Fordmods Logo

odometer 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: odometer
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i am wondering what the best way is to clock up lots of km on an odometer for a lease car that needs to do 25,000km a year, but is 13,000km short with 3 months to go. any ideas??

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

drive it..............

probably best to go as fast as you can legally.... like highway driving

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

its only 1000 a week :P

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

Ever seen Ferris Bueller's Day off?

Jack the back wheels up, then put a brick on the accelerator! Hey Presto!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Is it leased for work? If so then I'm expecting you'd also have a fuel card too. If so then drive it every opportunity you get. Head off on a road trip interstate with your mates.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

lend me the car for a couple weeks. ill take care of all your worriez

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

yes, i have a fuel card, so that is not an issue. will not get the 1,000 per week, very tough even with a couple interstate trip. was thinking about jacking it up, but not sure how 'safe' that is. how does a baII xr6 odometer actaully 'clock' its km? through the wheels i assume?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:46 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

yeah just like every other ford, done via wheel rotations. I can't see what jacking it up and having the wheels rotate would achive though, how fast do you think you will get them to safely rotate?

does anyone know if the BA/BF's store the KM in the dash memcal or eprom what ever its called? if the km are stored in the dash you could look at an option of changing the dash for a higher km on. legally you may have a few issues with this..

Can't understand how a company car does not have the km racked up on it though? my mates who have compnay cars all exceed their annual km requirements within 6 months,

BTW whats the penalty for not traveling the required km in the vehicle? do you loose the option?

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont Ef Futura

VIC, Australia

you can use a walkman cd player and hook it up through the abs sensor and turn it up loud if you use a beater song it can make the pcm think that your doing 240km/h it works quiet nicely

Have you driven a ford lately?
Every Falcon day

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:11 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
yeah just like every other ford, done via wheel rotations. I can't see what jacking it up and having the wheels rotate would achive though, how fast do you think you will get them to safely rotate?

does anyone know if the BA/BF's store the KM in the dash memcal or eprom what ever its called? if the km are stored in the dash you could look at an option of changing the dash for a higher km on. legally you may have a few issues with this..

Can't understand how a company car does not have the km racked up on it though? my mates who have compnay cars all exceed their annual km requirements within 6 months,

BTW whats the penalty for not traveling the required km in the vehicle? do you loose the option?

For jacking up the wheels, if you do it properly, it should be pretty safe. If in doubt, take the car to your local mechanic and have him put the entire car on a hydraulic lift so all four wheels are off then ground, and then put a brick on the pedal! That way, you'll clock up KM's without any doubts.

KM's are stored in the EPROM chip as you travel. Tampering with EPROM readings is highly illegal, regardless of whether you're going to higher/lower KM's, so I wouldn't recommend doing it that way.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thanks all for responses and ideas...

it is a salary sacrifice lease car, not company car. ie. i get stung extra $5k on lease for fbt if i dont hit 25,000km.

yes, i have considered paying a mechanic to run it overnight on a hydraulic lift to make it safe.

can you explain the cd walkman idea please surtees - what is the abs sensor?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:

Depends if ya on the road alot ... I use the work vehicle all the time travelling between work sites - have a BA wagon shes a mk1 and has just rolled over 3000kms hehehe All the sites are within a few kms even though I travel between them heaps.

By not meeting the contracted kms you can be in breach of the lease depending on the lease...can incur additional charges etc or even break the lease. Depends on the contract.

Looks like you need to plan a few good road trips...

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

beermee wtf is wrong with you???
lol it dosent take a mechanic or car whizz to realise that in order to get milege on a car higher you have to literlly drive the car,
the more you drive it the more km's you will do.
if you want 13,000km in 3 months that comes out to 155km a day.
now if the average family car does 90km a day. im sure it should be an easy task considering you have a fuel card.

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont Ef Futura

VIC, Australia

The abs is also the wheel speed sensor on ba/f so if you get a spare plug from the car side of the loom and connect up a pair of head phones to it there are two wires on the abs sensor. have the car running and play the cd play and the will add on the km's or you could driver around australia

Have you driven a ford lately?
Every Falcon day

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Yes, the odo is stored in the Instrument Cluster in an 93C56 Serial Eeprom. However at this stage not only does the IC have to come out but the IC desoldered to edit it.

There is a technique for changing the ODO using an OBD2 tool, (ELM327 or J2534) but it's a bit hit and miss as the rules for changing the Odo don't adhere to what the Workshop Manual says, and be warned that you'll also generate a permanent DTC code that can be picked up by a Ford Service Tool.

However, changing the Serial eeProm can also clear that DTC....

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next