Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Power Windows Done!!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I know i know, do a search. well i have and cant find what i want! :lol:

i want to do a 4 door pwr window conversion on my car, and the package that im looking at has the harnesses and everything.

ive read the doco and i have found one thing that im just not sure about.

where does the power for the windows come from? I have a GLi, so no power windows at all. is there a plug somewhere up under the dash that i can tap into? or do i have to run a cable up to the fuse block... which would be a b**ch.

any help s appreciated.

cheers guys.
Nic

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Last edited by nicco on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You'll see a power windows spot on the interior fuse panel - the yellow power wire is there - you need to add another clip, and the circuit breaker.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

nicco wrote:
Sorry for asking all these questions, but id rather sort it now than when i am half way through! :lol:

well, thats what i said then. but now i'm halfway through it, and i need help!! :lol:

the kit came with the entire floor pan wiring from a fairmont. i've wired everything in and the motors arent winding.

the loom plugged into the plugs under the front drivers kick panel, there were two large plugs in there, and this had the large yellow cables running through it.

i havent been able to get a circuit breaker, im going to have to order one from ford. i used a 30amp fuse to test it, that wont affect it will it? i cant imagine it would.

is there another set of cables or wiring that i need to put in that i dont know about? i'm to whip out a multimeter (after i buy one!! :oops: ) and try and have a look. but if anyone has any suggestions for anything i've missed, let me know.

cheers,
Nic

Last edited by nicco on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Instead of a fuse in that spot there is a 30 amp circuit breaker which plugs in like a fuse (get one from pick and payless wreckers, they might also have an old fuwse block you can rat for a clip to hold it in) :roll: :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF II wagon

SA, Australia

i got the clip out of a fuse block from you pull it. however after 2 odd months of getting bits and pieces from the same place i can't find a c/breaker, or a full loom for front windows only. seems every ef/el futura that comes in are missing these parts.

EF2 wagon stockstandard with plenty of leaks and other problems

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

nicco wrote:
i had trouble getting into the back of the fuse block to see what was connected to the back of the fuse space. Contortionism isnt my best attribute! :lol:also, you said i need a circuit breaker... isnt the fuse in the block going to be enough?
Should be able to see it from the front. Stick with the cct breaker.
Check out a futura or a fairmont for comparison.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

okay guys, thanks for that.

ill go and spy a mates xr in the next few days to sort out exactly whats going on.

ill jump back on here if i have any grief with it after that.

cheers,
nic.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

alrighty guys, i'm now half way through it, and im in the poo!!

the kit came with the wiring loom for the floorpan of a fairmont. it plugs into the rest of the car with the two large plugs in the drivers kick panel.

i've got it all hooked up and tested it and the motor doesnt go.

is there any more wiring that i need to go up into the fuse block or anything like that? Ray, i see you mentioned that i need a another clip to be added? what exactly do you mean there?

also i used a fuse to test the system as i need to order a circuit breaker from ford. that wont of made any difference would it? (i cant imagine it would)

i'm going to go a grab a multimeter tomorrow and run that around and see what i can come up with. any suggestions for where i should look first?

and to add insult to injury, my left hand indicator on the guard is staying on all the time :lol:

cheers guys,
Nic

cheers guys,
Nic

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:54 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

have you made sure the fuel pump is connected ?if not. connect it!!!! ive done a power window conversion recently, if you want help pm me.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

as a matter of fact no i havent got the fuel pump connected. everything from the back seats back (fuel release, boot release, tail lights etc) is waiting to be soldered up to join the new and old looms.

jeez ford wire s**t up kinda crazy dont they.

i'll try that tomorrow morning

and yeah, i'll pm you if i get stuck on anything in particular

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

nicco wrote:
Ray, i see you mentioned that i need a another clip to be added? what exactly do you mean there?
Well the fuse panel will have a fuse holder already, you need to fit another with a lead - this lead is your power, and it goes down to the window switches.

Use the doco and a meter, and do some checking as you've suggested. As long as the fuse isn't blown, it'll be fine for testing - use a 15A or above.
The cct breaker is rated at 30A.

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Well the fuse panel will have a fuse holder already, you need to fit another with a lead - this lead is your power, and it goes down to the window switches.

ah okay

so i should be able to take the fuse panel out from the front and clip another cable into the back? cool. i'll sus that out in the morning as well.

i kinda figured that using the fairmont loom it would cover that, but i spose it could just as easily not.

cheers

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ah ha!! i've finally clicked onto what you meant by add another clip. i didnt even think to check there before.

now the real question is, where can i get a clip like that? i am cool with running a power cable through to the switches, i just need to get a clip.

i will try and ring some wreckers and see if i can pilfer a fuse block. if they are open on a sunday

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

okay guys, i'm know i'm talking alot here :lol: but i think all is going a bit better.

i have wired up all the stuff to the boot, and it all works fine.

except i have some cables left over. its the original loom for the car (on the left) and the fairmont one (right). As you can see i have one straight black cable on the GLi loom, and three on the fairmont loom. Strange bit is, everything works.

(my apologies for the size of the pics, i dont know how to make them smaller out of photobuket)

The car runs, so the fuel pump is going. Back speakers are working. Indicators, brake, tail and number plate lamps all work. Boot and fuel release both work.

i tried connecting the gli black to each of the three fm black ones and nothing happened. i tried to use the continuity tester and none of them made a circuit when i joined them up.

Next thing, i made a makeshift circuit from the power window fuse to the power for the window switches, and it still doesnt go? do i need to run a ground for it or something? that could make a pretty big difference!! :lol:

and finally, i have this random plug on both side of the car on the new loom. it is just long enough to reach down the front of the back seats, or to just poke out the back of the back seats. any one have ideas of what it is?

cheers again guys,
nic

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

and to add insult to injury, the guard indicator is working in inverse to what it should (ie: when i want to be on, its off, when i want it off, its on!!)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next