Fordmods Logo

Painting Rocker Cover 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Painting Rocker Cover
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Mont 2000

WA, Australia

what products do you fellas use to paint your rocker cover?
bunnings sell this stuff branded White Knight, they had Super Chrome, and Super Gold.
is this the stuff you use? cheers

Post subject: Re: Painting Rocker Cover
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I dont think that white knight stuff is high temp paint mate, and that Super Chrome isnt even close to being chrome is more like a metallic silver if you could even call it that :lol:

I stick to VHT and Duplicolor branded hi temp paints when painting most things under the bonnet, havent had any bad experiences with them. Just make sure you prep the rocker cover well before spraying and follow the instructions on the can. Im sure there is a few threads already covering the prep work and all.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Funny KwikXR, I was about to inform CCZ that he should ask YOU and bugger me, you must have read my mind :D

I love the job you did with the black on your Cover, it is something I am going to emulate as is MiniSmurf. :)

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Mont 2000

WA, Australia

any chance you could show us some pics of your under bonnet gear kwik?

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Papa Smurf wrote:
Funny KwikXR, I was about to inform CCZ that he should ask YOU and bugger me, you must have read my mind :D

I love the job you did with the black on your Cover, it is something I am going to emulate as is MiniSmurf. :)

:lol: :lol:

Thanks mate, glad i could sway others into going for a black AU rocker cover :D

cczfairmont wrote:
any chance you could show us some pics of your under bonnet gear kwik?

Sure mate, i'll find them and edit this post with the pictures, i would point you to my build thread which is linked in my sig but even id be looking back through it to find which page it was posted on :lol: ..

EDIT: Okay, this was my second rocker cover which i did using Duplicolor metalcast spray paint. For this you need the Duplicolor Metalcast Groundcoat which is a metallic silver base, i.e has tiny metal specs in it. And as the top coat i used Duplicolor Metalcast Red Anodize, its like a really thin top coat which is almost just a dye, the point of this is to add the colour to the base coat i.e you get your shine from the silver coat underneath and your colour from the top coat. They also have other colors too. With the top coat, the more coats you spray the darker it becomes so i sprayed a few coats of it and got a candy red kinda effect going on, and when in the sun it looks like a mix of red/orange and picks up all the metal spec's underneath it, pretty cool stuff. Also gave it a few coats of clear enamel to seal it and give it a bit more gloss. This also allows you to cut and polish it when it needs it (i.e removing any tiny scratches) without taking off any of the red top coat

My third rocker cover is the AU one which i am now using, has been sprayed using the Duplicolor ground coat first as this stuff is the bomb when it comes to being a base coat for anything metal IMO. Gives the top coat much better sticking ability also and because you can spray it in thick coats without it running, you can fill any scratches or pits in the rocker cover casting. Top coat was just VHT hi temp gloss black. A few coats of the black and a few coats of duplicolor clear enamel and it was done. The fins and lettering were just block sanded back to bare metal just before the clear coating.

Just a few tips when painting it, which is more or less common sense..

1. Strip the rocker cover back to bare metal first unless it is already bare metal to start with which is the case with some covers i've seen.
2. Use a file to remove any casting dags/burrs around the edges to give it a smooth look. Sand the entire rocker cover back smooth starting with course sand paper (i think i started with P150 dry) to remove as much pitting in the casting. Work your way up in grades of sand paper i.e 150, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800. When i got to using the 320 paper i started wet sanding to make it smoother and not make as many scuffs in the cast. I went up to P600 wet sanding i think and let the groundcoat fill up any scratches that the 600 grit paper left.
3. Before you start spraying, clean the entire rocker cover using wax and grease remover to remove and dirt/dust that has got onto the surface - this will ensure the paint will stick as best it can.
4. When you are done, let the paint air dry for say 15mins or so, then go over it with a hot air gun on a low setting or a hair dryer just to heat the paint up an cure it a bit. Leave it overnight to dry or if you're like me, leave it for a few hours before installation.

If you want you can do a light sand between each coat to give it a real good finish, but i never do and i havent had anything go wrong later on so it all comes down to personal preference. As long as you keep the surface as clean as you possibly can before you spray the first coat and between each coat you spray after that you cant go wrong.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Alrightee, thats enough from me, i have a buggered alternator to attend to :x. Hopefully i covered everything there lol. Best of luck with it mate :wink:

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I used one of those VHT products that are designed for high temps, worked a treat.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef xr6

VIC, Australia

will the vht stuff work for extractors too?

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

i used septone exhaust paint from supercheap, rated to 650 degrees celsius. vht also make an equivalent product.
to get it to last i had the extractors bead blasted ($20) first,
the above pics shows how they look a year and bit later.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i see this is a little old but White Knight does come out high temp..saw it today wasnt the right colour for me tho

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]