Power Window Failure - pic's of drivers door wiring added 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Power Window Failure - pic's of drivers door wiring added
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Probably same spec as BenJ's EBI Fairmont Ghia wagon.
Likely if the door ajar wiring is in all doors.
Sounds like the dash and some of the body wiring has been butchered, EF/EL added in.
Bit of a shame, as adding Fairlane bits (cluster, etc) would've been easier if all the wiring was in place.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

True, I didn't get a chance to look at it today. I am fighting off the flu and figured I was better off in bed than outside in the drizzley rain and wind pulling my hair out. :roll:
Won't be too critical about the conversion, it's growing on me. But I haven't seen much of the wiring conversion under the dash yet, I did find a few joins in the loom that were taped up with that brown packing tape :shock:
Anyway, weather is suppose to be better tomorrow, get the fathers day thing over with before lunch and then I can spend the afternoon tinkering with the cars......now that's what I would prefer to be doing on fathers day :D

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V8 LTD DC

VIC, Australia

I recon you got broken wire somewhere between door and body (usual place for broken wire).
I faced these problems before and not only on Fords. If you will remove drivers kick panel you will found the connector plug behind it (and behind insulation as well). Check circuit continuity from indoor connectors to body plug connectors and you probably will find broken wire. It’s not that big deal to put additional wire through the door, cut existing broken wire closer to plugs and solder in new one.

BA XT Wagon 2004 -daily driver
LTD DCII V8 1993
NC-1 1991
NA-II Sportsman 1990- budget project going very slow: full respray is in progress, XR6 engine, rebuild auto, lowered, 3.45 LSD, extractors, LTD leather electric seats, thermofans, NF door trims, NF door handles, complete NCII wiring.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Thanks Peter, it's all sorted now. You were right though, once I removed the kick panel and found the connector, it made life a lot easier belling out the cables. All working and I taped up most of the loom to tidy it up, so it should be good for a while..... :)
here lies the problem
should last a bit longer now
also tidied up a bit of the loom as well and resoldered all joins for the window motor, just in case :wink:
before I taped up the loom
and for the interest of others who may have a similar problem in the future, here's a couple of the connector between the body and door looms
and yes, I cleaned up the oxidation on the terminals :wink:

Also traced the problem with the electric lock to a faulty connector, it would work intermittently if you put pressure on the plug to one side and held your tongue out to the opposite side :P , but because the plugs were sealed, I just cut it out and replaced it with boot lace crimps and a terminal block (temporary measure) until I can steal one from the LTD (I know, there is a reason the connectors are sealed)

Oh, and thanks to everyone who did offer assistance, your help is always appreciated :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Mick

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2