Fordmods Logo

Power Window Circuit - Overload Protection? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Came up with a nice working version for one door this weekend, but because I couldn't build a drum with grooves in it, there was a bit of noise from cable interference. Although I got the ratios etc very nice, and the power is just right for a speedy, yet powerfull rise that won't snap the clips on the glass support! Very happy indeed!

Im changing the design now, so that there are two separate "drums" that wind up 2 rotations worth of cable each. They are simply 5 washers, 2 small (the drums) and 3 large (the side walls). These washers are slightly thicker than the cable itself, and will make a very flat unit indeed.

Making 4 units will also be a lot easier :)

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gizmoman/video/winder_1.mp4

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gizmoman/video/winder_2.mp4

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gizmoman/video/winder_3.mp4

May need to change the diameter of the 2 inner washers to something a little smaller - It winds the window up ok, but I would like a bit more torque.

Those ones are 75 mm, so I reckon the standard diameter would be perfect - especially since I tried it on the lighter rear window glass.

All thats left to do is cut a cd spindle protector down to size to get the cable gap correct between the larger silver washers (the black washers are slightly too thick), and grind the pulleys slightly spiral so the cable doesn't overlap over a bump after one complete turn.

All up, a succesfull mod, and nothing that can't be done easily on a drill press with a welder!

Attachments:
pulley_1.jpg
pulley_1.jpg [ 264.29 KiB | Viewed 117 times ]
pulley_2.jpg
pulley_2.jpg [ 125.97 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
pulley_3.jpg
pulley_3.jpg [ 89.15 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

EF II Sedan

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Snap0964 - Found an interesting text while scouring the web for an overload protection idea.

You wrap a few turns of wire around a reed switch, and you have magnetic current sensing. So simple, and if done correctly, you'll never blow a fuse.

Unfortunately, if you simply connected the reed switch up to a relay that interrupterd the power supply to the motor, you'd end up with an oscillating relay and window motor, so the trick is to make the circuit break until the button is released and then pressed again. (working on that now)

Thought this might help you with the auto window winder controller you bought. You could make your own, or maybe modify the one that didn't work properly.

I want all my windows to wind up at the same time when locked, not one after the other like the auto winders apparently do, so i'll be using 4 reed switches and a circuit to sense the load on all four winders at the same time.

EF II Sedan

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, thanks mate. They do auto wind fine now, as I put the rockwell units in the back.
With yours only drawing 2A a piece, having them go up together shouldn't be hard.
Conventional units though, being around 10A each, isn't an option unfortunately.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

The project is almost complete!

I've finished building 3 window winders, and installed them all, complete with custom controller that has overload protection for each window - it opens a circuit breaker per door, and then prevents the window from moving until the switch has been released. This is a better way to do it than a continually cycling circuit breaker (in my opinion), which may eventually allow a reg to stuff up if you were carting something large in the back seat and happened to have the switch on continually. Also, the main CB is rated to carry the power of all 4 windows rising, so it would take a long time to cut out anyway I would imagine.

The cost all up for parts to build the controller and 4 door winders was $242.

The units are all metal so nothing should wear in a hurry, and are whisper quiet apart from that whirr that you want to hear that says "Hey! I got power windows!" :D

One happy modder indeed......

EF II Sedan

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

that's awesome.... Toyota winders should go forever!
I may get me some of these too.

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

All finished!

For anybody interested on how I did this, have a look at the following link. Its not a step-by-step guide, but if you are a fiddler like me (with some holidays up your sleeve), you might just like the mechanics of it.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gizmoman/winders/Power%20Window%20Project.htm

The winders work like a charm, and all go up and down at the same rate etc.

The only thing I don't like about them is the switches I used - I may change this if I find some EF switches, but only if they cost next to nothing :D

EF II Sedan

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:14 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, you've done a good job as always.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2