Fordmods Logo

Narva LED globes in holder thingos 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Narva LED globes in holder thingos
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

When I was bored at work the other day I was flicking through the Narva products catalogue, anyways, in it I saw that they are selling LEDs. The LEDs come in little holder things that look to be identical to the ones that hold the globes for the dash.
So if anyone is considering doing the LED dash lighting conversion, go to some auto store and check these out first as it may save you having to do all the soldering and that, as you could just unscrew the old globe holders and globes, and screw in these led holders...

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

For the AU anyway, the NARVA bulb holders aren't the same as the stock ford ones. They don't have the thread/pattern to screw it into the hole. If you get what i mean. You could get them to fit with a bit of modifying, I spose.

Post subject: Re: Narva LED globes in holder thingos
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
When I was bored at work the other day I was flicking through the Narva products catalogue, anyways, in it I saw that they are selling LEDs. The LEDs come in little holder things that look to be identical to the ones that hold the globes for the dash.
So if anyone is considering doing the LED dash lighting conversion, go to some auto store and check these out first as it may save you having to do all the soldering and that, as you could just unscrew the old globe holders and globes, and screw in these led holders...

heheh bit slow arnt u this has been posted before u can check the website and they do replacement ones that are exactly the same as ef/el u can order them through repco

Post subject: Re: Narva LED globes in holder thingos
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

Rapier wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

heheh bit slow arnt u this has been posted before u can check the website and they do replacement ones that are exactly the same as ef/el u can order them through repco

you dont happen to know the part number do you?

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

47900 12V White
L.E.D B8.5d
(BAX 10d)
White 40
47900BL Blister Pack (2)

47902 12V Blue
L.E.D B8.5d
(BAX 10d)
Blue
47902BL Blister Pack (2)

47904 12V Red
L.E.D B8.5d
(BAX 10d)
Red
47904BL Blister Pack (2)

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

there the ones the narvo wedge globes will suit most e series falcons and go straight in without the hassle of fiddlin round with soldering and resistors.....

U can pick these up from most auto electrical stores that deal narva products such as autopro, repco and ingrams

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

also word of warning to all that do this mod....check the globes before installing them as i had a faulty globe...forgot to test and it shorted one of the circuits in my instrument cluster so i had to solder a new circuit in ...all good now though :P

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Au XR6

VIC, Australia

what about where you cant use the globes?
do u have to solder the leds to the residtors still?

Au XR6 - 5 speed, short throw shifter, pacemaker 4499's, hi-flow cat, 2.5 inch cat back, 19 inch advatini wheels, and a k&n filter, dumped on ultralows = 153.2rkws

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

lukesghia wrote:
what about where you cant use the globes?
do u have to solder the leds to the residtors still?

depends on what u mean by where u cant use the globes ???

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Ok this is for an EF (my car as I have done this mod 3 times in 3 different cars now)

Ok firstly I believe the globes are polar ie they will work only if they are inserted correclty, much like a battery. This is a cause of many people saying they dont work. The solution is to turn the individual glboe 180 degrees and see what happens.

Secondly the globes will work only in the cluster (maybe CC/Air Con unit didnt try it but I dont beleive so). This is a feature of the cluster and these LED globes are designed for this purpose.

Thirdly they will not work in a clock or trip computer. To change the colour of the trip ocmputer/clock, see Laximah's doco (trying to convince him to gget it on FordMods.com), he has great, clear onstructions with photos. (LINK TO THREAD OF INSTRUCTIONS: http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4359)

The reason they dont work in a clock or trip computer is of a filter paper that filters the light through it, obviously.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XR8 UTE

VIC, Australia

I've seen a clock that was blue before but they used a home-made LED to do it and it looks way better than changing the filter colour!

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Yes LEDs look better then wannabe changes like filter paper.

But I choose filter paper because

a) Its eaiser, as I dont feel confident soldering
b) I can change colours to see what looks good and what gives off a good light.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

If you want to, get the push-in wedge type LEDS, as described before, and then get the globes and holders, (part # EF-10B765-D) and replace the globes with your LEDS.

the holder should be Black or White. The Blue holders do NOT have removeable globes!!

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

I changed the filter papaer AND put in blue LEDs, that gets the best result. As seen here:
http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5785

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Ok this is for an EF (my car as I have done this mod 3 times in 3 different cars now)

Ok firstly I believe the globes are polar ie they will work only if they are inserted correclty, much like a battery. This is a cause of many people saying they dont work. The solution is to turn the individual glboe 180 degrees and see what happens.
Correct. The term is polarity sensitive. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. A diode is basically a one way valve (or check valve) for electricity and as such will only allow current to flow in one direction. Most LED's Ive seen have a + and - symbols indicating which terminal is which. But if they dont just turn them 180 degrees like twirqurky said.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next