Fordmods Logo

Overiding tailgate central locking??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Twr's on the money - I've repaired the tailgate sensor on mine and a friend's wagon. Water gets in them, a common fault.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NF Fairlane [BLUBEL]

VIC, Australia

Ahhh!

Okay then!

Gives me something to work with.

Actually, the water getting in theory sounds about right, because whenever I wash the car the left indicator goes fast for 3 days afterwards! :P

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:59 am 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Twr's on the money - I've repaired the tailgate sensor on mine and a friend's wagon. Water gets in them, a common fault.

just a matter of swapping it with another? where is the sensor located?

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:15 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Mash85 wrote:
just a matter of swapping it with another? where is the sensor located?
You need to remove the lock mechanism - 4/5 x torx screws IIRC, but you do need to remove the inside trim and the numberplate surround to get to the connecting links, etc. Pain in the a*se job - not hard, just takes time. The switch fits into the side of the lock. The switch isn't meant to be repaired, but that's what I did, as most wreckers may not separate the switch from the tailgate - finding a tailgate with the switch still in is another thing as well(the switch might be corroded out as well). Easiest option is get a new one, although probably pricey as you'd expect from ford. IIRC the same switch is fitted to AU wagons, so should still be available.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Ok then explain why on my EL ghia sedan it does this, the boot light works fine but the doors will lock automatically if un-opened after the car is unlocked and boot opened. I thought it was a security feature so you can open the boot to load things and you dont have to relock the car if not entered. The same as if you accidently press the fob twice when locking the car it will relock after a short amount of time if un-entered.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The inside courtesy light doesn't come on when the boot is open (am I correct ??)So the car will autolock because the BEM thinks no doors have been opened. The boot isn't wired up like a "5th" door. In wagons the tailgate is wired up like a "5th" door, but if the tailgate courtesy light switch fails, you get autolock.
What you can do is to run a wire from the boot light (white wire from memory) to the RH rear door courtesy light switch, perhaps you may need to add a diode or two so as to not interfere wih each other. The result you want is that when the boot is opened, the inside courtesy light will come on, so no autolock. The tradeoff is that the bootlight will come on when any door is opened, hence the diodes. You do need to lock the car once you close the boot, but if the keys are in there, you can still get to them.
If you view a wiring diagram, hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying - hope this helps.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Theres always the option of disabling the feature entirely. Nothing worse than unlocking the car for someone else (and you're not near it) and it locks back up again.

You could connect a relay coil up to the unlock line of the BEM, and make the relay output contacts ground a door switch.

Unlock car -BEM momentarily operates relay - relay fakes a door being opened for a second - no autolock!

Hook the relay up to a switch so you can turn the feature on or off.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
What you can do is to run a wire from the boot light (white wire from memory) to the RH rear door courtesy light switch.
This wire needs the diode inline, to allow current flow toward the boot light white wire.
You'll find you won't be able to lock your keys inside any more - same as the wagons if all the courtesy light switches work.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
I'm sure you've seen spare keyfobs during your travels on ebay Amber :)

shouldn't need a spare keypad, so long as you've got a spare key you can unlock the doors/tailgate.

I would have thought that keyfobs are easier to come across than keys? The keys look mighty expensive (read: need a ford dealer).

Nah, aftermarket ones are avaliable!

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If the rear actuator is working it will send a signal to unlock all doors using a key, if the micro switch is working it will also do the same, even if the courtesy light for the rear is switch off. (Well in a EL wagon anyway)

I know this because my wagon currently hasn't got a Falcon actuator fitted in the tailgate, it was faulty causing lock cycles, removed that only to find out the micro switch also signals the bem to open all doors, I have a bad habit of forgetting to relock the tailgate so I unplugged the switch (I have a cargo barrier so it would be quicker to open the drivers door for a thief, hmm 3 seconds)

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

howd ya manage to chuck ya keys on the drivers seat without opening a door?

good throw i say!

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:56 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Damage wrote:
If the rear actuator is working it will send a signal to unlock all doors using a key, if the micro switch is working it will also do the same, even if the courtesy light for the rear is switch off. (Well in a EL wagon anyway)
Same deal with all wagons interior light wise - best to use the dome light as a guide.
It's not hard to convert EB/ED wagons to the EF/EL rear actuator setup. Aftermarket actuators again are something else . . . . bit noisier, but 'thunk thunk' is better than that E series 'groan'.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2