Fordmods Logo

Pics of blue led dash - EL Falcon 

Page 7 of 12 [ 168 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Pics of blue led dash - EL Falcon
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Lookin for a EB or ED fairmont

SA, Australia

You can make the indicator what ever color you want, just pull the cluster apart and rip the orange filter out ;)

Car got Crushed
R.I.P EB Fairmont 05/06/2010

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EL FALCON FUTURA 98

VIC, Australia

Yeah that was the idea, just wanted that extra brightness at day is all. I've got an EF cluster coming in the post which I will be able to play with and use as spare parts (got a smashed plastic front but only paid $15). Hopefully will be able to get the effect I want with the blue leds for gauges and what ever else the imagination comes up with.
I'm new to here, so a thread may be on the cards when I start the dash mods, and then the front grill and foggies, watch this space.................

98 EL FALCON FUTURA, 5SPD, RACE DISCS, SCT CHIP, EXTRACTORS, IMPCO GAS, SHORT SHIFT, 7 SPEAKER SOUND(PIONEER) WITH 12" SUB

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

hey guys i got a set of white leds for my cluster but cant get them to light up in the cluster i know they work as i tried them in my trip computer any ideas?

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

My dash LED setup using single bulb T5's and T10's though i need some help with the climate control as only the buttons are blue and are barely visible. From reading this thread i have seen how to do the dash cluster LCD by removing the orange film and replacing with white though the CC looks more complicated as LCD is soldered in place.

Attachment:
File comment: My dash cluster
IMG_0222.JPGdash.jpg
IMG_0222.JPGdash.jpg [ 44.81 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Climate control
IMG_0221.JPGcluster.jpg
IMG_0221.JPGcluster.jpg [ 66.4 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]

Does any one have pictures of there CC as most/all on here are EL AC which are different for obvious reasons.
Aslo i dont seem to have the demister or wiper light, is there a trick to lighting them up as i havent actually looked at them as yet to figure out how it works.

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Fairmont Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I'm interested in doing a blue LED mod to my El dash. It's a fairmont version and I would like to do Demister buttons, aircon buttons, Instrument cluster. I think I need 15 LEDs in total.

I was just wondering which are the best LEDs to buy (a link would be greatly appreciated) so that I could get a good consistant lighting effect that's not so bright that it blinds my vision at night but bright enough to stand out and look really good.

Also woundering with taking the orange off the needles and making them clear, Can the needles still be cearly seen during the day?

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey mate,
I got mine from Auto Illimination, he's also a member on here.
Futuraclassic.

Tell him your from Fordmods, and Im sure he'll hook you up.

www.autoillumination.net

Tell him Russ suggested you go to him.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

REW93N wrote:
Hey mate,
I got mine from Auto Illimination, he's also a member on here.
Futuraclassic.

Tell him your from Fordmods, and Im sure he'll hook you up.

http://www.autoillumination.net

Tell him Russ suggested you go to him.

Thanks mate :) Just sent him a message. can't wait to get it done :)

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

Hey guys just wanted to share a few little tips with these dash mods.

1. For the clock/trip computer/odometer use baking paper (the stuff you put in the oven) no fancy filters or soaking paper in wd40 or anything like that and blue leds. . The $2 ebay ones work a treat just make sure you use the flat SMD style not the bulb looking ones.

2. To get the climate control blue you need to take out the orange filter. Do that by pulling the CC unit apart then on the back of the lcd use a stanley knife to cut the white plastic away from the short side of the screen. you only need to trim off about 3mm on the side. once you have done that use the stanley knife to run a score line across the back of the hard plastic orange filter. this makes a "snap line". Once you have done that flip it over (glass on top and filter below)grab the smallest screwdriver you have and slowly push it in between the Glass screen and the orange filter....a bit of gentle persuasion and it will pop out. Just be carefull that you dont scratch the back of the glass screen (angle the blade of the screwdriver away from the glass towards the filter)

The result will be brilliant bright blue dash. I have done this in my LTD and even in full sun in the middle of the day i can see all panels clear as the nose on your face.

Good luck!!

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

fordnut1988 wrote:
hey guys i got a set of white leds for my cluster but cant get them to light up in the cluster i know they work as i tried them in my trip computer any ideas?

Could be that you have the LEDs back to front, they only work one way so you may need to take them out and turn them around.

If its not that it can be that the little wires on the LED arent in contact with the terminals in the socket, just give them a bit of a bend.

other than that have you checked all wiring to the cluster? ie put the originals back in to see if they work?...or get out a multimeter

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

Landau510 wrote:
Hey guys just wanted to share a few little tips with these dash mods.

1. For the clock/trip computer/odometer use baking paper (the stuff you put in the oven) no fancy filters or soaking paper in wd40 or anything like that and blue leds. . The $2 ebay ones work a treat just make sure you use the flat SMD style not the bulb looking ones.

2. To get the climate control blue you need to take out the orange filter. Do that by pulling the CC unit apart then on the back of the lcd use a stanley knife to cut the white plastic away from the short side of the screen. you only need to trim off about 3mm on the side. once you have done that use the stanley knife to run a score line across the back of the hard plastic orange filter. this makes a "snap line". Once you have done that flip it over (glass on top and filter below)grab the smallest screwdriver you have and slowly push it in between the Glass screen and the orange filter....a bit of gentle persuasion and it will pop out. Just be carefull that you dont scratch the back of the glass screen (angle the blade of the screwdriver away from the glass towards the filter)

The result will be brilliant bright blue dash. I have done this in my LTD and even in full sun in the middle of the day i can see all panels clear as the nose on your face.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the tip mate ill give it a go this weekend and see how i go. Im using the flat top T10 blue leds and looks good in footwells and gear selector screen but with climate the control the buttons dont light up as good as id have liked. Havent driven it at night yet but not visible during the day when all the dash, trip computer and such light up like a treat so im thinking these T10 leds dont have enough light span to eluminate the buttons..

As mentioned ill give it a go this weekend and will post up how it turns out..

Thanks again Landau510

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

no worries mate, are the t10s you have like the old style led or more like an SMD?....if it is like a standard LED with a flat top they arent wide beam at all and more like a pencil beam. The ones i used to light up the cc buttons were t10 but they had 5 smds on them, like a cube with an smd style LED on each side and one at the top to saturate the back of the panel

smd = surface mount device (these are flat and usually give off near 180 degree light)

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Here is my latest effort using blue SMD LED's from HK, cheap as chips but the result speaks for itself.

I thing I did do was use some double sided tape inside the cluster to "strategically" tack some foil to, just to help disperse the light better.

The Odometer is filtered with both a single piece of your run of the mill copy paper, plus some baking paper

I also whacked in some white LED's into the AC unit just to see how it looked, but am unhappy with the way the light is dispersed. That is going to be another late night project I think :D

Attachments:
DSC_1550 small.jpg
DSC_1550 small.jpg [ 494.71 KiB | Viewed 366 times ]
File comment: End Result, Blue Dash Cluster (EL with EF faces)
DSC_1549 small.jpg
DSC_1549 small.jpg [ 463.81 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]
File comment: With foil within body of cluster
DSC_1543 small.jpg
DSC_1543 small.jpg [ 374.24 KiB | Viewed 340 times ]

98 EL FALCON FUTURA, 5SPD, RACE DISCS, SCT CHIP, EXTRACTORS, IMPCO GAS, SHORT SHIFT, 7 SPEAKER SOUND(PIONEER) WITH 12" SUB

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Yeah that looks pretty sweet. good thinking about the alfoil too.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

APEXRISE wrote:
Here is my latest effort using blue SMD LED's from HK, cheap as chips but the result speaks for itself.

I thing I did do was use some double sided tape inside the cluster to "strategically" tack some foil to, just to help disperse the light better.

The Odometer is filtered with both a single piece of your run of the mill copy paper, plus some baking paper

I also whacked in some white LED's into the AC unit just to see how it looked, but am unhappy with the way the light is dispersed. That is going to be another late night project I think :D

Do you find that to be a distraction at night when you're driving? it looks very bright.

Looks amazing btw!

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Aussierox wrote:
APEXRISE wrote:

Do you find that to be a distraction at night when you're driving? it looks very bright.

Looks amazing btw!

Cheers Mate, it's not as bright in real life as the camera was on a slow shutter speed. The camera made it look like there's a blue haze but it is still bright, brighter than what it was but without being a distraction. I do love the odometer though and clock, they are bright in the day as well as night!

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 12  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next