outta them and get it perfect. It'll work similar to how you can adjust your door lock plate on older cars. Then just do them up damn tight.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

I used Selleys EZI-Glide which worked OK. It's silicon based.

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I have an abundant supply of silicon spray from work - I use it on my slides and wheels, and pretty much everything else that needs to look black and shiny. :)

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Umm I'm not sure of any dry lubricant...but if you want to be asian you can always use graphite...steal someone's grey lead pencils and rub it till its nice and smooth :P

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Graphite powder is the go. But be prepared for a bit of a mess for the first couple of days cos when that s**t gets on your arm or your clothes it is horrible stuff to get off. But it worked on my xf and eventually I stopped getting it on everything.... :lol:

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

when I replaced the drivers front power window I had trouble with the window coming up I had to pull it up from half way, I found a can of Wurth curtain track lube as flooded the rubber channel the glass runs in and it slides with no problems now and its been 18months or longer since I did it, so all the windows got a spray

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Im going to have to watch out for that when i do my conversion next week.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i found that if i tightened the bolts all the way it struggled to go up, although when i lossened them a little it went up fine. although in the rain or when its damp they REALLY struggle to go p, i have to like start pressing the buttons when i enter my street in order to have them up by the time i get up the drive way....

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:47 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah i am using small bolts already and it helped but its so hard to get them tight enough so consequently they move up and down when the window moves and this makes it even harder. There tight enough now to stay but the windows still struggle at the bottom.
Ill try some of the lubing methods u guys mentioned.

Thanks for all ya help, ill post back details on how i go with it

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:51 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

oh and also, any one know where to get graphite powder cuz that sounds like a long lasting solution

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF 95' Fairmont

WA, Australia

oooh one thing with ya driver side window iv'e noticed i recently put some 6" splits in and the magnet seems to push the foam into the window making hard to come out... just a thought

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next