Fordmods Logo

Power Window Problem - EL Falcon Futura 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Power Window Problem - EL Falcon Futura
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL Futura 1997

WA, Australia

I'm banging my head against the steering wheel.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Futura EF

QLD, Australia

Radio_head wrote:
I'm banging my head against the steering wheel.

I think all the switches have to work, I have taken one out that has been playing up and now it never works, but if both are in they work sometimes. Maybe they complete a circuit. When I get time I will see if I can get a new switch from the wreckers, I am still having trouble opening the switches they are fragile.

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I've cleaned out my switches, cleaning the inner parts and all contacts, as there was a fair amount of dirt and a wee bit of gunge there. Have since put them back in place and tried the windows, but no luck whatsoever. The only noticeable thing is that one of the two black plastic prongs (as can be seen in the photo of the disassembled switches in someone's post above above) on one of the switches has melted somewhat and no longer has a usual fully clean point of contact. Instead it has a much flatter point of contact. It could be possible that this means the circuit isn't complete but unlikely.

Where is this relay switch for the power windows? Is it the white cube thing found behind the fuse panel area? I might buy a replacement and whack that in to test it.

Getting inside the switches is a pretty easy job. Let me know what part you are stuck at and I'll explain if you like.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Radio_head wrote:
I've cleaned out my switches, cleaning the inner parts and all contacts, as there was a fair amount of dirt and a wee bit of gunge there. Have since put them back in place and tried the windows, but no luck whatsoever. The only noticeable thing is that one of the two black plastic prongs (as can be seen in the photo of the disassembled switches in someone's post above above) on one of the switches has melted somewhat and no longer has a usual fully clean point of contact. Instead it has a much flatter point of contact. It could be possible that this means the circuit isn't complete but unlikely.

Where is this relay switch for the power windows? Is it the white cube thing found behind the fuse panel area? I might buy a replacement and whack that in to test it.

Getting inside the switches is a pretty easy job. Let me know what part you are stuck at and I'll explain if you like.

I was trying to get into the switch the wrong way but have now learnt how, but I also have one of the plastic rods that is half missing, like it has been melted or sliced. This could be the problem or they can all be like this, I will check my other ones today.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

Radio head, the power windows are controlled thru the body control module (bcm) or also called the bem (body electronics module)
they are easy enough to swap in the EL models, 1 screw at the lower l/h dash panel, near the drivers knee. they slip out and there are 2 wiring plugs that go into them.
may be worth going to a wreckers and asking if u can try one, u need a futura one (blue)
wreckers sell them for around $25. u will need to program it to suit your car, simple as leaving the ign on for 30 mins and the smartlock will learn the codes for your ignition barrel etc, will also need to reprogram your remote key fobs too. (instructions are in the glovebox manual or here if u search)

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

XRfairmont67 wrote:
Radio head, the power windows are controlled thru the body control module (bcm) or also called the bem (body electronics module)
they are easy enough to swap in the EL models, 1 screw at the lower l/h dash panel, near the drivers knee. they slip out and there are 2 wiring plugs that go into them.
may be worth going to a wreckers and asking if u can try one, u need a futura one (blue)
wreckers sell them for around $25. u will need to program it to suit your car, simple as leaving the ign on for 30 mins and the smartlock will learn the codes for your ignition barrel etc, will also need to reprogram your remote key fobs too. (instructions are in the glovebox manual or here if u search)

It looks like I may possibly potentially have a day off tomorrow so I will attempt to locate a wreckers that has a neglected futura in it.

I already had a butchers (look) at the bem out of curioustity, reminded of circuitry of a 1995 486 DX Personal Computer. Not surprising really I guess, as the car was sold in 1997. These days it would be the size of my nipple. If I find one I shall replace it and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Went to a wreckers today and tried another BEM. Took precisely an hour for the thing to sort itself out. After which the power windows still didn't work. Unlikely that two would have the same power windows problem but work fine otherwise.

The wreckers guy had a look at the contacts on my switches which appear ok and then checked the wires for power. Seems that the switches aren't getting any power even though there is definitely power going to the BEM for them. A friend of his suggested I check another hidden plug and wire between the BEM and the switches for corrosion/problems. Will probably do this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Great advice, most of my drinks get split over the area that these wires the wrecker is talking about run along. Hope it work, I will have to have a look at mine too.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Problem Solved!!

It turns out that the problem was the Power Window relay switch found lurking behind the fuse box (see attached picture). The annoying thing was that I had an inkling that it may have been this a couple of weeks back, but wasn't sure that the white cube thing was definitely related to the windows. Swapped it for another working one (took the far more visible rear window demister relay) and bingo bango bongo... the power windows work great.

Attachment:
File comment: Location of power window relay switch
Image054.jpg
Image054.jpg [ 124.5 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

I would suggest to anyone who has a similar double window fail (where the windows stop intermittently a few times over the course of a few days and then die completely) to swap this relay and see what happens. Especially as you have two probably working relays in the fuse box compartment. Minimum effort.

Can't work out where the old relay has failed from a quick inspection but it has nevertheless. Now to buy one to replace my 'borrowed' rear window demister relay.

Attachment:
File comment: failed power windows relay switch
Image055.jpg
Image055.jpg [ 95.81 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]

Cheers for all the advice, it helped me narrow down the problem.

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

That particular position for the relay is not common to all vehicles?

This shows the only relay as being the AC RELAY.

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

XRfairmont67 wrote:
here is a pic of the switches pulled apart.
there is a thin rubber dust shield between the button and the switch case.
lift the rubber up and u will see 2 tabs, 1 each side, put a flat bladed screwdriver inbetween and slightly twist , the clip releases and the button comes out
u can see how dirty the contacts get in there and is easy enough to clean up with a cotton bud. worth a try and is a 10 minute job that costs u nothing

Attachment:
Photo0396.jpg

Sorry to mine this, but, amazingly, I stumbled across this thread through Google.

That being said, I followed this 'guide', and managed to resurrect a stuffed Drivers side window switch in my EF XR6. It got to the stage where I had swapped the looms over, and was using the passenger side switch to pull the drivers side window up. The inside of the switches was black, but a bit of contact cleaner had them spotless and working again.

Thanks for taking the time to throw this up.

Andrew.

Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto
Silhouette SX GHIA AWD

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2