Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Odometer Problems
Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EFII Manual

NSW, Australia

Hey Guys,

I have a 95 EFII GLi and all my dash lights etc work but the actual odometer no longer has any lighting on it..

Do these have a fuse or is the light likely to be blown or wot??

Any help on wot this could be?

Thanx

Im here for a good time not a long one.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

First thing to do is pull out the cluster and check the globe.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
First thing to do is pull out the cluster and check the globe.

Seems i also have the same problem with no lights on the oddometer :(

Today i pulled out my EF I6 GLi cluster to do a few mods.
Added wires for low coolant warning, low washer warning, trip computer and spot lamp warning. Also added a bulb and holder for the spot light warning.

Interesting thing to note was the my EF cluster required a diode for the spot lamp warning. The mod doc says only ELs require diode with cathode facing center of cluster. In my case, it was the origional cluster gudging by the cluster build date. Not thinking much i added the diode as for the EL and installed the cluster. The center warning lights would not work :(
Pulling the cluster out again and checking the trace for the spot light warning lamp, it was obvious that the diode needed to be added with the cathode towards the edege of the board. It should be as follows
PIN+o--------oDIODE>o--------oLAMP
(the > is the cathode side of the diode marked with a whitw band)

So if you do a spot light warning lamp update on EF GLi clusters, check the circuit board as it seems there are differant versions :?

Oops, i have digressed.
Anyway my problem is after installing the cluster again, the oddometer was not as bright as was in the past. Later it didn't light up at all.
Lamps were OK as i checked them before putting the cluster back in.

What other lamps are on the same circuit as the oddometer lamp ?
Is the oddometer lamp the first in the circuit, hence likely to blow if there is a short somewhere ?
I did short interior lamps, clumsy :lol: , but they are on CRT LP FUSE whereas the cluster is on INST BAT FUSE.

Anyone have any ideas before i pull out the cluster for the nth time :roll:

Cheers

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:01 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falconel

QLD, Australia

Mine is doing the same, got a EL falcon, as some of the others have i checked the light, i started to think the LCD just seams to die, similar to a computer LCD monitor, they are complex but they have a little converter to display, i was going to try and find it on mine to see if that was the problem

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Check wiring, that connector pins are in properly.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:36 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well in my case it was the lamp behind the oddometer :oops:
Still don't know why it blew :?

Now the question is, what wattage globes should be used for the warning lamps ?

(cluster bottom, left to right)
Headlight warning lamp
?can't remember? lamp
Oil lamp (red)
Battery Lamp (red)
Low coolant lamp (red)
Oddometer lamp
Air Bag lamp (red)
Check ABS lamp (red)
Economy lamp
Cruise lamp

(cluster center, bottom to top)
?can't remember? lamp (red)
Handbrake lamp (red)
Security led
Spot light lamp
High beam lamp
Indicator lamps

(cluster gauges)
Oil pressure lamp (red)
Low fuel lamp
Seatbelt lamp
Water temp lamp (red)

(cluster general)
general lighting lamps

Rang a dealer to get price and info but he said that the globes were intergrated with the plastic fitting and could not be separated. He stated all globes were 5W and wanted $8.80 per globe :evil:

I know that the globes can be removed from the holder, they are not all 5W (doubt any are that poweful) and can be bought from other places for less than $2 and probably as low as $0.60 so i just need to know their wattage :)

elfalconsapphire wrote:
Mine is doing the same, got a EL falcon, as some of the others have i checked the light, i started to think the LCD just seams to die, similar to a computer LCD monitor, they are complex but they have a little converter to display, i was going to try and find it on mine to see if that was the problem

LCD's are generally quite robust, about the only thing that kills them is cracking the glass.
In the case of the EF cluster the LCD is held about 1cm above the circuit board by a little plastic holder that also separates all warning globes from each other. The LCD is electrically connected to the board by rubber supports with conductive strips that run to the board and bonded to the glass.
Such rubber strips can, and do, cause problems in other devices (early nokia phones suffering failure of this part).
The electronics that drive the LCD's are as prone to failure as any other electronics on your cluster.
If you haven't already checked the globe, and still suspoect the LCD, shine a torch on the odd front and see if the odd reading can be seen with the ignition on, if it can, change your globe :)

Cheers

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

globes blow - it's what they do! :)

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Itchi, dont know if this will help but two things:

1) I think the globes are called T10's. Someone might need to confirmm that but am pretty sure thats what they are.

2) I have my old dash globes here from when I did my dash lights blue. Let me know if you wnat them.

Post subject: Re: Odometer Problems
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I have a Fairmont Ghia cluster in my EF GLi. I pulled my cluster apart to check globes because I was not getting light from two of the backlight globes (they are the eBay T5 3-way LED's). After fiddling around for ages I got them to work. Once I got the assembly back together I found that the odo display did not light up at all - even with pre-tested globes which I tried in several different orientations (so it's not the polarity of the globes either AFAIK).

Also, the clock display no longer lights up.

Are the LCD's on a separate fuse to the dash lighting? Is there anything else that could be causing this?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

help?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

the thread u are asking on is 5 years old...
sometimes the contact pins on the globe holders get bent, u may need to tweek them a little to get a better contact, bend the tabs a little to tighten them up

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I've adjusted the tabs; Ive tried several different bulbs and holders, all of which are proven to work properly in other light fixtures but I get no joy from any of it; not even a flash of light while fiddling around. The clock light stopped working too; I didn't even touch that. So I don't think there's a problem with globes or holders; unless I'm missing something there.

BTW I thought using an existing thread would be better than starting a new one and having everyone crap on about using the search function instead.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:12 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
I've adjusted the tabs; Ive tried several different bulbs and holders, all of which are proven to work properly in other light fixtures but I get no joy from any of it; not even a flash of light while fiddling around. The clock light stopped working too; I didn't even touch that. So I don't think there's a problem with globes or holders; unless I'm missing something there.

check out the technical doco on EF EL clusters documents.php?d=14 and the bit about adding the dimming resistor.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Cheers mate. I thought about trying to add the Ghia BEM to see if that does it, but one of the plugs doesn't fit so I'll get the resistor added.

What I don't understand is this: The Ghia cluster I have used for the last two years has not had this resistor, yet the odo would always light up. It never dimmed as it was supposed to, but came on full strength every time. When I fixed the other lights that were not getting good contact previously, THEN it stopped working... I would have thought if the resistor was needed to get illumination of the odo, then it should never have lit up in the first place?

Anyway, I'll wait and see if the resistor fixes it :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]