Power Window Installation into an EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Power Window Installation into an EL
Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

Ok guys, its probably so obvious, its probably been done, i have the lovely normal window winders, i want ELECTRIC windows now :) iv looked at the doco, that looks more like, how to make your car more secure... like hooking it up to the smart lock system which is something ill do eventually, but for now, i just want the power windows, SO what do i need? how do i do it? i want all 4 windows too! the doco mainly shows how to do the centre console and how to hook it up to the switches, but of course i need to know how to do the wires and motors :) so if someone has done it, and im sure someone in this AMAZING forum has, because you are all geniouses when it comes to Fords, and im slowly becoming like all of you, then please if you could take the time to help a fello ford boy out, that'd be MUCH appreciated!
thanks guys
Jason

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:12 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

s**t I dont even know who ahs done this mod...try asking Darren at FTG he might have an idea. Fuzion or Nick might.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:52 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

u need motors switces and wires really straight forward i done several cars take door trims off install motors, run the wires to motors, install swithes put it all together and enjoy.
:D

best is to remove it from doner car u self and label all connections but it is all straight forward i am just about to do the same in my elxr8 every day driver, cost me $250 for all the parts, might be more if u need new door trims ie fairmont without window winder holes, get em from the same car.... :D :D

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:27 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

xb351coupe wrote:
u need motors switces and wires really straight forward i done several cars take door trims off install motors, run the wires to motors, install swithes put it all together and enjoy.
:D

best is to remove it from doner car u self and label all connections but it is all straight forward i am just about to do the same in my elxr8 every day driver, cost me $250 for all the parts, might be more if u need new door trims ie fairmont without window winder holes, get em from the same car.... :D :D

exactly what he said....
but....
after having done the four power winodws myself I found it a breeze to pick up the power window door wiring (ie: the wiring inside the door that includes the power windows) because it means that you dont have to mess around pushing wire through stupid conducts. Also it means the plug is there too.

All up mine set me back:
$140 each for the fronts
$50 each for the backs
$10 wiring
about a day to do two windows for me... once I figured it out it was quite a breeze.

Also dont forget the screw bolts from Ford if you are converting, they set me back about $2.50 each....

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, thanks heaps for the info! i gathered i needed motors wires and switches, just making sure i didnt need anything special, pretty sure there was some module needed as well... well ill get that anyways to do the doco mod to connect it to the smart lock system, i was thinking just going to a wrecker, prob FTG, and just get everything ripped out of an EL might see if i can see it in the car as its being ripped out so i know how it needs to look, take a few pics too if i can, then i can just put it all together, n yeah, forgot about those trims :) my trims are a bit shabby atm... cause when i put my new speakers in, i had to rip the original grill out cause the sonys were too bulky! (one of the reasons for wanting power windows, cause the window winder hits the new cover for the speakers :twisted: btw Black Jack, could you take pics as you do it?
thanks guys
Jason

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:57 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Dont think EA-ED will work.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

EA - EL Window regs will all work.
but i'd recommend getting the latest ones possible as we all know they have a habit of failing from time to time.

I've done the conversion in my EF.
we ripped out the interior and replaced the body loom, then installed all the motors etc.
very easy to do, just a bit time consuming.

some tips: clean the power window regs and grease them up.
you'll see there is already grease on them, but it'll most likely be caked in dirt etc.

knock the centre of the rivet out with a centre punch, may be quite hard but they do come out, then drill the remaining parts out.

spray silicone spray in the window channels (the rubbers on the sides) to allow them to slide easier.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

EF and EL have NO wiring for power windows.
so it all has to be added.
when i layed the body loom i got the 12V required from the fuse panel, it was constant 12V (windows operate with car off) due to not going through the BEM.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]